News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dovers Eastern Docks  (Read 18236 times)

delboy

Re: Dovers Eastern Docks
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2010, 14:03:13 »
Delboy, that card of yours in #2 shows the beginnings of land reclamation for number 4 berth. It was opened in 1966 and there's a pic in 'Ferries of Dover' by John Hendy dated 1965 which shows the work more advanced. So, your card must be 1964/65.

yes ,thats when I worked there, you can see 4 of the lorries on the site. We had to stop for awhile as we got ahead of the piling gang with the chalk infill. They then reduced us to 2x8 hour shifts instead of 2x12 hour shifts. delboy

handyman

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 13:49:12 »
Inside the Merry Dolphin restaurant where my Grandmother worked for many years up untill (i think) the 1980s.

Would that be "Mary" from elms vale ?

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 29
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 07:27:27 »
We had to take stores onto the Autocarrier Alastair.Interesting ship and my brother and me were given a free trip to Calais on it.We used to go in and out of the E.D. unstopped most of the time too.I had to go to Southampton now and again with stuff for Thorensens.As Islesy's photo shows they joined forces eventually.Anyone remember what years the sand from the Goodwins(?)was used for infill at the ED?

DoverDan

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 22:08:10 »
A couple more photos both from the early 1960s.
Inside the Merry Dolphin restaurant where my Grandmother worked for many years up untill (i think) the 1980s.

The Car Ferry Terminal control room fitted with something called Closed Circuit TV. It'll never catch on! :)

LenP

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 20:56:34 »
Delboy, that card of yours in #2 shows the beginnings of land reclamation for number 4 berth. It was opened in 1966 and there's a pic in 'Ferries of Dover' by John Hendy dated 1965 which shows the work more advanced. So, your card must be 1964/65.

delboy

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 19:59:47 »
Dovers eastern docks have had continuous building and change over the years. (Unlike poor Dover town center)  Wasn't the restaurant the "Merry Dolphin" ? I remember buying what we called "rat pie" when I was working in Townsends freight office.

thank you handyman, I was trying to remember what it was called and for some reason Blue Channel kept sticking in my mind, delboy

Offline Alastair

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 16:08:07 »
Funny how the memory plays tricks. I worked for Townsend in 63 and recall nothing there except the Parker Pen factory at the entrance and a Customs Shed diagonally opposite the main ferry dock. When I changed ships (Autocarrier) and left from the Eastern Arm there was nothing at all between the entrance and the ship. Empty tarmac (or conctrete) all the way. Open invitation for anyone to get what they liked off the ship. Of course, being a law-abiding crew, we didn't.
Alastair

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 41
    • National Three Peaks Challenge 2012, raising funds for Help for Heroes
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 13:28:19 »
1977 view, with the Submarine Pens just in view as well.

Three Peaks Challenge 2012 - raising funds for Help for Heroes
www.bmycharity.com/Islesy

handyman

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 12:12:35 »
Dovers eastern docks have had continuous building and change over the years. (Unlike poor Dover town center)  Wasn't the restaurant the "Merry Dolphin" ? I remember buying what we called "rat pie" when I was working in Townsends freight office.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 29
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 11:29:16 »
Yes delboy i had to climb out of the way on Chalky Lane when your big orange trucks came down it!I was working up Fergies Farm from 1966/1968 so i suppose your postcard is around those years.Can't recall when the chalk removal started and finished from the pit up Chalky Lane though.

delboy

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 09:56:42 »
very nice pictures DoverDan, I remember both of these . I worked for Mears when they built the new berths outside the Blue Channel? restuarant and booking hall. I went out with one of the girls that worked in the filling station for a while. I drove one of the large orange AEC dump trucks bringing chalk infill down from Old Charlton Lane. If I remember correctly the white moveable lane fencing bases were old railway "chairs"  that the DHB used with uprights fixed in them and the DHB lads could make them into access lanes or into the zigzag lane we had to use. Here is a scan of a p/card that shows the site.delboy

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 29
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 09:44:40 »
More nice photos DoverDan.Brings back memories of the late 1960's too as the docks were still much the same then.We took ships stores down to Townsend Car Ferries "Free Enterprise 1" from their Dour Street stores.That ship didn't have bow doors which caused a lot of shunting about.The van at the petrol station looks rather like an old Bedford i owned about 10 years later.

DoverDan

Dovers Eastern Docks
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 23:20:05 »
General view from the early 1960s.

Returning holiday makers filling up at the old Esso station before the drive home.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines