News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: William Samuel Scotts Timber Yard  (Read 5631 times)

HAROLD

Re: William Samuel Scotts Timber Yard
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 02:47:19 »
Hi Mikeb! Thanks for reply, you are right in saying that Scottswood Avenue was named after Scotts Timber Yard. Scottswood Avenue,  St. Leonards Avenue, Cottall Avenue & Dale St. were built on the yard.

The yard was there from about 1897 to 1922 then the house were built. This is the area I am interested in between 1897 to 1922.

Thanks for the photo Ted & taking the time to email it.

Kind Regards
Harold

Offline Ted Ingham

• Appreciation 35
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 23:25:01 »
Attached is a photograph I took in the 60's of Scotts Wharf.
Regards,
Ted

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 26
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 19:33:41 »
I have seen/read somewhere (but can't find it right now!) that Scotteswood Avenue took its name from Scotts Timber-yard, top of Dale Street/Farm and that Chatham Cemetery (the old one) was built on part of Scotts' owned Woodland. Might be a lead perhaps?

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 102
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 11:36:18 »
Hi , Just the usual. Try the library for newspapers of the era for adverts or articles etc. Also City Ark may have some records. Obviously you are Googling and trawling the web. The main help will probably come from our members if they know anything. Good Luck :)

HAROLD

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 01:27:50 »
Hi grandarog, thanks for taking the trouble to email me. Now I am more interested about their places at Scotteswood Avenue, Chatham/Palmerstone Rd./Dale St. areas or something that may tell me what they did there. Any ideas how I can find out?
Kind regards, Harold

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 102
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 17:54:47 »
Hi Harold welcome to the Forum. :) Have you tried Googling? There are pictures of derelict buildings and loads of info. Don`t know if it goes far enough back in time for your request but worth a try.
There is also another thread on here which is relevant.
http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=13615.0

HAROLD

William Samuel Scotts Timber Yard
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 17:09:47 »
Does anybody know anything about William Samuel Scott Timber Yard / Sawmill 1897- 1940. They had a sawmill near the Central Theatre, Chatham. They also had docks where they shipped the timber near Sun Pier and a timber yard at Scotteswood Avenue in the Palmerstone Road area in 1897-1922. It was on part of Dale Farm.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines