News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dovers Eastern Docks  (Read 17499 times)

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 29
Re: Dovers Eastern Docks
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2011, 10:57:43 »

Eastern Docks in January 1977.I took this from near East Demi Bastion.Looks like they're putting the road surface on the viaduct.

Offline Ted Ingham

• Appreciation 35
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2010, 09:55:20 »
Taken from the 22 SQN SAR flight helicopter based at Manston whilst working there in the 80's.

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 41
    • National Three Peaks Challenge 2012, raising funds for Help for Heroes
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2010, 10:02:17 »
Couple of views from September 1968.

I've been scanning a few of my parents' collection of 126 slides recently, most taken on Kodachrome using a Kodak 126 Instamatic and I've been pleasantly pleased with how well they've held up.
Three Peaks Challenge 2012 - raising funds for Help for Heroes
www.bmycharity.com/Islesy

Offline alkhamhills

• Appreciation 23
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2010, 20:12:24 »
Interior of the Customs Examination Hall, mid 1950s.

This postcard was appropriatly called "anything to declare" and I believe dated 1956. By 1961 coaches were sent down the far left, and those benches on the left moved over

Offline Ted Ingham

• Appreciation 35
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2010, 19:41:25 »
Hello Mike,
It's not the SEEFALKE this time but the HERMES.Both tugs were owned by the famous Tug Company BUGSIER of Hamburg.They were often in Dover in the 60's.The Radio Officer as you know would be glued to the many radio receivers listening for distress calls from ships in the Dover Strait.
The Hermes was built in 1956 and was later sold overseas.Unfortunately she sank off the Madagasca coast.

The SEEFALKE was built in 1924 and was
famous for many daring rescues she made out in the Atlantic. She was likened to our own famous resuce tug  TURMOIL of "FLYING ENTERPRIZE" fame.

She was eventually laid up in 1969 and was purchased by the German National Maritime Museum at Bremerhaven where you can now go onboard.The Museum is superb and there is a very large model of the barque "PREUSSEN" in the entrance.

Regards,
Ted

Offline helcion

• Appreciation 30
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2010, 12:48:43 »
Re Ted's Camber photo    -

Note the salvage tug, probably the SEEFALKE, waiting on the Eastern Arm for a customer.

Cheers

Mike J.

Offline Ted Ingham

• Appreciation 35
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2010, 11:03:47 »
A view of the the original berths with the Lord Warden and Maid of Kent alongside.How I wish now that I had climbed further up the slopes and photographed Langdon and Fan Bay Batteries.

DoverDan

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2010, 18:20:38 »
Interior of the Customs Examination Hall, mid 1950s.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 29
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2010, 18:04:43 »
I can remember those various stages you mention as i used Chalky Lane very frequently.I can even recall the earlier days of the rubbish tip.Your trucks helped widen that lane in places when squeezing by another vehicle.They didn't worry too much about the suitability of roads etc when opening such sites back then but it got the dock expansion built.

delboy

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2010, 14:25:16 »
when I started there towerwill the Council tip was directly above the Danes and Mears started removing chalk above their site for phase one of the ED improvements.For phase two of the ED improvements Mears moved above that excavation to the top one and the council used No. one for rubbish infill when their original site was full then moved up to two when Mears finished,delboy. ps first picture I,ve ever seen of the excavations.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 29
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2010, 08:35:21 »

Where delboy and his workmates got the chalk from for the ED infill and the town dumped it's rubbish(taken in 1973).It was not unknown for tipper truck and dustcart to meet on The Old Charlton Road.The result of one such meeting was a large piece of cemetery fencing being missing for years afterwards.Near to the left hand side of this pit a tunnel was briefly uncovered which i had a look at before it was covered again.I worked on the farm with land next to this pit.

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 339
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2010, 03:55:53 »
Postally used 1974. Why are there lorries parked all along the Eastern Arm?

Maybe the French were on strike/blockading Calais and it's an early form of Operation Stack? :)
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

LenP

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2010, 22:16:28 »
And some more!

Postally used 1973, bit different nowadays.

Early 1970's.

Postally used 1974. Why are there lorries parked all along the Eastern Arm?

Undated.

LenP

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2010, 21:59:27 »
Some more pre 1965 Eastern Docks postcards:

Numbered L537. Postally used 1956. What are the people doing on the railway lines at the bottom?

Numbered L541 so of a similar date.

Postally used 1963.

Undated.

DoverDan

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2010, 17:18:22 »

Would that be "Mary" from elms vale ?

No im afraid not Handyman. Her name is Collette McCann from Guston, but she might have still been living in Snargate st when she started.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines