News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: East Kent Light Railway  (Read 16852 times)

Offline Ron Stilwell

• Appreciation 13
Re: East Kent Light Railway
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2013, 12:07:47 »
Not a great picture, but this is the Shepherdswell Goods Yard.

Offline DS239

• Appreciation 11
  • "Oh, sod it; the bloody thing’s stuck again"
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2013, 19:37:24 »
A 1953 photo of the signal at the south end of Eastry Town station [looking NE]

A link to discussion of the functions of the levers in the ground frame at the station: http://www.signalbox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1271

Offline DaveTheTrain

• Appreciation 18
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2012, 12:31:54 »
Thanks Chaps, it kept me amused all last night and this morning... I must get out more.   S4, please do. 

Thanks
DTT

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2012, 10:51:57 »
Oh dear DaveTheTrain, why did you not ask me about such a site? They are affiliated to Sub Brit and I have wasted many happy hours there tracing lost lines. There are some good bits about the lost Greenwich Park branch (I reckon that has a Kent link) on one of the two good Lost Underground sites. I will PM you with them when I find them again. S4
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline LenP

• Appreciation 23
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2012, 09:10:44 »
If you've only just discovered disused stations, then you have a LOT of reading ahead of you!

Offline DaveTheTrain

• Appreciation 18
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2012, 08:59:40 »
I have just discovered this website of disused stations whilst looking for something else.  Quite a few Kent stations but I will pick EKLR as an example:

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/e/eythorne/index.shtml

DTT

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2010, 09:11:58 »
It probably looks much the same nowadays. Looking at LenP's photo has reminded me of a little incident out the "Well". We'd just run round at Snowdown and were now back at Shepherdswell, probably with 60 empty wagons. I jumped down onto the platform (near where the 08 loco is) and waved my driver on until he was clear of the dummy or ground signal (just visible in the photo). By then of course the loco was well into the tunnel when the last wagon was past the dummy.My driver could just see my hand signals when he looked back without banging his head on the tunnel wall.
The difference this time was that the string of loaded wagons, usually where they can be seen in the photo, were this time left on the siding adjacent to the main line. I'd agreed with my driver beforehand the course of action. After the dummy came off he'd give me time to walk back and hold the spring points over before he set back.The lever for these points had to be held back all the time the train was moving through the points otherwise the train would derail.So this little plan was all working nicely with my driver pushing back and the rear wagon now near the spring points.Of course, the inevitable happened and a train load of coal appeared from the EKL Railway heading for the Long Sidings. My driver couldn't see me and I couldn't let go of the points handle. Fortunately the driver of the loaded coal train saw our train setting back and rapidly reversed back round onto the EKLR. Saved in the nick of time! There was a board with "Stop do not pass without permission" around the corner on the EKLR. As can be seen this was generally  ignored. I think the lever controlling the spring points can also be seen in the photo behind the 08 loco.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2010, 12:57:43 »
The scene in LenP's photo was much the same in 1977 when I started working coal trains between the "Well" and Tilmanstone Colliery. A couple of siding names I can still remember. The Long Sidings went beside the main line (downside) towards Snowdown. This was where the empty wagons from Ashford were left. Another was the Gun Sidings. If a wagon was not fit to travel this was where we put them. I can still recall running beside a cripple wagon with a brake stick to stop it before it hit the buffer stops. My driver would have given it a quick push once it was uncoupled to get it moving. The current snowy weather brings back memories of walking up the track with the second man sanding the rails so that the driver could get traction with a loaded train. It was nice to be in the brake van with the coal stove glowing red in this weather. I understand the signalbox out the "Well" will be closed once the re-signalling is completed. In those days Shepherdswell had a station master, at least two clerks and two shunters. The booking office would be open from 0600 to 2200. I can also recall a Carriage and Wagon chap being out there. Nowadays I believe the booking office is only open part time in the mornings. At least it was about 9 years ago when I used to cover it.

Offline LenP

• Appreciation 23
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2010, 23:41:19 »

Shepherdswell. August 1973. Class 08 with colliery wagons for Timanstone.

Offline Tom Burnham

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2010, 23:27:56 »
Photo of Tilmanstone Colliery and its sidings in 1979 at

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21602076@N05/5190102357/

Regards

Tom Burnham, Staplehurst

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2010, 15:46:14 »
A train on the Tilmanstone line.
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2010, 15:43:17 »
Wingham Station.
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)

Offline LenP

• Appreciation 23
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 00:10:25 »
These photos were taken in 2007 (I think). The first shows the site of the goods yard at Wingham Canterbury Road - the station itself was directly across the road in the field to the left of the photo (nothing remains of the station) - and is the car park of the farm shop on the site. The farm shop was called The Goods Yard Farm Shop or The Station Farm Shop, something like that then but it has now been renamed as Wingham Farm Shop. Sad really, as the line fades further from memory.

The second shows the slight embankment looking towards Wingham Town. Apart from this and another slight embankment near the site of Wingham Town station I don't think there's any other remains visible on the ground of the Wingham branch.

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
    • National Three Peaks Challenge 2012, raising funds for Help for Heroes
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 19:06:02 »
Another small section of the EKR: The Eythorne to Tilmanstone Colliery branch, gradually being reclaimed by nature.

Three Peaks Challenge 2012 - raising funds for Help for Heroes
www.bmycharity.com/Islesy

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 16:22:35 »

Mixed freight/ passeneger train on Knowlton bank, outside Eastry station.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines