News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: HMS Kent (In service 1901-20)  (Read 16437 times)

Offline Ex-Chalky

• Appreciation 10
Re: HMS Kent (In service 1901-20)
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 19:57:56 »
This is the memorial to the fallen of HMS Kent, from its action in the Battle of the Falkland Islands in December 1914, on the north wall of the nave of Canterbury Cathedral:-

As a guide there I have been asked why the privates are listed in the order they are, rather than alphabetical.   I've no idea nor it seems does anyone else!

I have found a couple of mistakes, the middle initial of Pvt. W S Kind should actually be J, and Pv.t Kelley had the second e left out of his name. However, determining the order is still a problem.

This is the information I have so far found about all the men:-

SPENCE, THOMAS. Serjeant, PO/5674.
Royal Marine Light Infantry.
Died Saturday 12 December 1914. Aged 46.
Buried Stanley Cemetery, Falkland Islands. Grave Ref: I. 783.
Born 30th July 1871 at Sheriff Hutton Yorks. Brother James, 408 New Cross Road, London.
Thomas was one of the ships six inch gun's crew in A.3 casemate. He is very severely burnt about the head, face, trunk and limbs. After being treated for his injuries on H.M.S. Kent, Tom was taken to the Falkland Islands Hospital at Port
Stanley. His condition on arrival at the hospital was recorded as being of a serious nature, and his ultimate recovery was doubtful. Whilst being treated at the hospital, Tom ultimately succumbed to his injuries on Saturday 12 December.
Note: The Commonwealth War Graves Commission records the date of death as 24th December.

KIND, WALTER JAMES. Private, PO/15049.
Died Wednesday 9 December 1914. Aged 29.
Born 104 Wellington Street, Leicester, Leicestershire.
Son of James and Mary A. Kind (née Makin).
Walter was one of the ships six inch gun's crew in A.3 casemate. He was very seriously burnt about the head, face, trunk and limbs. He was put to bed in the sick bay. Picric acid dressings were applied and morphia administered, but he died of shock at 1500 hours on Wednesday 9 December.

Note: Memorial shows wrong initial for middle name – S instead of J!

WOOD, WALTER. Private, PO/16920.
Died Tuesday 8 December 1914. Aged 20.
Born 10th May 1894 at Fratton, Portsmouth, Hampshire.
Son of Charles and Hannah Wood of 1, Charles Road, Kingston, Portsmouth, Hampshire.
Walter was serving in one of the ships six inch gun's crew in A.3 casemate when an explosion occurred. He appears to have been killed instantly, his body being rigid with the hands and arms in the position he would have been in when holding a cartridge. He was very severely burnt about the face, trunk and limbs.

KELLEY, SAMUEL. Private, PO/3793. RMR, A566
Died Tuesday 8 December 1914. Aged 45.
Born 6th November 1868 at Portsea, Portsmouth.
Husband of Kate E. Kelley (née Mayes) of 62, Chevening Road, Kensal Rise, London.
Samuel was injured by a shell which took off both his legs below the knees. He also had a scalp wound and fracture of the occiput. He was attended during the action and later removed to the sick bay. He was in extremis when seen, and died about two hours after the action ceased at 2100 hours.

Note: The cathedral memorial shows his name as Kelly, while the Commonwealth War Graves Commission records it as Kelley.  As does the ship's log.

TITHERIDGE, ARTHUR CHARLES. Private, PO/11220. RMR Po B 1254.
Died Tuesday 8 December 1914. Aged 33.
Born 2nd June 1881 at East Meon, Petersfield.
Wife: Bertha, 3 Spring Street, Forton Road, Gosport.
Commemorated on the East Meon, Hampshire civic war memorial.
Arthur was Gunlayer of the six inch gun in A.3 casemate. He was very severely burnt about the head, face, trunk and limbs. He was removed to the Sick Bay where picric acid dressings were applied and morphia administered, but he died of shock at 2340 hours the same night.

SNOW, GEORGE. Private, PO/16958.
Died Tuesday 8 December 1914. Aged 19.
Born 9th April 1895 at Alverstoke, Hants.
Father: Harry, 3 Pelham Road, Gosport, Hants.
George was one of the ships six inch guns crew in A.3 casemate. He is very severely burnt about the head face, trunk and limbs. He is removed the Sick Bay, where at the time of receiving treatment for his injuries, his condition was recorded as being very serious.

Note: The Commonwealth War Graves Commission records his date of death as 20th December.

DUCKETT, GEORGE ALFRED. Officer's Steward 1st Class, L/2428.
Royal Navy.
Died Wednesday 9 December 1914. Aged 21.
Born Brixton, London 22 October 1893.
Son of Alfred and Isabel E. Duckett of 4, Tasman Road, Stockwell, London.
Also another address given as 184 Leander Road, Brixton Hill, London.
George was working as one of the ambulance party in A.3 casemate. He was very severely burnt about the head, face, trunk and limbs. He was conveyed to the Sick Bay. Picric acid dressings were applied and morphia administered. He died from shock at 2155 hours on Wednesday 9 December.

YOUNG, WALTER. Seaman, C/2453
Royal Naval Reserve.
Died Tuesday 8 December 1914.  Aged 32.
Born 18th May 1882 at Poole Dorset.
Wife: Rose, 4 Russell Place, Poole, Dorset.
Walter was injured by a splinter. He received a perforating wound of the chest, the splinter entered below angle of left scapula behind, perforating pleura lung and ribs behind and in front and lodged below the outer side of left nipple just beneath the skin. He was attended to during the action and later removed to Sick Bay. He was in extremis and died at 2130 hours on 8 December.

As you can see, the privates are not quite in service number order.   It is complicated by two of the men being much older - perhaps they were time served men who were recalled from the reserves?   Could the order be one based on date of enlistment/reenlistment?   Could it be in order of the date on which they were posted to the ship?

Can anyone tell me what the order actually is?
In the interests of preserving the environment no trees were harmed in the transmission of this mess

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 85
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 12:57:38 »
I love the wording on the Certificates  :) and how nice to have them from over 100 yrs ago  :) We have lost hubby's over time sadly, just a few 'odd' photos left now. Not from HMS Kent though.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 12:28:39 »
January 1st, 1919 HMS Kent now an old lady of the seas who has seen distinguished action in the Falkland Islands, the Pacific coast and China, is now in Vladivostock, supporting the loyal Russians against the Bolsheviks.

Offline alkhamhills

• Appreciation 23
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 17:32:07 »
Here is my grandfather's cert from King Neptune, when he crossed the Equator on 21.3.1911

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 16:43:00 »
She must have been re commissioned about this time as on the 8th December 1914 she sank the German cruiser Nurnberg in the Battle of the Falklands.

Offline scintilla

• Appreciation 17
    • Kenticisms
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 13:31:19 »
This is a similar image to the first posted.

The Association of Men of Kent and Kentish Men took a keen interest in the county ship and presented annual cash prizes and medals for gunlaying. In addition the Association "regarded HMS Kent as a portion of their County"

At the start of WW1 was undergoing refit and was due to be recommissioned on 2nd October 1914.

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 265
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 20:44:13 »
The HMS Kent of this thread was built at Portsmouth, but 2 of the 12 were built at Chatham. The first was built as HMS Impregnable and launched in 1810. She was renamed Kent in 1888 and was later renamed to Caledonia and broken up in 1906. The other Chatham-built HMS Kent was a County Class Heavy Cruiser, launched from No 8 slip in 1926 and broken up in 1948.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline alkhamhills

• Appreciation 23
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 14:42:13 »
There have been 12 navy ships given the name Kent. First was in 1652 and the last in 1998 (and still in service). According to Wikipedia.

Offline alkhamhills

• Appreciation 23
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 20:03:15 »
According to the Maritime Quest website, HMS Kent was sold in Hong Kong in June 1920 and scrapped, presumably there.
Thanks for that Bilgerat.

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 265
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 18:47:41 »
According to the Maritime Quest website, HMS Kent was sold in Hong Kong in June 1920 and scrapped, presumably there.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline alkhamhills

• Appreciation 23
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 10:32:59 »
HMS Kent a county class cruiser the 8th ship to bear the name of the county was launched on the 16th May 1926 at Chatham Dockyard by the Countess Stanhope wife of the Lord of the Admiralty. HMS Kent carried a crew of 770 cost nearly £2m had a speed of 31 knots and was 630ft in length.
This is a different HMS Kent. The HMS Kent of this post was launched in 1901 at Portsmouth. She was a Monmouth class ship. She was scrapped in June 1920, but I do not know at which scrapyard. Any suggestions ??

Offline alkhamhills

• Appreciation 23
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 12:22:59 »
See the fascinating story from diary of Captain Of HMS Kent of their part in the Battle of the Falklands 8.12.1914

http://www.gwpda.org/naval/j0600000.htm

Offline alkhamhills

• Appreciation 23
HMS Kent (In service 1901-20)
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 15:12:28 »
Census 1911. My grandfather, Alf Brigham, was on Board HMS Kent (a First Class Cruiser) at Midnight 2nd April, 1911 as a stoker at Lat 31 45 S Long 71 55 W. The ship (with HMS Challenger) was visiting Valparaiso as part of the city Centenary celebrations.
A certificate from "King Neptune" shows him crossing the equator on 21.03.1911 on HMS Kent. He served on HMS Kent for 13 months on the China Station 30.11.1910-22.12.1911   

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines