News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Capstone tunnel. Any info?  (Read 11808 times)

Offline Radioham 49

• Appreciation 0
Re: Capstone tunnel. Any info?
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2017, 21:37:09 »
This is part of the underground adit system that feeds the system at the Luton water supply works.
Once owned by Batchelors.

ian.sutton

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2011, 17:55:15 »
Very interesting.

Thanks for making the effort to contact southern water patmore.

Regards

Offline otis

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2011, 10:47:08 »
Extensive report here telling all about the water under Kent from the British Geological Survey. Lots of mention of rainwater and shows the rock formations. Nothing about German underground streams.

http://nora.nerc.ac.uk/5800/

Searched google for underground rivers. The longest one is generally shown as in Mexico and would be a fraction of the length of what the Anglo-German one would be.

Has anyone found any evidence of this at all ?
"there was more hit than miss about this arbitrary bombardment"

seafordpete

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2011, 11:50:14 »
Agreed, and even though I'm one of those who is supporting the story because I heard it many years ago in Germany, I must ask - why does the water always flow that way and not from the UK to Germany? But up to now my belief has been that it is water from some Kentish wells in general that came from Germany, not just that coming up in the Dockyard.
Because Europe has higher ground and more water (snow melt) than us which is why so many canals are in use and much wider. The barges going up the Rhine in the Black Forest would be at home in the North Sea & Channel- huge

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2011, 11:17:36 »
Agreed, and even though I'm one of those who is supporting the story because I heard it many years ago in Germany, I must ask - why does the water always flow that way and not from the UK to Germany? But up to now my belief has been that it is water from some Kentish wells in general that came from Germany, not just that coming up in the Dockyard.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline otis

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2011, 10:37:44 »
Oops. By sealed tube I meant to imply a non-leaky tube. Not sealed at either end.

What is effectively being claimed here is that during the war we were using water siphoned from Nazi Germany to float warships in HM Dockyard. Would love this one to be true.  :)

seafordpete

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2011, 09:26:38 »
....only a u-tube maintains the balance because it is a sealed tube. While the chalk downs are permeable.

No it will not level out if sealed, think of a builders water level- a hose with  a clear tube at each end and open

Offline otis

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2011, 08:38:35 »
Hi Patmore,

what a fantastic bit of work. Not only proving that there are tunnels, but also getting a picture of them.  :)

No doubt too wet and dangerous to consider a trip down there now. I can only imagine how dangerous it would have been to mine an adit under wet chalk for over a mile length.

Offline otis

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2011, 22:04:40 »
....only a u-tube maintains the balance because it is a sealed tube. While the chalk downs are permeable.

I would be curious to know where this stream crosses under the English Channel ? How deep is it flowing under there ?

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2011, 19:52:03 »
Surely it will eventually settle at the same level as the water in the Black Forest, on the same principle as the water in a U-tube. 

Offline otis

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 18:52:31 »
Not wishing to be difficult Otis, but why "up hill"?

If this watercourse runs under the English Channel and comes out into the Dockyard, at near sea level, then this section is flowing up hill ? Or part of this section.

patmore

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 14:38:42 »
With regard to the question of tunnels and water sources at Luton I recently contacted Southern Water for some possible answers. Their technical department kindly supplied some quite revealing information via e.mail. I quote from their reply;
            The Luton (water) source is a 'well and edit' source with vertical wells, up to 7ft diameter and a series of adits or man made horizontal tunnels at some depth below ground.
            It comprises of 9 or 10 wells in the chalk aquifer, many of which are no longer used and it would appear that the first wells were constructed in around 1856, with a further stage of construction in the late 1890s.
            The adits extend to some 5,330ft are 9ft x 7ft although it is not certain whether these dimensions are width by height or vice versa. The adits appear to be at two levels 133ft and 149 ft below ground.
             A deep borehole reported to be up to 690ft deep was drilled into the lower greensand strata in 1902 but as with many such greensand sources the yield gradually declined and the borehole source was abandoned in 1927.
             With regard to some of our Forum questions the above shows there to be a series of man made underground tunnels and not an underground river. However, the dimensions of the tunnels could possibly give the impression of an underground 'stream'.
              While no reference to the use of boats can be found, given the dimensions of the tunnels and old methods of construction, they can not say that boats were never used under any circumstances.

I have found a photo of  one such tunnel being dug, dated 1900.
                                                                                               James

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 11:30:11 »
Not wishing to be difficult Otis, but why "up hill"?

Offline otis

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 10:03:22 »
My understanding of the water aquifers in the chalk Downs comes from my school geography lessons. As far as I remember, the chalk acts like a huge sponge and soaks up the water around.

The water comes out in springs, or you can drill down and pump it out. The sponge is re-filled by rainwater, etc. Some of this rainwater may have fallen a few thousands of years ago.

I have trouble squaring this with the thought of a seperate stream flowing through from the continent. How does this flow uphill to Luton ? If it is just permeating through the chalk through thousands of years, how can it be traced back to a source abroad ?

I later dropped geograpghy for other subjects.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 23:05:18 »
I first heard of the source of the water being the Black Forest from an uncle who was Clerk of Works at a British Army barracks in Germany in the 1960s.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines