News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hospitals in Brompton  (Read 4048 times)

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 339
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
Re: Hospitals in Brompton
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 21:38:46 »
Thanks numanfan, very useful to have dates for those, though it adds yet another hospital name - The Artillery Hospital! But at least we know from the info that it is actually the Ordnance Hospital.  I wonder which the "Upper Barracks" are that it refers to. If it is upper Kitchener Barracks it would suggest the Ordnance hospital was somewhere near the Church or School in Maxwell road.

By 1932 the Garrison Hospital in Maxwell Road has become Upper Kitchener Barracks, but the Military Families Hospital is still there (and thanks to this map I now have the exact location for it). Both of these were replaced with army married quarters in the 1960s.

=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 122
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 20:19:14 »
Obviously there would have been small infirmaries/first-aid posts/etc in the barracks, but I'm interested in actual hospitals.  I'm also interested in when they were built/closed if anyone knows.

Got these snippets from "The Story of Chatham"

The Ordnance Hospital, formerly known as the Artillery Hospital, was erected in 1809, and was situated to the north-east of the Upper Barracks.

And

1827-8. The Melville or Marine Hospital, situated nearly opposite the entrance gates of the doc
kyard, were commenced in 1827 and completed in the subsequent year. The hospital was built at the suggestion of William IV when he was Lord High Admiral.

Hope this helps.
www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 339
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 17:07:49 »
I saw that post bromptonboy, that's why I'd only noted it as 'possible'. Like you I think that one wasn't an actual hospital.
=========

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 33
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 14:27:12 »
Loefwine, The Dock Road tunnels. correctly known as the Melville Deep Refuge, did not have a hospital. There was a very small section for the treatment minor casualties, but certainly no hospital. have a look at my original post of Nov 5 2009 in the Barracks, Training and WD Land section under the heading of Chatham Military Hospitals.

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 339
Hospitals in Brompton
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 02:00:14 »
Reading through various posts on the site there are many different references to hospitals in or very close to Brompton.  The ones that I can think of are the Melville Hospital, The Garrison Hospital, The Garrison Families Hospital, The Ordnance Hospital and possibly the Dock Road Underground Hospital.  I can locate two of these accurately (Melville & Garrison) but can't really locate the others. Were some just alternate names for the same hospital, or were there really 4 or 5 different hospitals in the area?

Obviously there would have been small infirmaries/first-aid posts/etc in the barracks, but I'm interested in actual hospitals.  I'm also interested in when they were built/closed if anyone knows.

Here are the two I'm sure of on the 1866 OS Map.

Melville Hospital. On the site between Dock Road, New Cut and Brompton Hill, now Melville Court flats, and previously Melville Barracks.

Garrison Hospital. In Maxwell Road between Holy Trinity School and the Garrison Church Vicarage, going back as far as the top of Prospect Row.

Larger versions: http://www.flickr.com/photos/22124479@N03/5077010552/in/photostream/
=========

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines