News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Hoath & Chislet Platoon Home Guard  (Read 5246 times)

TerryBM

Re: Hoath & Chislet Platoon Home Guard
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 18:47:29 »
Re: Albert & Ernie Hammond.
I have these two men in my family tree.
I think they work out as being my 1st cousins 3x removed.
My relationship comes via George Thomas Hammond & Ada Eliza Bourne who are my Great Great Grandaparents on my mother's side.
Terry

Mike

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 22:01:52 »
 I now, with this picture, have to break my promise of secrecy I made fifteen years ago. I and my friend found one site where these guys trained and were to defend come invasion. The farmer who gave us permission to scan his land with metal detectors and do research did so on the promise we would not reveal what we found.

If you type in Ford Hill Hoath on Google maps then click satellite, scroll down to below the farm and the line of trees on the right. The line of trees border a stream that runs under a bridge on Ford Lane and then through a pipe, on a route a German seaborne invasion could have taken from low lying coastal areas around St Nicholas at Wade for instance. In the top left hand corner of the field we found evidence of a possible bunker and a practice firing range. Spent .303 cases, tunic buttons and corroded unspent mortar cartridge/fins, but on the ridge in the trees to the left of the road there was more.

First investigation showed two horseshoe shaped earth mounds overlooking the bridge below. Scanning with the metal detectors turned up more .303 cases but this time with square primer indentations (machine gun) probably a Vickers.  So the picture emerged, they were no doubt to blow the bridge and defend to the death in the event of invasion and no doubt our farmer also is in the picture, but sworn to secrecy as regard their wartime suicide mission?

Offline alysloper

• Appreciation 7
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 13:31:39 »
Lovely clear picture! Are any of these stalwarts still around, I wonder?

Thanks
Ian

Hammond of Woodchurch

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 08:20:27 »
The picture of the home guard is my Grandad Ernie Hammond in the sitting row far right, and in the back row 6th from the left is Albert Hammond my Uncle. There is a copy of this picture at The Gate Inn at Marshside with all the names printed under it.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 422
    • Sheppey History
Hoath & Chislet Platoon Home Guard
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 18:28:55 »
From Nicholls of the Blean :)

My father Cpl. Donald  E Nicholls is in the front row sitting on chairs 7th from the left ,in the front row sitting on the ground 2nd from the left is Fred (Snowball) Hammond and in the middle row 4th from the left is Ernie Beadle,does anyone know the names of the other members (I believe there were Ireland,and Morgan's in the platoon).
Nicholls of the Blean.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines