News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Boy in a Well, Ackholt!  (Read 4230 times)

trainman

Re: Boy in a Well, Ackholt!
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 21:15:14 »
What a terrible thing to happen to a young lad. Kent appears to be riddled with old wells, caves and underground rivers. I was a loco  fireman at Dover, there was a river that used run above Abbotscliff Tunnel; most of the water I think used go out to sea somewhere but in the winter water used to pour down through the tunnel roof brick work, the train guard had to walk through the train to shut all the windows; later the tunnel was steel lined so the water now runs down the walls and is now not noticed. I think the source was traced to a lake somewhere in mid-Kent, and as a point of interest fresh water comes up out of the sand at the bottom of Shakespeare Beach near the cliff, and I know it`s fresh water because I have tasted it.
 regards trainman

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 13:10:59 »
Thank you for adding the information, it is much appreciated  :)

oldnonnington

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 12:51:46 »
My mother can remember the incident from when she was at school, but she doesn't think the boy was a member of the  Alderman family, who lived in the now demolished row of cottages between the still standing Keeper's Cottage and the railway line. The boy's name eludes her at the moment.  My mother believes the boy was a visitor from a family that then lived at Listway's Cottages near Aylesham, and was playing with a dog in the garden and when he chased the dog it safely ran over the covered well but when the boy crossed it the cover gave way and he drowned in the well. The well was between the cottages and Keeper's Cottage, then occupied by the Hope family. The incident occurred at the end of the 1930's, just before the War.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 10:11:06 »
Shame there isn't easier access to newspapers and things for research online!

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 23:12:53 »
I haven't heard of the incident you refer to Kyn.Very sadly there was such a tragedy in the not so distant past at Oxney Bottom between Dover and Deal.We've discussed the matter on KHF.Having seen a shaft appear at Dover Castle after it's wooden cover had rotted and fallen down the shaft together with the earth covering it i can understand how such accidents occur.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
Boy in a Well, Ackholt!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 15:57:10 »
I have recently read that a young boy fell in a well in Ackholt and died.  He was from the Alderman family that were living at Keepers Cottage on Aylsham Road.  The well could have been from this property or on Ackholt Farm on the opposite side of the road.

If anyone comes across any further information about this incident or comes across any newspaper reports I would be very grateful if you can post them!

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines