News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Radar Station kingsgate  (Read 19808 times)

Scopie

Re: Radar Station kingsgate
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 09:18:29 »
When I started this research I approached the 2 museums at Manston for further information, and neither of them said they had anything. Might be worth another try, as there seems to be very little documented evidence on this site. I did a search yesterday on 1950s images of Palm Bay, and found the photograph below.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16810493@N06/5433561893/in/photostream/

You can see in the background the Type 54 radar on its 200ft mast to the right, and on the left the emergency exit and moist air vent for the R2 bunker.

Offline doug

• Appreciation 14
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 19:57:58 »
The RAF Manston museum, has about six photos of the site, one taken from the top of the tower, looking straight down to the top of the guardroom entrance, The chap who took the photo had to go right to the top of the tower to do some work, The top overhangs the mast, and he did say getting a 12ft wooden ladder on to the top platform was interesting. [No HEALTH AND SAFETY Nazis then]

Scopie

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 17:07:46 »
Islesy,
         The site is ongoing project, and I expect it to be launched sometime after Easter. Spending the next couple of weeks proof reading and carrying out administration. Will let you know when the site goes live via this forum.

Kind Regards

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
    • National Three Peaks Challenge 2012, raising funds for Help for Heroes
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 09:27:38 »
Been reading through this thread with interest Scopie, could you provide a link to your website please?
Three Peaks Challenge 2012 - raising funds for Help for Heroes
www.bmycharity.com/Islesy

Scopie

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 17:41:45 »
Doug,
       My apologies, but information came from the English Heritage "Cold War Project", so obviously listed the wrong map reference. It seemed quite weird as I have just found a Aerial photograph from 1957 that still shows the left hand side of the golf course, but unfortunately not the RAF Site. Any details you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Do you know if the council, even demolished the R2 bunker? As looking at the location on Google earth there is no raised mound as evidence to a underground structure, as there is at other ROTOR sites. 

Offline doug

• Appreciation 14
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 17:14:04 »
RAF Foreness radar station was never on the site of what is now the miniture golf course, the boundary to the golf course is the same now as it was when it was built in the 1930s.The boundary fence to the Kingsgate side of the golf course is the boundary fence to the radar site, the guardroom was to the corner of the fence with the track/footpath called the rideing.

Scopie

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 15:26:43 »
No records exsist at the National Archives relating to the station during the ROTOR period. Have also asked Margate Historical Society and the 2 Museum's at Manston and no one had anything in their archives. I am thinking about putting an advertisment in a local paper for people to come forward with information. I have done this for information on the site at Beachy Head and have been swamped with information. If its at all possible to take a photo of the plans, that would be nice if not I can forward my mailing address. Thanks Kev LJ

Scopie

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 09:53:02 »
 :) The Radar station you are talking about is RAF Foreness. RAF Foreness was A C.H.E.L Chain Home Extra Low Station and was situated on waht is the minature golf course on the Ridings. Its three letter designator within the ROTOR system was (WJW).The station was Operational from 1953 till 1958 with a type 54 Mk 2 radar on a 200ft tower.The Type 54 was an S-band radar used to detect low flying targets. It started its life as an Army coastal defence (CD) radar used to detect coastal shipping. The narrow beam width produced by the parabolic antenna was ideal for detecting low flying aircraft close to the coast that were flying below the cover of the CH and CHL radars. The station was demolished sometime in the 1960s by Margate Borough Council, and no evidence now exsists. The site consisted of a Guardhouse that led to a single level R2 underground operations bunker. I am really interested if anyone on this forum has information at all on this site from 1953 onwards. I am in the process of putting a website together detailing all the ROTOR radar stations in the UK, the site should be up and running sometime after Easter 2011. So if you have any information please contact me.

Offline doug

• Appreciation 14
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 18:35:30 »
 information and photos of the Foreness Radar are on display at the RAF Manston History Museum, along with other radar units.

jael

Radar Station kingsgate
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 23:04:25 »
Does anyone remember the Radar tower on the cliff top near what is now called the ridings?  I seem to remember it being pulled down probably in the mid 50's.  Was it part of the CHL

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines