News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Caves near Strood  (Read 19352 times)

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
Re: Caves near Strood
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2010, 07:05:28 »
That's how it was in 1967 stewyrey.As far as i can remember the cave entrances were facing the river.Did you see them?

Offline stewyrey

• Appreciation 7
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2010, 03:20:16 »
I recall going there with my mate in the early 80's, wasn't as overgrown with trees and bushes as
it is now.

stewyrey.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2010, 18:28:52 »
That's an interesting site seafordpete which i haven't come across before.I'll have to look at it in more detail.I was just doing a bit more research.
Quite a bit can be found about the Chattenden and Upnor Railway on Wikipedia.Also on Wikipedia in an article about Upnor in the industry section there is a mention of high quality moulding sand being taken from a pit in the area.I wonder if the caves were also dug to excavate this sand?There might be a sizeable cave system under that hill but with the entrances now sealed unless someone knows differently.

seafordpete

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2010, 18:15:29 »

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2010, 18:03:57 »
I'm not really familiar with this area.Were the Lodge Hill Magazines in a down river direction?Looks like there's a Richmond Lodge on the map but i think the tramway disappears off the map beyond this.A short branch of the tramway goes in the direction of where i think the cave entrances were.This branch could just be a shunting neck though like we had on the railways.

seafordpete

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2010, 16:52:51 »
.Any ideas on the little tramway?
Line that used to run from the riverside up to Lodge Hill Magazines?

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2010, 16:44:11 »
The tipper lorry was a newer version with 4 very large tyres like you now see on construction sites so no telling what the army were up to.The farm i worked on had some old WW2 trucks seafordpete which is where i got a bit an interest in the things.Thanks jaj for the info about the plantation.Any ideas on the little tramway?

jaj

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2010, 10:53:10 »
Where the map details 'Ordnance Plantation' that area later became Tower Hill Camp (wood nissen huts) and by the date of the map that must have occurred post 1938. 

In the 1970's the camp was used by the local authority for temporary homeless families. 

seafordpete

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2010, 10:05:55 »
No ideas as to that AnDy,unless the R.E.'s had their own little wood.Talking of sand though i was working a train up to London Victoria and had started checking tickets.While going over Rochester Bridge i glanced to my left and saw a large army tipper type lorry driven by a sergeant heading towards Strood.This lorry carried a load of sand so they were using quite a bit of it somewhere.
Yes i see the tank field is next to the plantation merc.Whole area seems to have quite a military connection.
Not unusual, some of the older tippers were ver
y unstable when empty and were always driven ballasted with sand. We took and old Aveling Barford (built 1948, crash gears and still in service 1980) to Germany that was ballasted with shingle much to the drivers delight who sold it to a german farmer and brought back earth!! It was also an excuse to fill the truck with NAAFI duty free booze too (so I'me I'm told). The plantation may have been for game shooting for the officers, they had several pheasant rearing pens at Lodgehill in the 1980s made up of old somerfield tracking.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 08:09:18 »
No ideas as to that AnDy,unless the R.E.'s had their own little wood.Talking of sand though i was working a train up to London Victoria and had started checking tickets.While going over Rochester Bridge i glanced to my left and saw a large army tipper type lorry driven by a sergeant heading towards Strood.This lorry carried a load of sand so they were using quite a bit of it somewhere.
Yes i see the tank field is next to the plantation merc.Whole area seems to have quite a military connection.

AnDy

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 03:12:07 »
Just to the left of the word Upnor is an 'ordnance plantation' nr the allotments, wonder what that was???

merc

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 00:53:51 »
On medwayboy's map, top right at Upnor is 'Tank Field', that was named after a watertank that was there and the name stuck :)

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 22:27:28 »
What i seem to remember Paul was that the entrances were roughly shaped.Otis mentions that the R.E.'s train in this area so this might have been some of their work,training for troops before they went to France etc.The caves may have been in a cliff face on the hill.Has there been bulldozing of soil to cover these caves entrances in more recent years?This has happened at Dover during the clearance of WW2 tunnels up on the cliffs.Just looked at otis map again and is that a tramway going along the foot of the hill?Would the R.E.'s have been loading sandstone/sand into rail trucks?One end of the tramway(?) would be about where the caves were and at the oth
er end is a river landing stage.

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 17:44:15 »
The 1871 -!890 map on KLIS shows what look like formal gardens in that area.
Could they have been to do with that?
Maybe it's big horse I'm a Londoner. :{

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 16:43:38 »
That's the right map medwayboy.The cave entrances might have been in the slope under the word "Hill" of Tower Hill on your map.I seem to remember they looked out over the River and that there was more than one cave.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines