Kent History Forum

News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Road, Chatham  (Read 15521 times)

Online smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
Re: New Road, Chatham
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2017, 21:36:03 »
This is labelled as "possibly new road". If it is, it must have been near the Luton arches end, probably between Claremont Place and Frederick street. I wonder if anyone can confirm this? The roofs of a couple of larger buildings are visible toward the left which may provide a clue.

Online smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2013, 15:25:46 »
S E Gazette 19th September 1871

The Clerk said that was a special meeting for the purpose of considering the question as to the abolition of the toll-gate in the New-road. With regard to that question he had received a memorial, signed by a large number of persons - only about half a dozen of whom were residents in the New-road - asking that the toll-gate in question might be abolished. Their Act gave them the power either to abolish the toll-gate or to remove it to another part of the road. The amount of rent received from the gate was 20. The board had power to pull the toll-house down, but he should recommend that the adjoining land should be kept by the board, as it might prove of use.
The Chairman Yes, we might erect a memorial on it to the departed turnpike [laughter].
Mr. Austin proposed, and Mr. Hopkins seconded, that at the expiration of the year the toll-gate should be abolished, and this was unanimously agreed to, Mr. Austin remarking, amid some laughter, that they would then get a better class of persons to frequent the New-road. The question as to the disposal of the toll-house and the adjoining land was left to the committee to report upon.

I was wondering when the toll-gate was finally removed, this seems to narrow it down to the end of 1871 which means it was there for 100 years.

Offline BygoneMedway

• Appreciation 24
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2013, 18:40:16 »
Ah.. I understood that the bypass came first. Many thanks for clearing that up.
If there are any councillors reading. I apologize  :)

Online smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2013, 18:37:05 »
Could anyone have stopped you taking this route, I wonder?

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 349
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton: Then & Now
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2013, 18:19:33 »
The whole idea of New Road was too bypass the High Street. Why would you put a toll down after? Thats the counsel for you.  :)

It was built as a toll road from the start. You had the choice of paying the toll and having a good, safe road from Rochester to Chatham Hill (or vice versa) or travel free along the more winding, unpleasant and dangerous Chatham High Street.

Offline BygoneMedway

• Appreciation 24
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2013, 18:13:16 »
The whole idea of New Road was to bypass the High Street. Why would you put a toll down after? Thats the council for you.  :)

Online smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2013, 14:31:15 »
During much of the 19th century, there were two main Toll-Gates in the Medway Towns, one at Strood and the other in the New Road. As can be seen in this advert from the 1860's the disparity in rents is striking, the Strood gate being by far the most profitable. The New Road gate seems to have been held in some distain, as is seen in the second clipping. I'm not sure why this was the case and can only assume that the New Road toll could be bypassed (via the High Street), whereas the Strood one couldn't.

Online smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2013, 18:52:31 »
Elm Cottage. I think this was situated on the site now occupied by Goldblatts chartered accountants, near the Spembly works.

drunkenbaker

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2013, 23:36:35 »
The part fom Luton Arches to the viaduct is 'New Road, Chatham', then the length over the viadfuct as far as the bottom of Fort Pitt Hill is 'New Road Avenue, Chatham', then it becomes' New Road, Rochester'. So far as I know, it was all built at the same time, although there might be some complication about how it fits in with 'Old Road'. Probably somebody knows more.

I haven't managed to find any maps to prove this, but I assume that Old Road's original path took it toward Fort Pitt and that it disappeared when Chatham Railway Station (and its cast cutting) was constructed. I guess we need to find maps dated between 1771 and 1858. Alternatively we might be able to create a virtual map from surviving 1851 Census returns.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2013, 17:21:58 »
The part fom Luton Arches to the viaduct is 'New Road, Chatham', then the length over the viadfuct as far as the bottom of Fort Pitt Hill is 'New Road Avenue, Chatham', then it becomes' New Road, Rochester'. So far as I know, it was all built at the same time, although there might be some complication about how it fits in with 'Old Road'. Probably somebody knows more.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline BygoneMedway

• Appreciation 24
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2013, 15:49:27 »
When New Road was built (to bypass Chatham High Street)?  Did it go straight through to Star Hill or did it meet near the Rochester side of New Rd?. If so where did the roads meet?  :)

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2011, 08:46:53 »
I think that is Gibraltar Hill to the right.
It is. It looks as if it pre-dates the Gibralter Hotel. The houses stretching away on the right hand side of the road, as far as the junction with Old Road, I believe have quite a history. Are there any photos or details of them on KHF?

The building behind the trees on the left is St Mary's Rectory, presumably associated with the St Mary's Church in Dock Road - rather a long way away!

St John's Rectory (Church a bit nearer, in Railway Street) is just out of the picture, next door on the left. (1907 OS map)
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

merc

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2010, 19:46:23 »
Hi Invicta,

From the London Gazette site: http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/

Invicta

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2010, 19:27:47 »
Hi Merc,

Fascinating stuff, may I enquire where you got the note from?

~Invicta

merc

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 17:50:37 »
The former New Road viaduct/military gateway over Rome Lane (Railway Street) had it's foundation stone laid in 1779. Gibraltar Place was among the first collection of buildings built along New Road, and dates from 1794.

I also found this from 1771, which although sayes 'Star Lane', might be 'Star Hill'.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines