News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Herne Bay WW2 Battery  (Read 4394 times)

Offline JohnG

• Appreciation 33
Re: Herne Bay WW2 Battery
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 13:21:08 »
Mike.  The two gun emplacements were infront of the houses No 30 - 33 area.  The Battery Observation Post was in one of the houses, the one that was the BHQ. When I lookedat the area the only thing I found was the bunker in one of the gardens.  I am sure the gun houses and magazines would have been in the area of the dips you mention.
Would there be anyrhing in the local library?  There must be AP's that show the site. Please post anything you find.  JohnG

Michael McLaughlin

Re: Herne Bay WW2 Battery
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 13:12:28 »
Hi JohnG,

As I live in Herne Bay I was very interested in your post.
There are, what appear to, be two man made depressions, one of which is larger than the other, which now have young trees growing in them near the site indicated by the arrow in your photo. Could these be the site of the guns and perhaps a fire control post?
I visited the location this morning and these depressions look suitable for gun positions as they are a little further down the slope and would prevent silhouetting.

Regards
Mike

Offline JohnG

• Appreciation 33
Herne Bay WW2 Battery
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 17:44:28 »
In June 1940 an emergency coast battery was ready for action in Herne Bay.  It was armed with 2 x 6 inch Mk VII guns on naval mountings.  There is no date of their removal.
The Battery started out as 333 Battery, then in 1941 became 415 Battery and then in 1943 became 336 Battery. It started off under 11 CA GP and then 549 Coast Regiment.
The Home Guard took over the manning in March 1943.
There is no sign of the Battery now.  The Battery HQ was at No 30, troops billeted at No 32 and 33.  The BOP was in one of the upper rooms of No 30.  There is a concrete shelter still to be seen in the garden of No 33.

JohnG

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines