News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Road, Chatham  (Read 19060 times)

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
Re: New Road, Chatham
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 16:09:42 »
Here's one dating from 1918. Apart from the tram, it looks surprisingly similar to the modern view.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 22:37:39 »

Just remembered, I do believe there was a toll-gate near St. Pauls church once. You can just see the top of its tower in the photo. (the church that is, not the toll-gate!)

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 22:34:30 »

I believe the picture is another from the excellent Couchman collection. I would say that it dates from the 50's by the look of the traffic.

Hard to imagine these days that this used to be the main route through to London! Just think of all the traffic on the M2 trying to make its way along the same road today :-)

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 22:00:36 »
I was looking about trying to find when New Road was actually new! I have finally found out and I think it's about time the name was changed to 'Old New Road' or something similar. In his The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent (1798) Edward Hasted tells us:

Close to the houses on the opposite or south side of the High-street, over the chalk hill at about a quarter of a mile distance, there has been a new road cut of late at a very great expence, by the authority of parliament, to avoid the inconvenience of passing through this street. The inhabitants of Chatham were so much alarmed at this, left, the thoroughfare of their town being neglected, their traffic would likewise soon decay, that they refused to have their town comprehended in the act, which those of Rochester obtained, for the new paving and otherwise beautifying that town and Stroud, as the making this new road was to be part of the act. However, they soon found, on the other hand, that if the town of Chatham too was not made more safe and commodious for travellers, the greatest part of them would most probably avoid so unsafe and disagreeable a thoroughfare, by travelling the new road, which again alarmed them so much, that in 1772 they procured an act themselves for the like purposes, which was followed by another more extensive in 1776; in consequence of which the High-street has been new paved and lighted, and several of the annoyances have been removed, which before rendered this narrow thoroughfare so inconvenient and disagreeable to passengers; the expences of which are railed on the proprietors of houses and lands, by a rate not exceeding ninepence in the pound.
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 21:44:28 »
 What is the approx date of smiffys photo? 1920's?

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 21:37:18 »
From Luton Arches to the viaduct it is 'New Road, Chatham', then from the viaduct to Fort Pitt Hill (ie - Reply#2) it is 'New Road  Avenue',  and then to Star Hill it is 'New Road, Rochester'.  
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 21:29:04 »
Is this the same New Road?
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

patmore

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 21:12:11 »
What a great photo smiffy, where did you find that?
                                                                 James

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 20:49:15 »

It's amazing to think that this is what the New road looked like within living memory. I think that's the corner of Whittaker street just visible on the extreme left. What you see nowadays bears so little relation to this picture that it's hard to believe it's the same road.

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 125
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
New Road, Chatham
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 09:00:13 »
Is it really 30 years ago you could stand with your back to Luton Arches and get this view?

www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines