News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Crop marks" in grass possibly showing tunnels below  (Read 11427 times)

AnDy

Re: "Crop marks" in grass possibly showing tunnels below
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 15:45:20 »
A few years ago I did a forklift training course and one of the trainers was an ex-military man who was stationed at Connaught Barracks, he knew I was inetrested in tunnels and used to speak of a tunnel running from the barracks to the old fort, I have been there many times but have never found this mystery tunnel.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 09:02:00 »
The infill of the ditch at the western end of Dover's Western Height may be producing the opposite effect on the grass as it appears greener on G.E. A semi circle of greener grass/vegetation can be seen above where I think the buried ditch and double caponier would be. Th s infill may be retaining the rain water better than the chalk next to it. There's all sorts of interesting marks in the fields around Dover. Close to the old road to St. Margarets can be seen where the mineral line from Martin Mill once crossed this road and the foundations of other buildings on the pylons side of the road. Were these part of the old aerodrome? I can vaguely remember buildings being somewhere near there in the 1950s. Between the road and curving course of the railway is a circular mark. Any ideas what that was?

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 18:03:10 »
That's right I should think. In my example though I'm very familiar with that field having worked for the  I'd be interested to know if anyone has any similar examples that can be seen on Google Earth where a tunnel is known to lie underneath and where the grass/crop looks different.

seafordpete

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 16:42:53 »
Your theory is right but it can also be grubbed out hedge or fenceline, soil drains or water, etc. pipes - virtually any disturbance will show for years either as reduced height in the growth or different colouration.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
"Crop marks" in grass possibly showing tunnels below
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 09:48:39 »
While looking on Google Earth at the Fort Burgoyne, Dover area Ii've noticed that the grass in the field above a tunnel that  leads from the counterscarp wall shows a lighter colouring.This narrow strip of grass follows the direction of the tunnel which i believe was dug as a sallyport going under the Guston Road and then under this field. Having seen similar effects on grass and crops on TV history programmes where there is something underneath other than just soil, I was wondering if anyone has similar examples? Despite regular grazing by cattle the marks in this field persist. A tunnel in the chalk would appear to affect the drainage of the area above and so show marks in the grass etc. That's my theory anyway.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines