News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: H.M Submarine XE8  (Read 3238 times)

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 79
Re: H.M Submarine XE8
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 23:12:12 »
Thanks for the link Longpockets, that made fascinating reading.
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline Longpockets

• Appreciation 15
Re: H.M Submarine XE8
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 19:05:48 »
I helped to clean XE8 today at Chatham Dockyard and decided to try and find some details about it once I arrived home. I found some details of its rescue here

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 269
H.M Submarine XE8
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 18:10:06 »
Also known for a time as HMS Expunger and currently residing inside No3 slip at Chatham Historic Dockyard.

Here is a link which gives some info on the XE boats.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XE_class_submarine

The reason for this post is that there is a small project underway at the Yard to prepare XE8 to be better displayed to the public.

Recent visitors may have noticed the scaffold next to the boat. The inside of the boat is currently being cleaned of the 20-odd years of crud accumulated there during her years on the bottom of the sea. Once that's done
, the plan is to separate the hull sections and pull them apart. XE boats were built in 3 sections, bolted together. This was so that they could easily be dismantled and moved by road or rail.

I think the project will also entail the restoration of the casing and hydroplanes, but I'm not certain about that.

The other X Craft on display are displayed like that. The Imperial War Museum has an X Craft on display at Duxford which is in two halves. It might seem a bit drastic, but otherwise, XE8 isn't really much to look at.

With major cuts in museum funding probably around the corner, every exhibit at the Yard is going to have to earn it's keep.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines