News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Tomlin Place  (Read 567 times)

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 67
Re: Tomlin Place
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2018, 13:53:11 »
This link to a related post about Sly Kates Hill could be helpful.
http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=5983.0;topicseen

I put another comment in that thread as this one was starting to wander a bit.

I don't believe there was any military connection by the time photography came into general use. There are probably thousands of interesting photographs in existence of lesser known areas that have just never been published or posted anywhere.

Offline CAT

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2018, 11:03:48 »
I guess that if the buildings towards the top of the hill were military then photographs would be limited. What about the collection of early photographs taken by the Engineers?

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 102
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2018, 10:33:58 »
This link to a related post about Sly Kates Hill could be helpful.
http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=5983.0;topicseen

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 67
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2018, 20:22:16 »
The houses in the Three Brother's picture are indeed the ones being discussed. Some photographs exist showing the bottom part of Slicketts hill, but there seem to be very few of the upper parts.

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 102
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2018, 10:58:57 »
Found a few more bits about Sly Kates (Sickets ) Hill.

Apparently was orriginally built on during  18th century for navel officers to live . Also known as Cage Lane area.

Soon degenerated into a slum area .

"During the 18th century  Chatham expanded at an unsustainable rate and overcrowding bred disease and debauchery, with red light districts such as Full-A-Love Lane and Sly Kate's (Slicketts) Hill, frequented by drunken soldiers and sailors."
Source:- Kent Life.

Looks and was redeveloped a bit in the 19th century . then as we all know again mid 20th century when the whole area was redeveloped for the Brook and Pentagon etc.

Offline CAT

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2018, 08:44:55 »
Not knowing the area at all, but the accompanying image from the fantastic Dover Kent Archives website, which also includes pubs across Kent, shows the Three Brothers pub at the corner of Cross Street and Slicketts Hill, Chatham. Are the three cottages up the hill to the right the cottages in question?

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 67
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 21:44:15 »
This map showing the top of Slicketts Hill in the 1860's shows that the houses in question were built on a site occupied by some earlier structures.

At the top you can see an odd collection of properties that almost seems to be some kind of self-contained community. Parts of this remained until the 1930's, but now no trace is visible.

I'm sorry but I can't identify where or what the Philips building was, although the structure marked in pink was still there up until the 1960's.

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 102
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 19:57:12 »
No, I searched as many resources as I could think of to no avail, maybe Smiffy will have more luck finding Phillps Building circa 1891.

Offline Dozydog

• Appreciation 0
    • Theatre Royal, Chatham
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 17:13:35 »
176 is the schedule number not the house number.

Tomlin Place only appears to be one property household (West family)  .
On the 1891Census it is shown next to Phillips Building on one side and Slickets Hill on the other.
Looking at previous censii it could be listed as No 1 Slickets Hill .or Front Row Slickets Hill.
There is a Will for Henry Tomlin,occupation Tailor, date 1832. Could well have been his property and the name stuck after he died.

Hi grandarog, many thanks for the correction on the house number. The West family were my father`s parents (on his mother`s side).
Are you able to tell me where and what the Phillips building was ?

Offline Dozydog

• Appreciation 0
    • Theatre Royal, Chatham
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 17:09:47 »
This is a map of the area before it was redeveloped.

I'm posting this as it shows the house numbers, the OS map from the turn of the century being pretty much the same. As you can see, there are only five properties that have a Slicketts Hill number, and numbers 4 & 5 were not present during the time period we're talking about . As grandarog suggests, it could be No.1 and this block of three houses may have been collectively known as Tomlin Place.

Many thanks for your time and your knowledge. The map is extremely helpful in enabling me to see where my great grandfather lived.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 67
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 14:12:16 »
This is a map of the area before it was redeveloped.

I'm posting this as it shows the house numbers, the OS map from the turn of the century being pretty much the same. As you can see, there are only five properties that have a Slicketts Hill number, and numbers 4 & 5 were not present during the time period we're talking about . As grandarog suggests, it could be No.1 and this block of three houses may have been collectively known as Tomlin Place.

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 102
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 11:51:53 »
176 is the schedule number not the house number.

Tomlin Place only appears to be one property household (West family)  .
On the 1891Census it is shown next to Phillips Building on one side and Slickets Hill on the other.
Looking at previous censii it could be listed as No 1 Slickets Hill .or Front Row Slickets Hill.
There is a Will for Henry Tomlin, occupation Tailor, date 1832. Could well have been his property and the name stuck after he died.

Offline Dozydog

• Appreciation 0
    • Theatre Royal, Chatham
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 20:58:39 »
I have a reference to Tomlin Place from 1891 but can't find it marked on any map. Unfortunately all it says is "Tomlin Place, Sly Kates's Hill". Do you have a date for your Grandfather's time there?

Hi Smiffy, many thanks for your swift reply. My greatgrandfather was living at 176 Tomlin Place in 1891.
The fact that the door number is high indicates to me, that there must of been a lot of houses in Tomlin Place.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 67
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 19:25:28 »
I have a reference to Tomlin Place from 1891 but can't find it marked on any map. Unfortunately all it says is "Tomlin Place, Sly Kates's Hill". Do you have a date for your Grandfather's time there?

Offline Dozydog

• Appreciation 0
    • Theatre Royal, Chatham
Tomlin Place
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 17:15:39 »
Hi, has anyone heard of Tomlin Place ?
My great grandfather lived there, apparently it was off of Slykayes (Slicketts) Hill somewhere.

I would be very interested if someone has an old map of that area.

Thanking you in anticipation  :)

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines