News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Grand Magazine, Fort Amherst  (Read 12309 times)

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 34
Re: Grand Magazine, Fort Amherst
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 15:23:14 »
The 'alcove' is a doorway access to the inside of the cavity that runs around inside the wall of the magazine. The square opening at the rear of the 'cavity' leads into a ventilation shaft.

medwayboy

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 10:47:39 »
Does anyone know what the alcove at the end of the magazine was for? what is the square opening shown?

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2013, 20:38:28 »
21 March, 1883 Birmingham Daily Post

A Rochester correspondent says that, acting under orders received to that effect, General Monck has directed additional guards to be placed at night over the powder magazines at Fort Amherst, Chatham.  Extra sentries have also been placed at the other magazines.  Although no additional troops are at present to be sent to Chatham, the Second Battalion East Lancashire Regiment at the garrison is to have its strength augmented.

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 21:25:04 »
It is great to see it open again.  After a period of apparent stagnation, the fort seems to have really come on well in the last couple of years. Keep up the good work all those involved! :)

I can hardly wait to see what projects are next!
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 21:19:28 »
It opened in October/November I think, can't remember the exact date.  It still needs some additional work but it is usable now :)

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 20:55:29 »
I hope you can get funding for that. It is a great building and in some ways is the heart of the Fort. It's a shame for it to be closed.

And at risk of getting told off for going off topic, I was walking through the fort last week and noticed that the Gurkha bridge in front of the magazine had been replaced! :)  When did that re-open?
=========

merc

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 13:42:52 »
I was briefly in the 'Cross Ditch' (The ditch between the Upper Barrier Ditch and Belvedere) yesterday and noticed a small opening in the wall, possibly connected to the culvert that goes to the pit at the front of the magazine.

It's a shame the magazine is out of use. I hope they give us the funding needed for restoration :)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 22:00:54 »
Unfortunately due to a leaky roof the floor in this building has become very rotten.  We are in the process of applying for funding to clear and restore the drainage and also to replace the floor, but it is a very expensive job!  Here are a few pics showing the damage.

merc

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 13:04:23 »
March 17, 1871

The stores of gunpowder at Fort Amherst in this garrison are to be considerably reduced, and large quantities are being taken round to Purfleet by War Department lighters. In all about 1,000 barrels are to be removed. Even when this quantity has been taken from the magazines in 'Chatham Citadel' there will still remain large stores of powder in the place.

From 'The Morning Post'.

Although there were several magazines in "The Citadel" (including the Amherst Guardhouse), i though as this was 'the main magazine', i'ld put this post here...

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 17:29:38 »
Nice shots Kyn. I've always liked that building. I remember when it used to be open with 100lb powder barrels in it. That really gave a sense of just how much powder it could have stored.
=========

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 14:02:34 »
Some interior shots of the Grand Magazine.  Currently this building is kept shut due to a portion of the floor being rotten and unsafe.  We hope that the building will be open again for next season  :)

merc

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 17:35:04 »
Thursday, January 19,1865

After completing their inspection at Upnor Castle the members of the commitee crossed the river and proceeded to visit the forts and magazines whithin the Citadel,directing their attention,in the first instance,to the the Grand Magazine,adjoining the Royal Engineer field works,which is constructed not only for the reception of large stores of powder,but also for many millions of cartridges for the supply of the forces within the district.
Although every necessary precaution is taken to prevent any accidents at this magazine it has always been a source of anxiety to the authorities that it is not sufficiently isolated,a public roadway passing close to the boundary rail of the building,and within a few yards of the magazine.
The other forts and magazines in which the principle storage of gunpowder are made at Chatham are the fort amherst and the Belvedere magazines,besides smaller stores,both of which were visited by the members of the commitee.

merc

Grand Magazine, Fort Amherst
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 17:13:40 »
Friday, April 19, 1867

Yesterday the War Department transport Marlborough commenced the shipment from the Upnor Castle Magazines of a quantity of powder and other ammunitions to be removed from the stores to Woolwich,in order to make room for the ammunition from the Grand Magazine,Chatham,the whole of which is to be removed in consequence of the proximity of the new blocks of buildings in course of erection for the married non-commisioned officers and men of the 3d depot battalion to the magazine.
Nearly 1,000 barrels of cartridge ammunition have been removed from the Grand Magazine into the stores at Fort Amherst by the workmen belonging to the Ordnance establishment,Chatham,and additional store accommodation is being provided at Upnor Castle for the powder and shell,the whole of which will be removed in the course of the ensuing week.
The Grand Magazine is ordered to be converted into store warehouses for war material.
The works at the new buildings for the married troops,which have been suspended pending the order from the war department as to the removal of the contents of the Grand Magazine,are to be proceeded with.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines