News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Cobham Hall - used as a WWI Australian Hospital  (Read 4739 times)

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 223
Re: Cobham Hall - used as a WWI Australian Hospital
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 22:58:22 »
Link to the transcript of the diary (Vol 4) of Matron Mary Ann 'Bessie' Pocock, Australian Army Nursing Service.
She was at Cobham Hall from 26 October 1917 to 1 January 1918.
http://www.awm.gov.au/collection/RCDIG0001392/

Photos from the collection of the Australian War Memorial.

From top

Australian convalescent soldiers and ladies on the lake in the grounds of Cobham Hall.

The picture gallery containing 33 beds.

Australian convalescent officers playing croquet before the west front of Cobham Hall.

Dining room of the hospital with tables set for Christmas dinner, 1917.

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 09:39:30 »

kevin payne

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 23:58:53 »
My father, his parents and his sister all worked at Cobham Hall, as they lived in the village. As a small child I used to wander the Hall and its grounds as if I lived there! Such marvellous memories. When I get the chance to return there, I and my family are always made to feel welcome there, even though its now in different hands.

merc

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 19:57:20 »
January 1, 1919

Lady Darnley's Hospital

The Prime Minister of Australia and Mrs. Hughes spent Christmas with Lord and Lady Darnley at Cobham Hall, near Gravesend, which has been a convalescent hospital since the early days of the war. Over 1,300 officers and 100 men have been nursed back to health during this time. The hospital, of which Lady Darnley was the commandant, yesterday ceased its beneficent work, and is now closed.

From The Times

merc

Cobham Hall - used as a WWI Australian Hospital
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 13:19:54 »
September 2, 1944

Field-Marshall Lord Birdwood writes:-
I know full well that i am voicing the feelings of a vast number of my old Australian comrades in attempting to pay tribute to the memory of Florance Lady Darnley. During the 1914-18 war large numbers of Australian sick and wounded came over here, and the Darnley's converted their lovely old Kentish home, Cobham Hall, into an Australian hospital. which i was privaleged to visit on many occassions. I know personally how fully and deeply these men appreciated all that was done for them, and especially because they realised they owed everything
 to the unsparing devotion of their host and hostess. Lady Darnley never ceased in her energies to see that her patients wanted for nothing, and many a home in Australia today will be deeply regretting the passing away of one whom they know never forgot them, while many friends she leaves behind, who knew and loved her, will never cease to mourn her loss.

From The Times

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines