News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Caves near Strood  (Read 19363 times)

medwayboy

Re: Caves near Strood
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 08:40:53 »
This is a bit earlier at 1938 but can you see them on here or is the position wrong?

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 08:27:45 »
I just thought of Google Earth(i am getting on a bit)and had a look.It's been developed quite a bit over the years with a new road called Vanguard Way.The sandstone hill appears to now be covered in scrub which may well be covering cave entrances if they still exist.The lake is still there.On the street view from Vanguard Way there appears to be security fencing between it and the hill.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 08:01:06 »
Hi otis,thankyou for your reply.I found an entry in my notebook of this little excursion.It was in the middle of January 1967 and i was off work due to a cycle accident.This was the same day i went down a tunnel at Fort Pitt.The entry says "I went past Whitehall Creek with it's rotting barges.Near Upnor i went up a slope on a sandstone hill.There were tunnels leading off into it.I looked over the Medway and at an army R.E. depot around a lake.Over the other side was Chatham Dockyard."The army lorry mentioned was just from memory.I had a couple of maps of the area which is where i must have got the place names from.

Offline otis

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 00:34:29 »
Tower hill has a circular network of roads spiralling up it and a huge sandy plateau on the top. I think the Royal Engineers use it a big sandbox to practice excavations in ?

Have not noticed any caves there. Are you able to describe wherebouts by the hill ? Quite near my place, but not been over that part for a while.

regards Otis
"there was more hit than miss about this arbitrary bombardment"

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
Caves near Strood
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 09:55:34 »
Many years ago i can remember taking a train to Chatham Station,walking to Rochester,over the bridge to Strood and along the road by the River.There was a steep footpath climbing up between old chalk pits.Going by O.S. maps i think this area is Frindsbury and has a church at the top of the hill.I came down again beside a creek(Whitehall?) and eventually found myself on a flat area.There was a hill(Tower Hill?)which i seem to remember being of a rock other than chalk.In this hill i seem to remember some caves which i didn't explore.Parked nearby unattended was an old green 3 axle army lorry.Any know this area and any caves that might be there and their purpose?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines