News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Elephant in Sandwich  (Read 4251 times)

Offline Longpockets

• Appreciation 12
Re: Elephant in Sandwich
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 21:15:34 »
I thought that one of the Roman emperors had at least one elephant brought to Britain ?

Claudius 43AD

Offline alysloper

• Appreciation 7
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 18:34:01 »
I thought that one of the Roman emperors had at least one elephant brought to Britain ?

Offline detmold

• Appreciation 6
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 06:18:09 »
What an excellent and interesting post.
Guess that solves the myth.
I do not suffer from stress but I am a carrier!!

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 218
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 21:53:47 »
There is some doubt that the elephant landed at Sandwich. It may have been shipped direct to London from France.
See http://www.finerollshenry3.org.uk/redist/pdf/fm-06-2012.pdf

"In February 1255, Henry was back in Westminster, and he ordered the Sheriff (of Kent) to go to Dover in person, with John Gouche, to arrange transport for the elephant, which was then at Wissant, on the French coast near Calais. The Sheriff was to find a ship and any other requirements for carrying the elephant; If the sailors advised that it was possible to bring the elephant by water as far as London this was to be done."10

10 "Close Rolls 1254-56. 34. The elephant was said to be at Wythsand, one of the many ways of spelling Wissant to be found in the rolls. Wissant was the usual port for the Channel crossing, but for some reason this reference has sometimes been read as meaning that the elephant was at Sandwich. (e.g. Hahn, Tower Menagerie, 22, which also puts it arrival at Michaelmas 1255.)"

Offline detmold

• Appreciation 6
Elephant in Sandwich
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 14:02:09 »
Whilst researching family in the Sandwich area I came across a peculiar story. Seems that the first ever captive Elephant in England was landed in the Port of Sandwich in 1255. The beast was a gift from the French King Louis the IX to Henry III. It was then walked to the Kings Zoo at the Tower of London report say that it was attacked by a Bull en-route, the Elephant picked it up and threw it killing it instantly.

Would be gratefull for any further information or comments to this post.

I do not suffer from stress but I am a carrier!!

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines