News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Invicta Legend  (Read 4656 times)

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 31
Re: The Invicta Legend
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 20:43:07 »
The Norman invaders burned Dover to the ground. Hope this helps.

Maybe the term 'William The Bastard' does have a double meaning after all!

Accepting William as King was a capitulation but it's nice to get something from the deal.

Although the 'Invicta' name is said to come from those time, the Kent symbol of the white horse is much older and is shared with many regions from across the channel, especially the Low Countries.

When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

Offline Stewie

• Appreciation 14
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 19:42:59 »
I have known of this legend for some time but have always wondered quite what it meant.
The version I have heard continued that the Normans gained free access to Dover and also held lands in Kent, which means that the Normans took over the running of Kent (which seems a bit like conquering it to me).
I think I am right in saying that Harold Godwinson owned a lot of property in the county and so it would seem that the new order would want to distribute this land amongst the new aristocracy to remove any ties to the former King.
Is there any recorded evidence that the people of Kent were treated any differently to the Saxon population in other (Southern) parts of the country?

davidt

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 19:30:50 »
Interesting stuff Glen. I knew that Invicta meant unconquered, but I didn't know where it came from. I've been past the church a few times and I never knew that was there. Thanks for sharing that with us all.

Glen

The Invicta Legend
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 00:15:09 »
Today I was at St Peter & St Paul church in Swanscombe and came across a monument detialing the legend of Invicta....

It is believed that this legend was the inspiration behind one of the scenes is Shakespeare's Macbeth when the forest marched.

Glen

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines