News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: World Stores.  (Read 6912 times)

KeithJG

Re: World Stores.
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2016, 19:03:46 »
The World Stores in Gillingham High Street was still there according to my 1965 Kelly`s.

It was 123, and is just by that first car on the right of the road and was the 6th building along from Gardiner Street.

The road immediate left is James Street.

KeithJG

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2016, 18:45:24 »
Here is Maypoles in 1962...

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2016, 21:19:09 »
Looking at the two photos of the Sheerness store (Sheppey Bottles in reply 8 and mine) The stores have changed location from opposite Rose Street to the corner of the Crescent & the Broadway.
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2016, 23:00:53 »
Smiffy, Conan thanks for the pictures brings back memories of times long gone.
It just goes to show how our recollections are some times hazy, grew up in that area, Union Street, by chance  have any of you wonderful people , any photos of the street. Over the years many articles about that part of Rochester have been published, shots of Victoria St , the old brewery in East Row, the Spinning Wheel cafe,Troy town school and so many more bits and pieces that had a place in my life. No other reason for asking than  nostalgia. l suffer from Menieres disease, the side effects can and do cause memory problems, not looking for sympathy, had a fair life, divorced twice, among other things. Seen a slice of the world, I am seventy five years old now, but would love to see the old Rochester I knew. Any one recommend any good books,? Love you all
Signals99

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2016, 20:31:59 »
The Worlds Stores in Sheerness.

And a previous occupier of the premises.

To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2016, 15:27:59 »
Hi Signals,

I think this is the place you are thinking of - it's not World Stores I'm afraid. Maypoles were nearby but on the opposite side.

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2016, 23:51:12 »
Hello! Got a feeling there was a Worlds Stores at Star Hill Rochester, just on the left as you entered the High  Street. Had an alley up the side where the policeman kept his "box" on wheels that he stood in whilst directing traffic during rush hour. Most remembered thing was that it had two very steep steps to the entrance set off by a magnificent curved brass hand rail, always kept highly polished, even as I type this I have a sneaky feeling it may have been a  Maypole store. Can anyone help?

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2010, 19:53:56 »
Thanks Sheppey Bottles, that is where Burton's was or should I say it was where Suzy Wong's place was.

Offline busyglen

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 69
    • Westminster Village
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2010, 18:53:15 »
Wow! That's a great picture sheppey_bottles.  Not seen that one before.

It's interesting to see that where Rose St. is now, there didn't used to be a road.  I wonder if what is Britannia House now, was previously a Hotel?  I also wonder what the shop was on the extreme left of the picture.
A smile is a curve that straightens things out.

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2010, 11:37:44 »
If you look at shop front on right hand side of this postcard the facia is for World Stores at Sheerness.

Offline prefabkid

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2010, 10:54:00 »
Kelly's 1961

123, High Street Gillingham.

Offline seb

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 08:36:35 »
colin haggart, no good at directions.   So here goes, it was on the opposite side of the street to Woolworths.  If you came down Gardiner Street from Green Street and the GPO you turned left and it was a few doors along. This was between 1962 and 1970.

Offline Alastair

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 16:44:53 »
International was a nationwide chain of grocers along with Vye's (in East Kent as far as my wife can remember), Lipton's and Worlds Stores. All went with the advent of Supermarkets. I can remember sugar in blue bags and the coffee-grinders and bacon-slicers. The grocer usually wore a white apron, didn't he?
Alastair

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 15:08:42 »
Whereabouts Seb?

Offline seb

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 13:45:10 »
There was a Worlds Store in Gillingham High Street.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines