News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Old Engines  (Read 35338 times)

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
Re: Old Engines
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2011, 19:39:18 »
Hi Sentinel S4 :)

No, fortunately not too much to do although there is quite a bit of the bodywork that needs replacing/repairing. We reckon about 6-8 months work should see her ready for next years show and event season. All the mechanics are sound and were completed by the previous owner, who very sadly died earlier this year. It was his wish that she be restored to her former glory, and that is what we will do. The only thing that is beyond help is the Bayley escape ladder, but we do have some replacements lined up luckily. She is seen here being "pulled" into her new home! I hope that the restoration works will be able to be followed via our website wwiifire.co.uk once we get started. She appeared in an episode of the TV programme "Foyle's War."

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 167
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2011, 16:05:46 »
Not too much to do on her then............. I noyice the string on the front, are you pulling or being pulled? S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2011, 12:21:13 »
Hi Gatsovandal :)

I have to admit that I was unaware of it being there. How long ago are we talking about? There was a West Midlands Dennis SS131 up for sale on one of the car dealerships forecourts in the Brook 3/4 years back, maybe even a bit longer ago. I wonder if it might have been the same appliance? Quite a few Motor Dealers and Industrial Works/Factories purchased ex-brigade machines for various duties eg; washing vehicles and washing out premises/dust suppression/dry riser testing or indeed their own works brigade. Kemsley Paper Mills, Reeds at Maidstone, Shell Research Labs and CAV all had or have their own Brigades, and of course, anoraks like me and my Son have their own as well!!!  :) :) :)

Here's ours that we've bought as part of a consortium who will be restoring it. An Austin K4 Escape Carrier from 1943. One of only 2 known surviving in this configuration.

Offline gatsovandel

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2011, 14:42:53 »
Now,their used to be a old fire engine parked up what is now auto trend motor services 128 beacon road. Reading this post reminded me of it! and i only just realised it's no longer there? i wander when it was removed and what happen to it? any one else remember the fire engine?

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2011, 09:21:54 »
Ex-Dartford Borough Council's Leyland FT4A Pump Escape. New in 1939 it has an 8.8 litre petrol engine and a 700gpm Gwynne pump. It has a 40 gallon water tank. The laddder is a 50ft Merryweather.

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2010, 08:34:12 »
The Trumpton Fire Engine is currently available as a "musical" limited edition at around ?80 (if you can find one, that is!!) :) :)
(edit)

The Bromley Steamer at Rochester Cathedral in December 1997 for Kent Fire Brigade's annual Christmas Carol Concert.

Jimbo

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2010, 17:37:51 »

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2010, 06:48:04 »
Very nice indeed LenP.

Offline LenP

• Appreciation 23
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2010, 23:20:55 »
Ok, I know it's not Kent, but I thought this might be of interest.
Littlehampton Fire Brigade headed letter, dated around 1900.

DoverDan

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2010, 22:38:18 »
The 1938 Merryweather Turntable Escape Ladder of Folkestone Fire Brigade. This photo was taken in 1944, and the engine EKB 395 was still in use until 1957.

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2010, 20:10:55 »
Another Dover engine.

And one from a bit later...1940.
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2010, 18:45:08 »
I think it's 1899, ellenkate. :)

Extract from "To Fire Committed" The History of Fire Fighting in Kent by Harry Klopper published 1984.

"Comparatively little is known about fire-fighting activities in the important town and port of Dover. Although the town had one of the earliest fire engines in Kent, presented by the Mayor in 1700, records are few about activities in the next 200 years. That such an important port should have been left unprotected is obviously inconceivable, and one must surmise that records were either lost or are buried in some archive. It is most likely that over the years, Dover went through a similar process to other towns of having a volunteer brigade, manuals and steamers. By the begining of the 20th Century, the brigade was under police control, a fact documented in the minutes of the town council on October 2nd 1907, following a big fire in the town the month before."

Offline ellenkate

• Appreciation 55
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2010, 16:08:00 »

Dover Fire Brigade  horse-drawn appliance, photo by Charles Harris.
Is there a date above the wheels?   1889?  1899?

Ellenkate
--------------------------------------
I'm Lincolnshire born and bred

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2010, 13:13:43 »

A few more details/specs of the vehicle.
Regd' 17.6.16, 50hp, 12mph, red, 4t 3cwt 2qr, BAW 6t 0cwt 0qr, FAW 3t 0cwt 0qr, BW 2ft 10in, 8in twin rubber, FW 2ft 10in, 4in single rubber. These solid tyres were replaced with pnematic ones in the late 20's/early30's. The ladder is a 50ft Merryweather wheeled escape, weighing nearly a ton. She was sold out of service by the NFS in September 1947.

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2010, 10:16:11 »
This is Rochester's first motorised appliance just after the Brigade taking delivery of it, in June 1916. It is an Aster/Merryweather Pump Escape. It later became known as "The Colonel." It was replaced in 1941 by a Leyland F5T2 Pump Escape, but continued in service throughout the war in Rochester. It ended its life as a static pump for an EWS near Acorn Wharf by Rochester Bridge. Photo courtesy of KFRS Museum.

Sorry, I messed up on re-sizing the photograph. Here is the correct one below.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines