News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Storm damage on the Admiralty Pier, 1950s  (Read 5379 times)

Offline helcion

• Appreciation 30
Re: Storm damage on the Admiralty Pier, 1950s
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 15:57:42 »
Nemo    -

Most interesting pix, thanks for posting.

Undoubtedly the salvage vessel lifted the van from alongside the Admiralty Pier & took it over to Eastern Docks & into the Camber which was 'open' at the time [filled-in for parking in 1984] & has the ropeway in the background.

The Admiralty Pier takes the brunt of southwesterly gales & even the masonry of the pier has been damaged in the past.

In October 2013 an unusually early gale caused much damage to cruise passengers' cars parked in the open by the turret.

http://www.doverforum.com/sea-news/index.php?c=67     [scroll down]

There are other photos of earlier storm damage on the internet.

I should think that whoever lost the film was spitting mad  -  lets hope that they are still around & watching the forum !

Cheers

Helcion

Offline Nemo

• Appreciation 17
Re: Storm damage on the Admiralty Pier, 1950s
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 14:32:49 »
These are dated 14th March 1951, though that could refer to the storm rather than the recovery.  One appears to show the root of the Eastern Arm as the recovery point, given what seem to be aerial ropeway pylons in the background.

Storm damage on the Admiralty Pier, 1950s
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 12:10:46 »
A neighbour lent me these pics a while back. Apparently he got them from a friend who'd found a roll of film that somehad had dropped, and had it processed out of interest. They date from some time in the 1950s - probably mid-50s as Pier Turret Battery's battery command post is visible. Just think: we'd never heard of global warming then. I wonder what they blamed the storm on?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines