News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Chatham Village & Chatham Reach 1685  (Read 6396 times)

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 238
Re: Chatham Village & Chatham Reach 1685
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 14:35:18 »
I wonder if each ship had a permanent, or at least semi-permanent, berth on the river, hence the name. Or it may have been a record made to show things on a particular date. Given the date of 1685 it might have been part of a royal inventory for James II's ascension to the throne, recording the state/disposition of the Fleet.
The ships illustrated in post one are shown laid up in ordinary, in storage as it were.
The upper masts would be removed along with the yards, sails, guns etc. A caretaker/watchman would look after the ship or it could be used for accommodation.
The 2nd ship from the left is a sheer-hulk, used to hoist lower masts into position.

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 339
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 21:49:54 »
Thanks numanfan, looks like that's the mill pond formed by the dam for sure.  And I'm guessing it is the mill shown in the 1685 map beside the pond too.
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 339
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 15:19:08 »
Amazing that even back then the Dockyard is labelled "Old Dock Yard".

I've seen other maps showing the area around the Paddock through the centuries.  It started out as pretty much all marsh, at least beyond Globe Lane, and there was a water mill where the water works is now.

I've just had a thought from what you said about a mill. I wonder if the area of water shown is not to indicate the marsh, but in fact shows the mill pond?
=========

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 339
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 14:28:24 »
I wonder if each ship had a permanent, or at least semi-permanent, berth on the river, hence the name. Or it may have been a record made to show things on a particular date. Given the date of 1685 it might have been part of a royal inventory for James II's ascension to the throne, recording the state/disposition of the Fleet.
=========

Offline Stewie

• Appreciation 14
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 13:13:48 »
Interesting putting the ship names on the map because as soon as one sailed it would be out of date! However a fascinating glimpse of a long ago time. Thankyou Leofwine.

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 339
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 12:42:50 »
It was labelled the 'old' Dockyard because in the 1680s the Dockyard was being redeveloped (if I can find the 1688 and 98 maps I'll post them to show the 'new' dockyard). But I agree, it does seem funny thinking of it as the Old Dockyard when it was only a little over 60 years old!
=========

Offline Jason

• Appreciation 7
    • Historic Medway
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 06:15:48 »
Amazing that even back then the Dockyard is labelled "Old Dock Yard".

I've seen other maps showing the area around the Paddock through the centuries.  It started out as pretty much all marsh, at least beyond Globe Lane, and there was a water mill where the water works is now.

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 339
Chatham Village & Chatham Reach 1685
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 01:13:28 »
One of my favourite old maps is this one of Chatham Reach from 1685. It's not the most accurate map of the area, but it gives a great idea of where the old village of Chatham was near St Mary's Church in Dock Road (simply called Chatham Church back then). These buildings (except the curch) were all ripped down in the mid 18th century to make way for Fort Amherst.  It's also interesting to note the mapmaker has shown the low lying marshland that is now the area between sun pier and Chatham Library as water rather than land, giving a good idea just how marshy this area was. It was into this marshland the brook (when it was a real brook) emptied in those days.

It shows how much smaller the Dockyard was back then, although the ropery is already there, as is the teamsters and stables in the chalk pit at Brompton. It's also interesting to see the various ships named there, all moored in the reach, scene of the Duch raid less than 20 years before.

Larger versions: http://www.flickr.com/photos/22124479@N03/5098254428/in/photostream/
=========

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines