News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Isle of Sheppey Liberty 1847  (Read 18259 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Paul

  • Established Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1481
  • Appreciation 61
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
Re: The Isle of Sheppey Liberty 1847
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2010, 21:10:47 »
Eastchurch 1798.

EASTCHURCH
LIES the next parish eastward from Minster, from which situation it takes its name.
A small part of this parish was antiently accounted to lie within the hundred of Tenham, though the whole of it is now esteemed to lie within the hundred of Milton.
THE PARISH is situated on high ground, in the middle of the eastern part of the island, the village is nearly in the centre of it, with the church at a small distance; about half a mile eastward is the mansion of Shurland, which appears by the remains of it to have been very grand and spacious. The front of it, which is lofty, is built of hewn stone, an
d has a small octagon tower on each side of the principal entrance. It had embattlements till within these few years, when the high winds demolished several of them, and the rest were taken down. There was a quadrangle at the back of it, the north-west side of which, with the front above-mentioned, is all that is left standing of it. The garden walls of stone, and some few of the out-buildings, are still in being. The front is moder nized and sashed, and though it is made use of now only as a farm-house, yet it is not inferior to many gentlemens seats in different parts of this county.
About the same distance in the valley southward is the parsonage; the upland pastures here are but poor, and almost covered with large ant hills, which look very slovenly; in the northern part of the parish the corn lands are very fertile, part of the parish exthe corn lands are very fertile, part of the parish extends southward into the island of Elmley.
A fair is held in this village on May 31, for pedlary, toys, &a
mp;c.
The scarcity of fresh water here and in this neighbourhood, makes the inhabitants very careful to preserve such as falls from the clouds, for which purpose there are numbers of spouts leading from the leads of the church into large tubs. set round it in the churchyard underneath, for conducting the water into them; these have lids to them, and are secured with locks for the use of those who are at the expence of putting them up; but they make a most grotesque and unsightly appearance.
PHILIP HERBERT, younger brother of William, earl of Pembroke, was by letters patent, in the third year of king James I. created Baron Herbert, of Shurland, in this parish; and likewise earl of Montgomery.
The paramount manor of Milton claims over this parish, subordinate to which is the MANOR OF SHURLAND, which had antiently owners of this surname; the first of whom, that is mentioned as being of note, is Sir Jeffry de Shurland, who resided here in the reign of king Henry III. in the 9th year of which he wa
s constable of Dover castle. His son was Sir Robert de Shurland, who was a man of eminent authority in the reign of king Edward I. under whom he was lord warden, and in the 28th year of it attended that prince at the siege of Carlaverock, in Scotland, where, with many other Kentish gentlemen, he received knighthood. In the 10th year of that reign he obtained a grant of liberties, among which was wreck of the sea, for his manor here, as he did of freewarren in it in the 29th year of it; soon after which he died, and was buried under a tomb within an arch in the south wall of Minister church, with his effigies in marble lying at length on it, and a horse's head carved on the tomb on his right hand. The figure of the horse's head (which seems either part of the marble on which it lies, or at least to have been firmly fixed to it when the tomb was put up) has given rise to a tale, which has been reported among the common people for many years, that Sir Robert having upon some disgust at a priest, buried
 him alive, swam on his horse two miles through the sea to the king, who was then on ship-board near this island, and having obtained his pardon, swam back again to the shore, where being told, his horse had performed this by magic art, he cut off his head. About a twelvemonth after which, riding a hunting near the same place, the horse he was then upon stumbled, and threw him upon the scull of his former horse, by which he was so much bruised, that it caused his death: in memory of which, the figure of a horse's head was placed by him on his tomb. The foundation of which story is with more probability supposed to have arisen from Sir Robert Shurland's having obtained the grant of wreck of the sea, as above-mentioned; which privilege is always esteemed to reach as far into the water, as upon the lowest ebb, a, man can ride in and touch any thing with the point of his lance; and on this account the figure of the horse's head was placed by him. (fn. 2) He bore for his arms, Azure, five lions ram
pant, argent, a canton, ermine; which arms are on the roof of the cloysters of Canterbury cathedral.
He left an only daughter Margaret his heir, who marrying with William, son of Sir Alexander Cheney, entitled him to this manor, of which he died possessed in the 8th year of king Edward III. anno 1323. His grandson Richard Cheney, of Shurland, married Elizabeth, daughter and coheir of Robert Cralle, of Cralle, in Suffex, by whom he had two sons, Sir William, of Shurland, and Simon, who was of Cralle, and ancestor of the Cheneys, of Higham, in this neighbourhood, and of Warblinton, in Suffex.
Sir William Cheney, the eldest son, possessed this manor, in whose descendants, who were at times knights of the shire and sheriffs of this county, it descended down to Sir Thomas Cheney, who was a man of great account in his time; in the 7th year of king Henry VIII. he was sheriff of this county, and served several times in parliament for it. He was elected a knight of the garter in the reign of king Henry VIII.
 in the 31st of whose reign, as well as in the 2d and 3d years of the succeeding one of king Edward VI. his lands in this county were disgavelled by the acts of those years. By king Henry VIII. he was appointed constable of Queenborough-castle, governor of Rochester, warden of the five ports, and treasurer of the houshold, in which office he continued in the next reign of Edward VI. of whose privy council he was one, and at his death espousing the cause of queen Mary, he was made again lord warden. Queen Elizabeth continued him treasurer of her houshold, and made him of her privy council. He new-built the mansion of Shurland with the materials of Chilham castle, where he before resided, and which he is said to have pulled down and brought hither, and he continued to reside here with great hospitality and sumptuous housekeeping, till the time of his death, which happened in the tower in the 1st year of that reign, and was buried, with great pomp and magnificence, in a small chapel adjoining to the parish churc
h of Minster. Henry Cheney, esq. his only son by his second wife, succeeded him at Shurland, among his other estates in this county, and in the 3d year of queen Elizabeth had possession granted of it among the rest of his inheritance; in the 5th year of it he kept his shrievalty at this seat, in which year he was knighted; in the 14th year of that reign, he was created lord Cheney, of Tuddington, in Bedfordshire. By his expensive method of living, he acquired the name of the extravagant lord Cheney, and before his death had dissipated the great possessions which his father had left him, and died S.P. in the 30th year of that reign, anno 1587. Sir Thomas Cheney Seems to have had some fore-knowledge of his son's future extravagance; for by his will he devised his lands and manors to his son Henry, in tail general; remainder to Thomas Cheney, esq. of Woodley, in tail male, upon condition, that he or they, or any of them, should not alien or discontinue; and it was a question, anno 33 and 34 Elizabeth, in th
e court of wards, between Sir Thomas Perot, heir-general to Sir Thomas Cheney, and several of the purchasers of the lord Cheney his son?if Sir Thomas Perot should be received to prove by witnesses, that it was the intent and meaning of the devisor to include his son and heir within those words of the condition?he or they?or only to restrain Thomas Cheney, of Woodley, and his heirs male. But Wray and Anderson, chief justices, upon conference with the other justices, resolved, that he should not be received to such averment out of the will, for that it ought to be concerning lands, in writing, and that construction of wills ought to be collected out of the words of the will in writing and not by any averment out of it. By which resolution, the purchasers under the lord Cheney's title were established in their several possessions, which had been se cured to them by fines levied by the lord Cheney, both in the 3d and 17th years of queen Elizabeth, of all his lands.
The Cheneys bore for their arms, Argen
t, on a bend, sable, three martlets, or; which coat, on their marrying the heiress of Shurland, they bore in the second place, and that of Shurland, in honor of the alliance, in the first: but the lord Cheney bore his own coat in the first place, and that of Shurland second.
The lord Cheney long before his death, having removed to Tuddington, where he had built a most magnificent seat, exchanged the manor and seat of Shurland, with other estates in the neighbourhood of it, with the queen, who in 1593 granted a lease of Shurland, with other lands in Shepey, to Sir Edward Hoby, then of Queenborough Castle, and lady Margaret his wife, and Thomas-Posthumus, for their three lives. Before which there had antiently been a park belonging to this seat, which was disparked when Lambarde wrote his Perambulation in 1570. The pales of part of it are still remaining. But the fee of this seat and estate remained in the hands of the crown till king James I. in his second year, granted it to Philip Herbert, younger broth
er of William, earl of Pembroke, who the next year was created Lord Herbert of Shurland, and Earl of Montgomery. On his brother's death without surviving issue, he Succeeded him as earl of Pembroke. Since which this estate has continued in his descendants, in like manner as the manor of Milton and other estates in this neighbourhood, already described, down to the right hon. Philip, viscount Wenman, and Mrs. Anne Herbert, who are at this time the joint possessors of it.
THE TITHES within this parish of the antient lordship of Shurlond, belonged to the abbot and convent of St. Augustine, and their right to them was solemnly adjudged by sentence given, by Robert de Malmayns, commissary-general to archbishop Walter Hubert, in the reign of king Edward II. and the whole of this manor claims an exemption from all kind of tithes at this time.
NORTHWOOD is an eminent manor in this parish, which was in very early times the inheritance of Jordan de Shepey, whose son Stephen having fixed his residence at
the manor of Northwood, in the neighbouring parish of Milton, assumed the name of Northwood from it, which circumstance fixed that name on this manor likewise, as part of his possessions; these two manors being afterwards distinguished in antient records, by the names of the manor of Northwood, within Shepey, and the manor of Northwood, without Shepey.
Jordan de Shepey died possessed of this manor, and was buried in Minster church, where his tomb still remains, without any inscription or character, though it had once the coat armour, which this family afterwards bore on it.
Stephen de Northwood, his son above-mentioned, succeeded him in it, and resided at his manor of Northwood, in Milton, as most of his descendants did afterwards. His son Roger de Northwood lies buried afterwards. His son Roger de Northwood lies buried in the south chancel of Minster church, with the figures of himself and of the lady Bona his wife, in brass, with their arms, on their grave-stone.
His grandson, Sir John de Nor
thwood, of Northwood and of Shorne, was several times sheriff of this county, and was summoned to parliament among the peers of this realm. He died anno 14 Edward II. holding this manor of the king in capite, as of his manor of Middleton. His descendant, Sir John Northwood, appears to have been the last of this fa mily who received summons to parliament, who died anno 2 Richard II. being then possessed of this manor held of the king in manner as before-mentioned.
At length one of his descendants, John Northwood, esq. of whom, and of this family, a more ample account may be seen, under the description of Northwood manor, in Milton, about the latter end of king Edward IV.'s reign, alienated this manor to William Warner, esq. whose grandson of the same name succeeding to it, in the beginning of king Henry the VIIIth.'s reign, soon afterwards sold it to Sir Thomas Cheney, afterwards knight of the garter, &c. whose only son Henry, lord Cheney, of Tuddington, in the 3d year of queen Elizabeth, ha
ving levied a fine of all his estates, quickly afterwards exchanged this manor with Shurland, and other premises, with the queen, and it remained in the hands of the crown till king James I. in his 2d year, granted it to Philip Herbert, younger brother of William, earl of Pembroke, created lord Herbert of Shurland, and earl of Montgomery.
On his brother's death, without surviving issue, he succeeded him as earl of Pembroke, since which, this manor has continued down in his descendants, in like manner as Shurland and Milton manors before described, and his other estates in this neighbourhood, to the right hon. Philip, viscount Wenman, and Mrs. Anne Herbert, of Oxford, who now possess this manor in undivided moieties.
KINGSBOROUGH is a manor in this parish, which, as the name denotes, was always part of the possessions of the crown, and being situated in the very midst of the island, and as such most commodious for assembling the inhabitants of it, has ever been, and still continues to be, freque
nted for the holding of their general courtandlaw day,in the king's name yearly, before the steward, and homage there sworn, for the choice of the constable, who has jurisdiction over the island, and for the election of the bailiff, or serrywarden, as he is usually called, and two serrymen, and for the assessing of rates, and other matters relating to the serry between this island and the main land, and the maintenance of that and the roads leading to it; all which was established and enforced by an act passed in the 18th year of queen Elizabeth, as has been already more fully mentioned under the description of the serry itself.
BUT THE DEMESNE LANDS of this manor, called Kingsborough farm, lying in this parish and Minster, were granted by queen Elizabeth to Henry Cary, esq. afterwards created Lord Hunsdon, who in the beginning of the reign of king James I. passed it away by sale to Swaleman, in whose descendants it remained at the death of king Charles I. in 1648; soon after which it was sold by Mr
. Thomas Swalman to Mr. Henry Allard, of Rochester, in whose name it continued till Sarah Allard passed it away to Benjamin Martin, as he did to Mr. Dansey Sawkins, in whose two daughters the present property of it is now vested.
Sir Brook Bridges is possessed of a good estate in this parish, as is Samuel-Elias Sawbridge, esq. of one called Swanley, in the northern part of it, being part of that purchased by his father of James West, esq.
STEPHEN OSBORNE, yeoman, devised by will in 1583, a legacy of 53l. the yearly produce to be distributed to the poor of Eastchurch and Leysdown, in equal shares, and to the poor of Warden, 8s. annually, with this sum was purchased an house and en acres of land in this parish, the yearly produce of which is now 8l per annum.
ABOUT FOUR ACRES of meadow land, near the street, has been left to the poor of this parish, the rent of which is now 9l. 0s. 6d. per annum.
TWO ACRES adjoining to Barnland and Rayham, were left to it, formerly part of Sir John Hayward&#
039;s estate, the rent of which is now 9l. 0s. 6d. per annum, and is distributed to widows on Old Chrillmas day yearly.
RICHARD FOSTER, D. D. vicar in 1721, gave for the instruction of poor children, to learn to read and write the catechism, an house, and one acre and one rood of land in Leysdown, the yearly produce of which is 2l. 2s. per annum. The master to be nominated by the minister and churchwardens.
MADARN DADE gave an annuity of 20s. to four widows receiving no alms, which money is paid out of Sir John Lade's estate, formerly the Green Man, and is distributed yearly on Old Christmas day in money.
The poor yearly relieved are about thirty, casually fifteen.
EASTCHURCH is within the ECCLESIASTICAL JURISDICTION of the diocese of Canterbury, and deanryof Sittingborne.
The church, which is dedicated to All Saints, is a large handsome building, of three isles and three chancels, with a flat roof, leaded and surrounded with battlements. The inside of the roof is wainscotted and
 painted, and it is handsomely pewed with east country oak. The steeple, which is at the west end, is a square tower, in which are five bells.
The present church seems to have been erected subsequent to the 9th year of king Henry VI. for there is a patent of that year for a piece of land in this parish, to the abbot and convent of Boxley, for the building of a new church here.
This church was in very early times appropriated to the abbot and convent of Dunes, in Flanders, and confirmed to it by pope C?lestine, in 1196; but at a general congregation of the monks of the Cistertian order, at which the abbot of Clarevall presided, it was agreed, in consideration of the great expence which the abbot and convent of Boxley were at, in entertaining the brethren of their order, as they went to, and returned from their general congregation beyond sea; and that the abbot and convent of Dunes, who from their great distance from Eastchurch made little or no profit of it, to transfer this church to the abbot and
convent of Boxley; for which purpose they obtained licence from king Henry III. in his 7th year, that they might give twenty-three acres of land in Shepey, and thirty-six acres of land in Eastchurch, and the advowson of the church there, which they appropriated to the abbot and convent, and the same was confirmed by archbishop Walter Reynolds, and the prior and convent of Christ church, in 1313.
After which the abbot and convent of Boxley obtained of king Edward II. in his 7th year, a licence of mortmain to appropriate this church to their monastery, and to take the advowson of it; in consequence of which, a perpetual vicar was endowed, and in the year 1472, anno 13 Edward IV. pope Sixtus IV. at the petition of the abbot, confirmed the vicarage likewife of this church to that abbey, giving licence for them to serve the cure of it by one of their own monks, amoveable at pleasure. In which situation it remained on the dissolution of the abbey in the 29th year of king Henry VIII. when this church, with the
vicarage of it, together with the rest of the possessions of the monastery, was surrendered up into the king's hands.
The rectory of Eastchurch, as well as the vicarage, remained in the hands of the crown till the king in his 35th year, granted them to Sir T. Cheney, of Shurland, knight of the garter, &c. whose son Henry, lord Cheney, of Tuddington, levied fines of all his lands in the 3d and 17th years of that reign, and in the 21st year of it alienated these premises, held in capite by knight's service, by the description of the church or rectory of Eastchurch, and the scite of the parsonage, with all houses and buildings on it, and one field of pasture, containing eighteen acres adjoining, and several other fields therein named; and by another indenture he alienated likewise all the tithes arising within this parish, excepting those of certain lands therein mentioned, and the vicarage of the church, to Robert Livesey, esq. whose son Gabriel Livesey, or Levesey, as he usually spelt his na
me, was of Hollingborne-hill, esq. and sheriff of Kent in the 18th year of king James I. He died in 1622, and lies buried with his wife Anne, daughter of Sir Michael Sondes, of Throwley, in this church, under a handsome monument, on which are both their effigies lying at full length. His son Sir Michael Livesey, or Levesey, was created a baronet in 1627. (fn. 7) He made this parsonage-house his residence, appoiuting from time to time a curate for the service of the church. He was a great republican in the reign of king Charles I. and was one of the king's judges at his trial, and one of those who signed the warrant for his execution, and afterwards served the office of sheriff in 1656 and 1657, and though he died before the restoration of king Charles II. yet immediately afterwards an act passed for the attainder of him, among others, and the forfeiture of all his lands, goods, and chattels.
This rectory and vicarage thus becoming forfeited to the crown, king Charles II. granted all Sir Michael Live
sey's estates to his brother James, duke of York, with an exception of the advowson of the vicarage, the patronage or right of presentation to which he, in his 13th year, granted to Sir Henry Palmer, bart. of Wingham, and eleven other gentlemen of this county, and to the longest liver of them, and to the heir of the survivor of the grantees, in trust, that they should permit the vicar for the time being to enjoy all manner of tithes and profits belonging to it, and arising within this parish; and that they should from time to time present a fit person to the archbishop, to be instituted vicar of this church,
By this grant were conveyed omnes domi terr?que glebarum, but means were devised to convey them to another possessor, so that the vicar and his successors have never enjoyed them.
Sir Henry Palmer, bart. became the survivor of the other grantees, and consequently became possessed of the advowson of this vicarage, for the purpose beforementioned, of which he died possessed in 1706. s. p. and
 by his will devised his interest in it to his nephew Sir Thomas Palmer, bart. who succeeded him both in title and estate. He died in 1723, having by his will given it to his natural son Herbert Palmer, esq. who died likewise s. p. leaving his widow, Mrs. Bethia Palmer, surviving, who on his death became possessed of this advowson, which she entitled her second husband, lieutenant-colonel John Cosnan, to; he died in 1778, and she again, in her own right became entitled to it; after which she alienated it to Mr. Barton, of Lancashire, who is the present proprietor of it.
In the 8th year of king Richard II. anno 1384, this church vas valued at 33l. 6s. 8d. It is valued in the king's books at 13l. 6s. 8d. and the yearly tenths at 1l. 6s. 8d.
In 1640 the stipend to the curate was twenty pounds. Communicants 156.
The antient valuation and tenths, rated in the king's books above-mentioned, the former as first fruits by the vicar on his institution, and the latter from time to time yearly, w
ere directed by king Charles II. to be paid into the exchequer, by which means they do not belong to the archbishop, but are parcel of the fund called queen Anne's bounty, and are yearly paid to it accordingly.
The vicarage house, which is little more than a cottage, adjoins to the west end of the church-yard. There is no glebe land whatever belonging to it; such lands as the vicar is entitled to take tithes of, pay those of every kind to him; but there are several large farms and estates in this parish, such as Shurland, Little Bell farm, and some others, which claim an exemption from all tithes whatever.
In the 33d year of king Edward III. the abbot of Boxley obtained a charter of free-warren for his lands in this parish, among other places.
There seems to be no rectory or parsonage now; all that belongs to the parsonage house is the beforementioned adjoining pasture of eighteen acres, and some few other lands, but there are no kind of tithes whatever belonging to it. It was the property
 of viceadmiral Francis Hosier, who died in 1727, and his heirs conveyed it to Mr. Edward Chapman, the heirs of whose son Mr. James Chapman, at present own it.
Maybe it's big horse I'm a Londoner. :{

Offline sheppey_bottles

  • Established Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 936
  • Appreciation 46
Re: The Isle of Sheppey Liberty 1847
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2010, 11:50:09 »
I have read that article before but..Stonebridge or bridgestone house was built in 1838? for Banks's bailiff. The Smack Aground is shown as having Landlords of Hodges in 1840 and randall in 1847 surely it did not change to a Inn so quickly. I have also read that the Smack was beyond the church and Coastguards. One story is that Sir John Sawbridge a local magistrate at Warden manor ran smuggled goods and had tunnels linking the manor, Church and the Smack. That was in the late 1700's before the old post office 'Bridgestone house' was built! Does anyone have any concrete info on any of this please.

busyglen

  • Guest
Re: The Isle of Sheppey Liberty 1847
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2010, 11:30:28 »
Hi sheppey_bottles,  have been doing a bit of searching and came across this link, which mentions that the Post Office was formerly the Smack Aground Inn, and used for Smuggling!  From memory, I think the Post Office was one of those buildings that fell down the cliffs a while back.  It was a private house, after the Post Office. BG.
 
http://www.timetravel-britain.com/articles/country/smuggling.shtml

busyglen

  • Guest
Re: The Isle of Sheppey Liberty 1847
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2010, 10:44:41 »
Thanks for that Paul, what a difference 50 years makes! Was this by Bagshaws or someone different?

I never realised, until recently, how much went on all those years ago further up the Island.  Although I've read some of the history books, they haven't mentioned anything in depth of the early years of life and the owners.  Fascinating!

Offline Paul

  • Established Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1481
  • Appreciation 61
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
Re: The Isle of Sheppey Liberty 1847
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2010, 20:55:17 »
Heres 1798 for Warden :)

WARDEN
LIES the next parish northward from Eastchurch, being usually called Warne by the inhabitants and neighbourhood.
THE PARISH is situated on the northern side of the island, the cliffs being the northern boundary of it. The village, which consists only of two houses, stands nearly in the centre of it, on high ground, having the church adjoining to it, near which the lands are mostly arable. In the south-west part of it, next to Eastchurch, there is a great deal of broom and furze, and below that, in the vale, much good pasture. On the south-east part, next to Leysdown, there is a deep watry vale, of
near a mile in width, a part of which is salt-marsh, being overflowed at high water; across which is the high road from Warden to Leysdown.
THE PARAMOUNT MANOR of Milton claims over this parish, subordinate to which is the MANOR OF WARDEN, which, in the reign of king Edward I. was in the possession of the family of Savage, of Bobbing, in this neighbourhood, one of which, John le Sauvage, obtained a charter of free-warren for his lands here, among others, in the 23d year of that reign.
In the 49th year of Edward III. Sir Richard atte Lese was in the possession of it, and by his will anno 18 Richard II. devised it to Dionisia his wife, and after her decease to Lucy Norton his niece, then the wife of John Norton, who was afterwards, in his wife's right, of Lees-court, in Sheldwich.
Their son William Norton, esq. of Sheldwich, left two sons, Reginald, from whom the Nortons, of Northwood were descended, and Richard, who inherited this manor by his father's will, in 1468, (fn. 1) and was an
cestor to those of Fordwich, in whose descendants it continued down to Valentine Norton, gent. of Fordwich, who in the reign of king Charles I. alieenated it to Edmund Tooke, of Dartford, the fourth son of George Tooke, esq. of Bere-court, near Dover; how long it continued in his descendants, I cannot learn, but that after some intermediate owners, it was sold to Sir Thomas Stevens, high sheriff of Surry in 1727, in which year he was knighted. He afterwards resided at Eltham, in this county, where he died in 1738, leaving one son Thomas, and a daughter Sarah, married that year to James West, esq. of Lincoln's-inn.
Thomas Stevens, esq. succeeded his father in this manor, among the left of his estates, and died s. p. in 1759, on which it devolved to his sister and heirat-law, whose husband, James West, esq. in her right, became possessed of it. He was descended from a younger son of Thomas, lord De la War, who in the reign of Henry VIII. was a man of great note, and a knight of the garter, and was of
Alscot, in Warwickshire, esq. He was recorder of St. Alban's, secretary to the treasury, and fellow of the royal and antiquarian societies, and bore for his arms those of the lord Delaware, his ancestor, Argent, a fess dancette, sable, He afterwards passed this manor away by sale to John Sawbridge, esq. of Ollantigh, in this county, afterwards an alderman and lord-mayor of London, who died possessed of it in 1795, and his son Samuel-Elias Sawbridge, esq. now of Ollantigh, is the present owner of it. There is not any court held for this manor.
Mr. Sawbridge is owner of this whole parish, except one tenement, and six acres of land belonging to it.
Charities.
Stephen Oxborne, by will in 1581, gave a sum of money to the parishes of Eastchurch and Leysdown, with which a house and land was purchased, as has been already more particularly mentioned before under the former of those parishes, 8s. out of the yearly produce of which, by the directions of the will, is paid to the use of the poor of th
is parish.
The number of poor relieved annually is only one, and casually the same.
WARDEN is within the ECCLESIASTICAL JURISDICTION of the diocese of Canterbury, and deanry of Sittingborne.
The church, which consists of one isle and a chancel, with a small turret at the west end, is a poor mean plaistered building. It is dedicated to St. James, and was for may years in a dilapidated state, insomuch that there had not been any divine service performed in it, except on the induction of a rector, for a long time, the parishioners, usually reforming to the adjoining church of Leysdown for that purpose; but it has been, some years since, put into some kind of repair, and made but hardly sit for divine service; though the whole building seems to decayed by length of time, that it cannot stand many years.
This church was part of the antient possessions of the crown, and continued so till king Henry III. by his charter, in his 19th year, granted it to the hospital of St. Mary, commonly called the
 Maison Dieu, in Dover, and the brethern there, for ever, in free, pure and perpetual alms, which gift was confirmed by Henry VI. in his 2d year, by his charter of inspeximus; before which this hospital was possessed of a manor and lands in this parish, by the benefaction of Simon de Wardune, who had given to it his whole messuage and park adjoining to it, and one hundred acres of land in the fields of Wardune, with the homage, suits and services, due to him from several persons, as mentioned in his deed of it, which gift was confirmed by king Henry III. in his 12th year, and afterwards by Henry VI. in his 2d year, when he confirmed likewise this church to it, by his charter of inspeximus.
This church remained with the hospital till the dissolution of it in the reign of Henry VIII. when it was surrendered, with all its possessions, into the king's hands. After which this church was granted to Sir Thomas Cheney, knight of the garter, &c. whose son Henry, lord Cheney in the reign of queen Elizabe
th, exchanged it with the crown for other lands, and the queen soon afterwards granted it to Sir Thomas Hoby, of Bisham, whose son Sir Edward Hoby gave it by his will to his son Peregrine Hoby, esq. who was possessed of it in the latter end of the reign of Charles I.
In the reign of king William III. it was in the possession of Godfrey Meynel, esq. and afterwards of Francis Hosier, esq. vice-admiral of the white, who died in 1727, on which it came to his widow, Mrs. Diana Hosier, and afterwards to their daughter Frances. Diana Hosier, who married Richard Hart, and he died possessed of the patronage of this rectory in 1761, leaving three daughters, Mary, Elizabeth, and Diana Hosier Hart, his coheirs, who are now entitled to it.
The church of Warden is a discharged living in the king's books, of the clear yearly certified value of forty-five pounds, the yearly tenths of it being 9s. 6?d. which were formerly paid to the crown receiver.
In 1578, the communicants here were twenty; in 1640 they
were only sixteen, and the yearly value of it thirty-six pounds.

Maybe it's big horse I'm a Londoner. :{

busyglen

  • Guest
Re: The Isle of Sheppey Liberty 1847
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2010, 18:58:17 »
This completes the Island.

There is a directory of business people ie. their names and occupations - quite a lot in Sheerness and Minster at this date.  If anyone is interested in these then I will post them here.  To avoid confusion, it is not a type of Census when everyone was listed - just a Business Directory. BG

busyglen

  • Guest
Re: The Isle of Sheppey Liberty 1847
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2010, 18:51:07 »
WARDEN  is a small village, 8 miles E. from Queenborough, near the northern side of the island.  The parish contains 236 acres of land, and in 1841 had 7 houses and 52 inhabitants; population in 1801, 7; in 1831, 27: rateable value 405.  The executors of the late D. Banks Esq., are lords of the manor and owners of the whole parish, except a very small portion.

THE CHURCH is a small neat fabric mantled with ivy, and consists of nave and chancel with a tower and spire at the west end.  The living is a rectory, valued in the King's books at 4.17s.8d. in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. R.C. Willis  D.D.  The structure was repaired, re-pewed, and a tower and spire erected in 1832, by the late D. Banks, Esq.  The tithes were commuted in 1847, for 84.12s.6d.  The glebe consists of four acres near the cliff, which is gradually wasting from the inroads of the sea.  There is a Coast Guard Station a short distance from the church.  The poor of this parish participate in the charity of Stephen Osborne. (See parish of Eastchurch.)

Directory: Edward Holden, farm bailiff; and John Randall, surveyor of highways, overseer, churchwarden, and victualler, Smack Inn.

busyglen

  • Guest
Re: The Isle of Sheppey Liberty 1847
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2010, 18:38:31 »
ELMLEY (Isle of) is a parish and small island, 3 miles S. by E. from Queenborough, separated on the north from the Isle of Sheppey by a narrow water called the Dray, the south side being bounded by the Swale, which flows between it and the main land of the county.  This Isle is about three miles in length and two in breadth, and contains 1,761 acres of land, mostly rich pasture land, upon which are large flocks of sheep.  Population in 1801, 21; in 1831, 29; and in 1841, 42; at which time there were 7 houses. H.P. Gipps, Esq., is lord of the manor and owner of the whole estate, which is occupied by non-residents.

THE CHURCH, which is dedicated to St. James, was in a dilapidated state for more than 200 years.  In 1816 it was fitted up for Divine service by Dr. Percy, and the Rev. John Poore, D.D., now occasionally officiates in it.  This is a very humble edifice, and probably the smallest church in England, the extreme length measuring only 19 feet, and the breadth 11 feet 3 inches.  The living is the rectory, valued in the King's books at £5.  Patrons: the wardens and fellows of All Souls College, Oxford; incumbent Rev. Sir B.W.R. Boothby, Bart.  This church anciently belonged to the priory of Leeds, but in the reign of Henry VI we find it in the hands of the crown, for that King granted the patronage and advowson of it to the warden and fellows of All Souls College, Oxford, and they continue patrons of it at this time. 

Lancelot Worsley, Esq., the occupier of the land, has a neat house, and occasionally resides here, to whom Alfred Howe is steward.

busyglen

  • Guest
Re: The Isle of Sheppey Liberty 1847
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2010, 16:04:02 »
THE ISLE OF HARTY or HARTRY, is situated 9 miles S. E. from Queenborough, and contains 2,530 acres of rich grazing land, occupied by non-residents.  In 1841 the Island contained 19 houses, scattered over the district, in which farm bailiffs reside, and 117 inhabitants, Population in 1801, 35;  in 1831, 67;  value £2,649.  On the west and north it has Caple Creek; on the east the Muswell Creek. And the East Swale flows between it and the main land of the county.  The Island is comprised in one parish, and is about two miles in length and one in breadth.  About half a mile W. by S. from the church is a ferry, the property of G. Gosling, Esq., which crosses the East Swale to Oare,   the river being nearly a mile in breadth.  The principal landowners are Hilton, Munn and Co., John Abbott, Esq., and the executors of the late D. Banks, Esq. Opposite the ferry-house is a floating coast-guard station, Henry Ruddy, chief boatman.

THE CHURCH (St. Thomas the Apostle) is a small edifice, with nave, chancel, two side chantries, and a low pointed turret.  The living is a perpetual curacy, rated in the King's books at £20. 6s. 01/2d.  now £50, in the patronage of the heirs of T. Foord, and incumbency of the Rev. Edward Smith.  In the reign of Queen Elizabeth, Simon Lowe brought a writ of right for the recovery of an estate here called the Moat, against Thomas Paramor, but upon being nonsuited, a trial at battle was demanded, on which the champions of each party met at the appointed time at Tothill Fields, Westminster, before the justices of the Common Pleas, who were to be judges of the duel, where, after much formal solemnity and proclamation being made, a nonsuit was prayed and the land adjudged to Paramor, for the Queen had so ordered it that they were not to fight.

DIRECTORY: John Groombridge, ferryman and vict. Ferry House,
Thomas Walker, steward to Hilton Munn & Co., Sayes Court.

busyglen

  • Guest
Re: The Isle of Sheppey Liberty 1847
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2010, 15:39:45 »
LEYSDOWN is a parish and small scattered village, 9 miles E. S. from Queenborough, which in 1841 contained 37 houses and 310 inhabitants.  Population in 1801, 88; in 1831, 191.  The parish contains 2,182 acres of land, almost wholly pasture grounds.  Hilton, Munn and Co., are the principal landowners.  John D. Dyke Esq., and Mr. Holdbrook have also estates here.  In the year 1750, Mr. Jacob discovered in this parish the acetabulum of an elephant sticking in the clay, which was partly washed away from the cliff;  at the same time were found a thigh-bone, four feet long, and numberless other fragments, too rotten to be taken up entire.  Some time after he found an elephant's tusk, which was eight feet long, an account of which was published in the Philosophical Transactions, vol XLVIII, page 626.

THE CHURCH, dedicated to St. Clement, is a small structure, with a wooden turret at the west end;  it stands on the site of a very ancient edifice, the tower of which was embattled and hung over towards the south, more than seven feet out of the perpendicular line, and was of very superior and costly workmanship.  The living is a vicarage, valued in the King's books at 10. 10s. Three turns in the gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury, and the fourth in that of W.A. Munn, Esq. ; Rev. J.C. Bissett, Vicar.  The tithes are commuted for 165.  There is a coast-guard station near the bridge, Lieut. Charles Gale is the officer.  Shellness  Coast-guard station is situated 3 miles S.E. from the church.  The poor of this parish participate in the benefit of Stephen Osborne?s
charity. (See Eastchurch).

DIRECTORY: Rev. William Dugdale Astley, MA, Curate; John Sherlock, bailiff to Hilton, Munn and Co.; John Taylor, farm bailiff, Little Gore; Thomas West, Vict. Rose and Crown.

busyglen

  • Guest
Re: The Isle of Sheppey Liberty 1847
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2010, 15:16:24 »
CHARITIES:- Stephen Osborne, by Will 1581, bequeathed 53 to be laid out in land, to give the rents amoung the poor of the parishes of Leysdown, Eastchurch, and Warden, to the latter 8s. yearly, and the residue equally between the two former parishes.  The land now produces 22 per annum.  An annuity of 20 was left by Mrs. Dades, to the poor.  A sum of 13 a year arises from lands left by Dr. Forster, in 1721, for the education of poor children.  Certain lands given by the feoffees of Sir John Haywoods, to the poor of Eastchurch, produce 18. 12s. per annum.

busyglen

  • Guest
Re: The Isle of Sheppey Liberty 1847
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 15:14:14 »
EASTCHURCH, is an extensive parish and considerable village, 5 miles E by S, from Queenborough, which contains 7,511 acres of land, and in 1841, had 160 houses and 1,019 inhabitants: population in 1801, 292; in 1831, 857.  Rateable value, 8,788.  The Principal landowners are the exucutors of late D. Banks Esq., R. Holford Esq., Matthew Bell Esq., Joseph Todd Esq., Thos. Todd Esq., Mrs. Lake, Rt. Wm. Boarer Esq., the Crown, Mr. Geo. King, and Mr. John Godwin; Mr. Francis and Mr. White are lords of the manor.

THE CHURCH, which is dedicated to All Saints, is a large imbattled structure, with nave, side aisles, and chancel, and a square tower at the west end, in which are five bells.  It has recently been repaired, and neatly fitted up, and contains several ancient memorials, among which is one to Gabriel Livesey and Anne, his wife, with their effigies lying at full length.  The living is a vicarage valued in the King's books at 13. 16s. 6d. in the patronage of Miles Barton, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. John Barton, M. A.  The tithes were commuted in 1842, for 1,668. 13s. 4d.  The rectory, recently re-built, is a neat residence, situated near the church.  The scarcity of fresh water in Eastchurch makes the inhabitants very careful to preserve such as falls from the clouds, for which purpose there are a number of spouts leading from the leads of the church into large tubs round it, in the churchyard.  These having lids with locks, are sinecures for those who have been at the expense of building them.

THE WESLEYANS AND INDEPENDENTS have each a place of worship in the village.  A  National School was built in 1840, at a cost of 418, raised by public subscription, and a grant from the National Society; it will accommodate 200 children.

THE MANOR OF SHURLAND was anciently the property of the Cheney family.  Sir Thomas Cheney, from his sumptuous manor of living, acquired the name of the extravagant Lord Cheney: he was buried with great pomp in a small chapel adjoining the church of Minster.  Kingsborough is a manor here in the possession of the crown; the inhabitants still continue their ancient custom of holding their general court and law day, under a tree called the court tree. Swanley is a handsome residence, one mile E. b. N. from the church.  Shurland House, a little east of the village, is the property of R. Holford Esq.

Cont..

busyglen

  • Guest
Re: The Isle of Sheppey Liberty 1847
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 14:46:24 »
THE UNION WORKHOUSE, of the several parishes in the Island of Sheppy, is situated a little north from the village of Minster.  It will accommodate 185 inmates, and there are 18 guardians.  John Ward Esq. Chairman; Robert Edmeades, Clerk & Superintendent-Registrar. Wm. Peter Cullen, House Surgeon; John S. Keddell, District-Surgeon; Chas. Peters, Relieving Officer, and Thos. C. Swift, Registrar, for Eastchurch; Joseph Cuzens, Governor.

The following are hamlets in this parish:- Halfway Houses, 1 mile W by S. from the church.  Scrapsgate, 1 mile. East End, 1 mile E; here are delightful Tea and Pleasure Gardens, at the Royal Oak Inn, the grounds of which are tastefully laid out with walks, harbours, grottoes, etc. and command a pleasing prospect to the ocean, which is constantly enlivened by a moving panorama of boats and vessels gliding upon its surface.  Fossils and a variety of curiosities are found upon the beach, adjoining the gardens.  This beautiful spot is the frequent resort of pleasure parties, during the summer months from Sheerness, from which it is about 4 miles distant.  The Inn is spacious, embraces every comfort, and parties will find the most assiduous attention from the proprietor, M. John Bigg.  Borstall Hall, is a very ancient mansion,  S. by E. from the church, in the occupancy of Mr. George Ferrell.  Borstall House, is pleasantly situated  E. from the church, and has recently been converted into a boarding establishment for young gentlemen.  About 5 miles S. from the church is King's Ferry, which crosses the Swale; it is free for foot passengers and horses from 4am to 8pm. There is a Coastguard Station, at East End, under the direction of Lieut. Joseph Strong, RN.  A vessel moored off Scrapsgate is also used as a coastguard station.  The Cheney Rock Oyster Fishery, extending from Garrison Point to Saunders Brook, a distance of 6 miles, is the property of Messrs. T.D. and D. Alston.

CHARITY:- Wm. Hopson, by Will, 1817, bequeathed  £700, Three per Cent Consols, in trust, and directed the dividends to be employed in the education of poor children.  In the Parliamentary Returns of 1786, it is stated that land of the annual value of £4 was left to the poor.  The Union House was built upon this land.

busyglen

  • Guest
Re: The Isle of Sheppey Liberty 1847
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 14:19:55 »
MINSTER, parish included the VILLE OF SHEERNESS, and is by far the largest of any in the Island containing 10,128 acres of land, and in 1841 had 1,652 houses and 8,684 inhabitants.  Population in 1801, 5,561; in 1831, 7,983; rateable value £21,300.

This parish takes its name from the monastery founded in very early times within it.  Minstre, in the Saxon language, signifying a monastery or religious house.  The village is situated on high ground, near the middle of the parish, with the church and ruins of the monastery on the north side of it; of the latter however, there are but few vestiges remaining.

THE MONASTERY, was founded here by Sexburga, one of the daughters of Annas, King of East Anglia, between the years 664 and 673, which she endowed for seventy-seven nuns, and became herself the first abbess of it.  During the times of the Danish invasions, the religious of the monastery were subject to continual instances of cruelty and oppression, and at last their house was in a great measure destroyed by them, and the nuns dispersed.  In the year 1130 it was re-edified and replenished with nuns of the Benedictine order by Archbishop Corboil, and dedicated to St. Mary and St. Sexburg.  This religious house was suppressed, with similar institutions, in the 27th year of King Henry VIII, at which time there were ten nuns and a prioress in it, and the annual revenue amounted to £122. 14s. 6d.  In the reign of King Edward III the inhabitants had the grant of a fair to be held on Palm Monday. The principal landowners are the Crown, Lord Harris, the executors of the late D. Banks Esq., St. Catherine's Hospital, Captain William Hopson, Lady Jones, Thomas Webb, Esq., Tomas Flight Esq., James Lake, Esq;, Matthew Bell, Esq., F.B.Dyne, Esq., Dr. E. Nettleford, William Nettleford, Esq., Joseph Todd, Esq., Rev. George Moore, John Hyde, Esq., Mr. Crawley, Mr. Dendy, Mr. Downs,  and Mr. Scott.

THE CHURCH, which is dedicated to St. Mary and St. Sexburg, is supposed by some to have been the church belonging to the Monastery.  It consists of nave, north aisle and a chancel, with a tower at the west end, upon which is a turret containing a clock and five bells. Under an arch in the north wall is the figure of a man habited in armour.  In the north chancel is the tomb of Sir Thomas Cheney, and other ancient memorials.  The living is a perpetual curacy, valued at £169.  Patron J. Whitchurch, Esq.; incumbent, Rev. R.C. Willis, D.D.  In the year 1489, there was a chapel, dedicated to St. John Baptist, situated within the cemetery of Minster.  This church was anciently appropriated to the monastery here; and the church of Queenborough was esteemed as a chapel of ease to this church, the ecclesiastical jurisdiction of which extended over the Ville of Sheerness.  The tithes were commuted in 1842 for £1,602. 11s.  The National School is over the chancel of the church.  The Independents and Methodists have each a chapel here.

busyglen

  • Guest
Re: The Isle of Sheppey Liberty 1847
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010, 19:50:40 »
CHARITIES:

Joseph Shield, in 1690, bequeathed to the poor of this parish £50; in 1822 this sum, with £1.9s.2d interest was vested in the Corporation, for which £2.11s.6d is annually paid.  The Corporation also pay the interest of £40 given by two gentlemen who got ashore at this place after a shipwreck; one half of the interest is paid for a sermon annually.

Richard Webb,in 1813, gave £1,000, three per cent, consols, and directed the following payments to be made from the dividends, vis: £5.5s. for costs in the execution of the trust; 21s. for a sermon annually; 5s. a piece to ten poor widows; 40s. to the schoolmaster; 15s. for a silver pen to the scholar for the best specimen of penmanship; 6d to each poor child at Minster Workhouse, with certain sums for jackets, gowns, etc.  About twenty widows have each received from 15s. to 20s. for some time past.

The poor have the interest of £50, left by Geo. Evans Baker in 1815.

Thomas Y. Greet, in 1819, gave £100 towards the expense of a reservoir for supplying the borough.

William Stamp, in 1817, gave £400 five per cent. Stock, in trust to apply the dividends in the purchase of bread, meat, and other necessaries, to be distributed among poor widows on Old Christmas-day.

 

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines