News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: V2 attack at Salters Cross, Strood  (Read 18165 times)

Offline lutonman1

• Appreciation 2
Re: V2 attack at Salters Cross, Strood
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2018, 18:41:14 »
I remember hearing this V2 rocket coming down, I thought it was on a Sunday morning. I was at home in Chatham, when this loud explosion occurred. Then I heard the swoosh of it coming down, moments later. Something to do with the speed of sound.
MoK

Offline Megapack162

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2011, 16:03:36 »
I finally got around to taking a picture showingthe differences between the original houses (2) and the rebuilt houses (1).

You can see how in the rebuilt houses the chimneys run up the outside of the walls (1) before arching together and continuing up to the chimney stack, whereas in the original houses the chimneys run up to the attic space independently before merging internally and exiting into stacks that are flush to the end walls.

These are about the only differences that are visible, there may be subtle differences internally or at the rear. The very last house has a single, central chimney running up the wall rather than ones from the front and back rooms.

Offline Lutonman

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2011, 17:49:56 »
Thanks Peterchall

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2011, 22:00:22 »
Hi Lutonman,
Have you seen this thread, which seems to be running in parallel? The last few posts specifically mention the Salters Cross incident.
http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=7582.0
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline Lutonman

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2011, 21:37:40 »
Only just read this thread, I recall that my Aunt worked in a Cafe on the corner of Rede Court Road and was injured when a rocket dropped outside. She had gone to the back of the Cafe just before it hit. A soldier puller her out and she walked all the way back the Hartington Street in Chatham before being told by her sister (my Mum) to get the injury attended to.

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2011, 18:18:44 »
Found this.

Feb. 18, (11.57 hours) - Batt. 1./485 (Art. Reg. 1./902), Den Haag, Statenkwartier, V-2 rocket fired, impacted Rochester, Kent. 1 Dead, 22 injured.
Maybe it's big horse I'm a Londoner. :{

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2011, 17:57:24 »
The "The Way We Were" article that I highlighted at the start of this topic definitely states that it was a V2 and the maps that Leofwine has posted here and in the V1 and V2  hits on Kent (general) in "Air Raids" back this up.

I had a closer look at the semi-detached houses at the Salters Cross end of Rede Court Road opposite the petrol station recently, the last 2 pairs of semis have a very different external chimmney arrangement with the westernmost house being totally different again and there are other slight differences too.

Before I read that article and had a closer look at the houses, I'd never have noticed the differences, I'll try to take a few photos and post them later...

When I took my father up to Bexleyheath last year to look at his childhood haunts he showed me several places that had been destroyed by bombing & V-waepons, and the rebuilds were very hard to spot, often very small such as chimney arrangement, slight differences on window/door placements, etc. It seems that when rebuilding destroyed houses the often tried to keep the new builds as close as possible to existing ones. My father tells me that in the Bexley heath case many of the builders were still in the area when the war started, so they were often the ones who did the rebuilds. I wonder if this was the case in Strood too?
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2011, 15:33:22 »
This, I assume, is the V2 mentioned in Bob Ogley's Doodlebugs and Rockets as having fallen on Rochester [sic] at 12.01 on 18/2/45. It seems that by this time the guidance mechanisms were being set rather hurriedly and/or carelessly: other V2s that month were recorded as having fallen in the sea off Clacton (3) and in the sea off Folkestone - both quite a way from London...

Offline Megapack162

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 12:25:54 »
The "The Way We Were" article that I highlighted at the start of this topic definitely states that it was a V2 and the maps that Leofwine has posted here and in the V1 and V2  hits on Kent (general) in "Air Raids" back this up.

I had a closer look at the semi-detached houses at the Salters Cross end of Rede Court Road opposite the petrol station recently, the last 2 pairs of semis have a very different external chimmney arrangement with the westernmost house being totally different again and there are other slight differences too.

Before I read that article and had a closer look at the houses, I'd never have noticed the differences, I'll try to take a few photos and post them later...

seafordpete

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, 10:53:41 »
By that date it has to be a V2- out of range of V1s  as the front line was into Germany by then

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2011, 18:34:16 »
HiYa TWWW Welcome to the KHF :)
Was It a V1 or a V2 ?
Maybe it's big horse I'm a Londoner. :{

Offline Megapack162

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 15:50:54 »
Hi Megapack - have only just joined the forum so this is my first reply. If you look at the Messenger The Way We Were pages this coming Friday you will see a map drawn up by the deputy head of the Civil Defence for the old Strood RDC. It indicates a V1 in the vicinity of Rede Court. I am pretty sure there is a picture of the damage in the KM Archive - I'll look it out.

Regards TWWW

Hi TWWW,
I'll keep an eye out for it falling on my doormat Friday afternoon and thanks for the heads up about the archives, there must be more about it somewhere.

From the map it looks to be the only one to hit a built up part of Medway unless the Hoo Peninsula hits were unfortunate enough to hit any of the many villages and hamlets dotted over it?

Cheers Megapack162.

TWWW

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 09:28:19 »
Hi Megapack - have only just joined the forum so this is my first reply. If you look at the Messenger The Way We Were pages this coming Friday you will see a map drawn up by the deputy head of the Civil Defence for the old Strood RDC. It indicates a V1 in the vicinity of Rede Court. I am pretty sure there is a picture of the damage in the KM Archive - I'll look it out.

Regards TWWW

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 02:19:21 »
A V-Weapon bomb map, made by plotters at Biggin Hill. Definitely shows how much more concentrated the V-2 attacks were. Also shows the one that fell on Strood - looks like it was the only one to fall in Medway.

Map Compiled at the End of the War Showing V-2 Impacts. It shows how the mis-calibration the  information our double agents sent worked to shift the hits generally eastwards protecting a large part of central London at the cost of the Eastern Suburbs.

(Larger versions can be found here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/22124479@N03/4997541198/in/photostream/)
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 18:18:57 »
I've just spoken to Mum. She remembers the incident being on a Sunday about mid-day and believes that the V2 actually hit a house in Rede Court Road.

Leofwine; I've got some notes on the V2  somewhere! I'll try and find them and see what I can turn up. I know a mate mentioned Antwerp, as well. I'll check with him.

Thanks Leofwine. I cant' believe I missed Antwerp on your list. Going daft in my old age!

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines