News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Capstone tunnel. Any info?  (Read 11812 times)

Offline otis

• Appreciation 11
Re: Capstone tunnel. Any info?
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 22:00:40 »
I love tales of hidden tunnels and do a bit of mine exploring.

Whatever cavern lies underground at Capstone, must be man-made, surely ? Any sizeable watery cavern in chalk will collapse due to water action eroding the sides of it, and leaving nothing to support a roof.

I am curious as to how the water would flow here from the Black Forest. Does this flow under, through or around the English Channel ?
"there was more hit than miss about this arbitrary bombardment"

patmore

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 00:53:40 »

This large metal plate,in a fenced off area in Hopewell Drive 100 meters up from the Wheatsheaf pub is, I was told many years ago, an entrance to the underground lake complete with boat which extends around the waterworks area. I have never seen any drawings, photos or documentation to substantiate this story but every so often,as with recent entries in the Forum, the subject comes up.
I have also been told that the Luton borehole is 600ft deep but never heard this verified. Does anyone have any true facts and figures on this subject?

James

patmore

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 23:21:30 »
The 'Old Bourne' was the stream which ran from Luton along the valley and into the town marsh roughly where Cage Lane is now. The dam ,which became Military Road did not exist and the tide would ebb and flow right back into the area now covered by the Pentagon, hence 'The Brook'. At some point back in history the Old Bourne disappeared below ground,it still flows and can be seen at low tide at the southern end of Riverside. Holborn Lane and Holborn Hard were named from the stream.

James

patmore

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 22:55:44 »
I once heard about the Dockyard water being traced to the Black Forest, it flowed continuously into the base of no.9 dock on St. Marys Island and probably still does. Of further interest is the well which was sunk in the Dockyard in1868,the upper part being 9ft in diameter it was bored to a depth of just over 900ft, being only 3ins diameter at the lower level. The water source found would rise to a height of 19ft above ground level at a rate of 80 gallons per minute. Many buildings in Chatham Dockyard had two water supplies, usually clearly marked, 'Luton water' and 'Dockyard water - unfit for drinking', although in truth it probably was.
                                                                               James

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 22:24:10 »
Re the comments about streams from Germany, I believe this to be true. As an apprentice in the yard I worked on Yard Plant and part of the time on the dry dock pumping system. One dry dock, I think it was number six but I could be wrong, had a small stream surfacing in the bottom which could not be stopped. A bit ironic that, a dry dock with a stream running into it. Anyway it was said this water also had been traced back to Germany, how I dont know. I do know this dock was never truly dry!!

Again re the Capstone comments, I assume this is how The Brook got its name, it really was a Brook at one time?

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 19:51:07 »
I think this water flows INTO the Medway, more or less along Luton Road and the Brook.
Numanfan, I also have heard about the source of our water being the Black Forest - something about a radio active 'marker' being put into the water in Germany, and surfacing here.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

p3ndldqny2

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 18:49:30 »
It's well known in Luton that the original church was pulled down and re-built into the existing church because of the underground river.

I believe this flows from the medway all the way through to atleast the southern water works.

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 125
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 11:23:20 »
I remember going on an 'educational' trip there from Fort Luton School in the mid 70's.

No cage but they did point out the 'manhole', which apparently led down to an underground river/stream/water supply, which according to them could be sourced back to the Black Forest in Germany!

I suppose some kind of boat, used for maintainence of underground brickwork etc. is feasible, but I've never seen anything to prove or dis-prove it.

More info here: http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=6270.0
www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

ian.sutton

Capstone tunnel. Any info?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 07:45:00 »
Hey guys.

When I was a small kid, I attended a fun day at the Southern water plant in Capstone.
The fun day was arranged through my junior school (Luton Juniors)

Aside from fire engines and bouncy castles etc I remember a tunnel.

Now, back then there wasn't so much health and safety.
We stood in a line and waited for a bloke to lower us in some kind of cage.
This cage went down through a big manhole cover and down into the darkness.

It was quite a way down.
I remember seeing alot of water and being told it was deep.

My mind is quite fuzzy after this part (I was about 5 after all)

I always remember my Grandad telling me stories as a kid. He told me that there was a boat under there and you could row right under the playing fields and maybe past them??

Does anyone have any information on this?

Picture attached shows rough position of tunnel entrance and where the tunnel went.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines