News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Old Engines  (Read 33290 times)

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 167
Re: Old Engines
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2011, 10:17:48 »
I have looked closer and think that, due to the womans dress style (almost above the knee 'Flapper' style) and hat, we are looking between 1923 and 1930. After about 1930 skirts tended to get longer until WW2 when they got a little shorter again. S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

alfie68

« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2011, 22:44:34 »
Hi,

White lines first appeared in 1918, use grew during the 1920's, in 1926 official guidelines where issued on how and where to use, courtsey of wiki.  :)

alfie68

« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2011, 22:15:44 »
Hi,

Thanks for the tips for dating, would never have given the white lines in the road a second thought.  It's a family photo, so will have to go back & see who married around this time. :)

Offline Mike S

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2011, 16:29:40 »
Was it for a Wedding, there seems to be white ribbons from the Radiator cap going up towards the ladders.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 167
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2011, 15:46:12 »
Could this be for a celebration of some sort? Looking at the young girl on the left and the woman on the right they are both showing a lot of leg, that means post WW1. There is also a white line in the middle of the road, when did they start to appear? I think you are looking at the late 1920's or early 30's. Look for a celebration or a funeral or even a Christmas/New Year parade as it is in the depths of Winter going by the trees. I hope that helps (a bit). S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

alfie68

« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2011, 09:36:24 »

The Colonal, outside St Nicholas Church Strood, I believe. Can anyone help with dating it, Thanks

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2011, 08:47:31 »
It is hoped that our group will be attending the War and Peace Show this year with an Austin K2 ATV and a variety of Trailer pumps, Dennis, Coventry Climax Scammel, plus hopefully if it's finished, our Austin K4 Escape Carrier. The scenario will be a mobile NFS Workshop.

jervis bay

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2011, 08:28:58 »
Last year we purchased a 1962 Commer walktrhu ex NCB mines rescue unit from a chap that lives near Nottingham,he used it for towing his collection of AFS trailers, when not in use for towing his 18ft steam launch, the reason he sold it was to fund the purchace of an ex AFS Austin K2, he does the reenactment thing oop north, I`m trying to persuade him to bring some of his machines to War and Peace...

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2011, 20:36:48 »
S4 :)

OK, Thanks.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 167
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2011, 19:24:45 »
This might help, Jim Egan was the last boss of the internal fire service at the Hospital.

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2011, 19:04:53 »
Sentinel S4 :)

Update. There is a photograph in existence of the Hospital Brigade, but alas, no access to it. Further enquiries are ongoing.

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2011, 22:06:10 »
Phew! Now you're asking! :) Unfortunately, the museum at Brigade HQ has closed so that avenue of investigation has been thwarted. Maybe the East Kent Archives might be able to help you regarding photographs. I'll make some enquiries for you through some of my contacts and see what I can turn up. You never know........

PS. That brass helmet that you held as a lad weighed about 2lbs+ and if still in existense would, today, probally be worth about 500+ depending on its condition.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 167
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2011, 21:30:35 »
Chartham nr Canterbury. It used to be the county asylum and is now a huge housing estate.

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2011, 20:26:22 »
S4 :)

Whereabouts was/is St Augustine's Hospital?

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 167
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2011, 20:13:19 »
Has she got that wonderful whine from the rear end? That was a trade mark of all these machines, according to The Oracle. I have a real question for you; At St Augustine's Hospital they had their own internal fire fighters and engine pump, does it still exist in preservation? If so where could I see it as I remember it but cannot visualise it. Our next door neighbour was the Senior man in charge (don't know the right terminology here) and I remember his brass helmet with the County insignia on an enamel plate fixed to the front. Damn thing was heavy for a ten year old to pick up... S4.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines