News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dockyard Gates  (Read 19994 times)

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 33
Re: Dockyard Gates
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2010, 23:50:48 »
The Alexandra Gate is only just out of the picture Peter.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 166
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2010, 23:12:46 »
Whoops, my Reply#10 is wrong.
St Georges Centre is between the old Barracks entrance and Khyber Road, about where the big crowd is at the right of Reply#3, and about where the old bus stop was. Yet there seems no sign of a gate in the wall opposite.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 33
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2010, 22:50:18 »
There were several gates into the dockyard over the years. Some of them main access points and others as restricted access to other establishments. Working from south to north there were:-

1. A gate linking the Gun Wharf into the Dockyard at Anchor Wharf through which the dokyard railway ran.
2. South Gate at the far end of the Ropery onto New Stairs.
3. The wartime pedestrian gates on Dock Road.
4. The Main Gate.
5. Alexandra Gate so named from the visit of Princess Alexandra.
6. Pembroke Gate old and Pembroke Gate new.
7. Barracks Gate linking into the Naval Barracks
8. Gillingham Gate
9. Pier Approach Road
Gate linking through to the Bennan Torpedo factory

Offline swiftone

• Appreciation 20
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 22:42:52 »
Re Reply#6. Is this an earlier or later picture of the same gate as the 2nd one in Reply#3?
Another Dockyard feature that has just come back to my mind was the Dockyard Hooter; it could be heard all over the towns, signalling the start/end of the day, break times, etc. I think it was also used as the "take cover" signal given by roof watchers during air-raids. Does anyone else remember?

I believe only reply#6 is a photo of Gillingham Gate.

I recollect that they changed the timing of the breakfast hooter. I think it originally was 9am. The start work hooter was 7am. They changed the start breakfast hooter to 7.10am and the finish at 7.30am. I think this was to get more work done.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 166
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 22:38:56 »
I thought St Georges Centre was actually inside the Main Gate, in the old Dockyard Church.

merc

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 17:45:21 »
There was an Alexandra Gate to, just down the road from Pembroke Gate.
But Pembroke Gate was at the end of the road. There was an entrance to the RN Barracks (HMS Pembroke) on the right; it can be seen behind the bus in the link of Reply#2. Could it be that?

Alexandra Gate went into the dockyard opposite the St. George's Centre. I don't think it was a main gate though.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 166
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010, 17:26:31 »
Re Reply#6. Is this an earlier or later picture of the same gate as the 2nd one in Reply#3?
Another Dockyard feature that has just come back to my mind was the Dockyard Hooter; it could be heard all over the towns, signalling the start/end of the day, break times, etc. I think it was also used as the "take cover" signal given by roof watchers during air-raids. Does anyone else remember?

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 103
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2010, 17:06:55 »
That looks more like a bell tower mast than radio to me.

Offline swiftone

• Appreciation 20
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 11:11:40 »
Gillingham Gate from "The Chatham Dockyard Story". The cranes around No 3 basin can be seen in the background with a pair of cottages just inside the gates. Out of shot, on the left was an alley. Horse Chestnut (Conker) trees in the dockyard overhung this alley.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 166
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 08:44:36 »
There was an Alexandra Gate to, just down the road from Pembroke Gate.
But Pembroke Gate was at the end of the road. There was an entrance to the RN Barracks (HMS Pembroke) on the right; it can be seen behind the bus in the link of Reply#2. Could it be that?

The first picture is of Pembroke Gate. It is the same as the link in Reply#3; again the railings by the barracks entrance can be seen.

I think the 2nd picture is Gillingham Gate

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 339
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 03:26:10 »
Looking at the pics it seems Chatham's gates were all brick built and the gates in the photo seem to be stone. I tried a google image search, but it threw up no decent images of Pembroke (Wales) for comparison.  However, I did check google earth on the off chance, and wonder, is this the gate from the first pic?

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=pembroke+dock+navy+gate+wales&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&ie=UTF8&ll=51.693334,-4.952787&spn=0,0.003484&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=51.693239,-4.952826&panoid=fNw30p4VqmfUbcVaX_OQaA&cbp=12,0.79,,0,5

It would be about right with what I've been finding with his pics - he lived in Kent most of his life (when he wasn't at sea) but half the pictures seem to be taken away from Kent!

Still not sure about the second & 3rd pic though.
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 166
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 21:17:49 »
I'm sure the only gates to the Dockyard were Main Gate, Pembroke Gate (at the bottom of Dock Road, about where the roundabout is now) and Gillingham Gate (somewhere opposite where the new police station is).

Pembroke Gate was an unimpressive affair, just a couple of brick pillars as far as I can recall, with a police post just inside. Somewhere on the Forum is a photo of an out-muster that shows the whole area round the gate, but I can't find it. The best I can do at the moment is the last bus photo in Reply#4 of this link.
http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=5113.0
Pembroke Gate is just out of sight at the extreme left. Having lived in Medway most of my life, I don't think I've ever seen Gillingham Gate !!! However my guess is that the photos of the police group were taken there, and that the single policeman is standing by some internal gateway - certainly there was no radio mast just inside Pembroke Gate.

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 339
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
Dockyard Gates
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 19:09:40 »
Although the very ornate Dockyard Main Gate in Dock Road is well known I know there were other gates into the Dockyard too. Does anyone have any old photos of them, or remember how they looked?

I have some pictures of Sgt Barr of the Royal Marines Police taken at one or more Dockyard gates and wondered if anyone might recognise them. He was a RMP from 1922-37 and spent all but a couple of those years in Chatham (1927-9 he was at Pembroke Docks, Wales), so it seems likely the photos (or at least some of them) were taken at Chatham.

Group Shot, looks like a fairly major gate to me

Looks like a less major gate than the first photo

A guardroom near the gate?

Larger versions here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/22124479@N03/4811923937/in/set-72157624283300565/
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines