News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: East Kent Light Railway  (Read 16916 times)

Offline Nemo

• Appreciation 15
Re: East Kent Light Railway
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2017, 21:01:09 »
...Gladstone - alive and well at Shepherds Well!

Offline DS239

• Appreciation 11
  • "Oh, sod it; the bloody thing’s stuck again"
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2017, 17:12:20 »
EKR N0.3, the 'Ilfracombe Goods' class loco at Shepherdswell, with KE&SR 2-4-0T 'Northiam' in the background on the right..

Offline DS239

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2017, 17:06:43 »
The 01 class 0-6-0 No.100/second No.2 at Shepherdswell and at Canterbury Road, Wingham.

Offline DS239

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2017, 17:04:18 »
The Hudswell Clarke loco No.2 'Walton Park', outside the loco shed at Shepherdswell and at Eastry Town Station.

Offline DS239

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2017, 17:02:08 »
The unopened station at Richborough Port.

Offline DS239

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2017, 16:59:49 »
A couple of newspaper clippings from the 'East Kent Mercury' from 1954..

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline DS239

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2014, 15:19:24 »
(Image removed from quote.)

where Poison Cross station was once

in the foreground where Roman Road station was

in the foreground where Sandwich Road station was once

The last photo does not show the site of Sandwich Road Station, it is actually off to the left and the site of the platform is buried beneath the low embankment of the Sandwich By-Pass.

Offline DS239

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2014, 15:13:47 »

Knowlton station was on the right hand side where the bank is

where Eastry station once stood

the old line at Eastry going towards Woodnesboro

the old line at Eastry going towards Poison Cross

In the photo,Knowlton Station was on the left.

Offline DS239

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2014, 13:00:17 »
Okay, although we are drifting off topic, I'll reply here..

Think that I may have started the thread about a P class working at Shepherdswell after electrification when perhaps I should have made it clear it was whilst the work thereon was nearing completion and a number of Dover/Ashford/Ramsgate sheds allocation were already being moved away. Reckon my observation would have been in the early Spring of 1959 and at least one Dover O1 had already gone to Stewarts Lane.

Fair enough..

On a different subject, was rather saddened that this weeks series of TV documentaries by Michael Portillo on the role of railways in WW1 did not mention the importance of Richborough as the main munitions departure port, the train ferries being specifically to avoid the dangers of transhipment.

He went there in episode 19 [Sandwich to Folkestone] of Series 2 of his 'Great British Railway Journeys' TV series, he stood on Richborough New Wharf and talked to Dr Frank Andrews of the Sandwich Local History Society.

And an even further one, does anyone know the date that the Southern USA class 0-6-0 arrived for use at Chislet and later Betteshanger? Well remember the shock when waiting at Sturry crossing, gates had just gone back up but, before traffic had a chance to move, went back down and this incredible sight flashed by!

I haven't got access to my reference books at the moment, but if I recall correctly the 'USA' was at work at Betteshanger in 1963, it was withdrawn after sustaining damage in a heavy shunting accident there.
I've seen a photo of it working a train of the side-tip wagons on the waste tip.
Wouldn't Sturry have had level crossing gates at that time,as opposed to barriers that go up and down..?

Offline Mickleburgh

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2014, 16:23:23 »
Think that I may have started the thread about a P class working at Shepherdswell after electrification when perhaps I should have made it clear it was whilst the work thereon was nearing completion and a number of Dover/Ashford/Ramsgate sheds allocation were already being moved away. Reckon my observation would have been in the early Spring of 1959 and at least one Dover O1 had already gone to Stewarts Lane.

On a different subject, was rather saddened that this weeks series of TV documentaries by Michael Portillo on the role of railways in WW1 did not mention the importance of Richborough as the main munitions departure port, the train ferries being specifically to avoid the dangers of transhipment.

And an even further one, does anyone know the date that the Southern USA class 0-6-0 arrived for use at Chislet and later Betteshanger? Well remember the shock when waiting at Sturry crossing, gates had just gone back up but, before traffic had a chance to move, went back down and this incredible sight flashed by!

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2014, 20:24:01 »
Could the P be the one from Chislet on a short allocation? Although she was technically railway owned she was on long term loan to the NCB and based at Chislet until the end there. As the NCB were not above moving locos around is it possible she was sent there at short notice to work Tilmanston yard?

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline DS239

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2014, 20:10:28 »
A short Pathe clip showing Wingham Canterbury Road station in 1938:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLXfP2yETL0

Offline DS239

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2013, 17:55:35 »
I very much doubt that a 'P' class would have been seen after electrification, as the line was already being worked by 350BHP Diesel-electric shunters prior to full electrification of the East Kent lines in 1961 the ex-LC&DR line through Shepherdswell already being electrified as part of the 'Phase 1' Kent electrification in 1959.

There was only one 'O1' class left in 1961 anyway,-31065-now on the 'Bluebell' line, the others had been withdrawn before full electrification.

I have seen reference however to a 'P' class [31027?] being used on the line in 1954 [?]. I think the reference was in the old Oakwood Press book by A. R. Catt, but I'll have to double-check, as I'm working from memory here..

There is a possibility that a 'P' worked the line circa 1961, but again I'd have to do more research on the shed allocations etc.

I'll get back to this later.

What you really need is access to the relevant 'Railway Observer' magazines for that period in time.

Offline Mickleburgh

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2013, 14:51:08 »
In the latter BR days of the EKLR the section to Tilmanstone was supposedly exclusive to the O1 class of 0.6.0, of which the original company had had examples. However, on one occasion I observed one of the small `P` class tanks working at Shepherdswell, something that in more recent times has been questioned by `experts`. I think that it may have been just after electrification, a time when Dover shed lost several of its O1s, including one that finished up in London, at Stewarts Lane. Perhaps there was a shortage of the normal allocation for the line. Would welcome any thoughts on this and whether any photographic evidence exists.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines