News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: V2 attack at Salters Cross, Strood  (Read 18138 times)

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
Re: V2 attack at Salters Cross, Strood
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 16:44:59 »

I wonder if it was a mis-calibrated one aimed somewhere else? (Dartford or Gravesend area perhaps?)

I would think that is more than likely the case, as London was considered to be the target that they were aiming for.

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 16:33:09 »
I'm now intrigued by why a V-2 hit Strood. I can understand some locals wanting to drop a bomb on Strood, but I doubt Hitler would, certainly not an almost random residential area. I wonder if it was a mis-calibrated one aimed somewhere else? (Dartford or Gravesend area perhaps?)
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

Offline rossco

• Appreciation 7
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 12:23:32 »
Says below a V2 landed in Strood in feb 1945. Looking on the CWGC website, theres the following listing for a civilian casualty on the same day at Rede Court garage:

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=3116484

(edit - just noticed I posted the same info as asfrochester)

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 09:48:18 »
Hello Megapack162.

From Front Line County by Andrew Rootes.

18/2/45        2 killed, 4 seriously injured, 18 slightly hurt. Casualties shown as a result of a Rocket Attack.

From CWWC.  Civilian War Dead Rochester Municipal Borough.

Isabella Claddish 75, injured at Rede Court Road 18/2/45, died 22/2/45 died in St. Barts Hospital.
Charles Victor Huckstepp, 19, injured at Rede Court Garage, died in St. Bart's Hospital the same day.

The information I had been given was that a V2 landed somewhere between the old Winget's Sports Gr
ound and Rede Court Road, but there appear to be conflicting accounts, as so often happens in incidents like this.

Both my parents lived in Strood during the War, so I'll see if they can throw anymore light on the subject.

Offline Megapack162

• Appreciation 3
V2 attack at Salters Cross, Strood
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 20:27:56 »
Can anyone shed any further light on the article that appeared in Medway Messenger's "The way we were" on Friday 20th August 2010?

The main article reports that a V2 rocket struck in Rede Court road during "late 1944" but I've not been able to find any information about this event. It's hard to spot the obvious signs of a strike, such as sudden changes in house styles as Rede Court road is made up of lots of individual builds apart from the first 6 semis on the north side of the road by Salters Cross itself.

Cheers.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines