News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Chatham Tech/Chatham Grammar School For Boys  (Read 38296 times)

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
Re: Chatham Tech/Chatham Grammar School For Boys
« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2018, 13:53:24 »
I was there at this time so would probably have been present at this event. However, I can't recognize anyone apart from good old Jack "The Ripper" Cheetham standing at the front.

Offline Lutonman

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2018, 16:48:31 »
I have a prize giving picture it is circa 1969

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2018, 14:32:12 »
The tuck shop and bank seem to have gone down the memory hole as far as I'm concerned, I do remember the walk down to St Johns though (unless you were Catholic). Also going to the Central Hall for the prize giving.

Offline Lutonman

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #71 on: June 07, 2018, 10:45:41 »
Does anyone remember the walk from Holcombe down to St Johns for the end of year service at the Church?

The only tuck shop I remember was in the new building entrance and that later was also used for the school bank.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2018, 22:18:28 »
Didn't keep my cap but I've still got my scarf!

Offline shoot999

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2018, 22:12:12 »
Looking at the dates that some attended I can only assume that my intake slipped through some of the stricter uniform requirements. I was there from 62 to 66, and by 63 most pupils were in  long trousers with a few of us wearing Beatle boots and sporting longer hair. The younger ones had to see Jack Cheetham  once a week for a chat about our dress sense; but the only punishment I can recall was for those with longer hair who were made to hacksaw old metal cinema seats instead of  being allowed in the  metalwork class. I quiet enjoyed doing that, so it wasn't a problem for me.  I think the school realised by 64 that they were fighting a losing battle, and I can't recall any issues with uniform after that.
I left in the summer of 66 and we were still using the Luton annexe at that time.

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 29
« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2018, 20:26:07 »
Lutonman, the Tuck Shop was held in the canteen, trays of cream buns were brought in by a baker, I believe Bournes, and sold at 6d. each by the cooks from the school kitchen. Only one bun per boy but there was never enough to go round so you had to be quick. School dinners were cooked on site.
Yes short trousers up to third year, longs thereafter but caps up to the fifth. Prefects caps were different in that they had light blue bands around the cap whereas the normal cap had light blue quarters. I've still got mine! 
A couple of more teachers names have come to mind:-
Mr McWillie (German), he retired after my first year, Mr Letchford (Physics), "Batman" Rowley (Music). Mr Rowley lived lived somewhere near the junction of Magpie Hall Rd. & The Ridgeway and rode a bike to school. He went home to dinner on it but kept on his gown which flowed out behind him giving an impression of BatMan!
Naughty boys were awarded lines or detentions, i.e.kept back after school one hour. Three detentions in one term was rewarded by three strokes of the cane ably applied by Jack Cheetham.
The groundsman lived on site in the house at the bottom of the Maidstone Rd. drive. Hed had a marvellous dark green pre war Morris car which found good use ferrying injured rugby players to St. Barts when injured. Me included.

Offline Lutonman

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2018, 19:09:23 »
Additional names in the 60's were
Chopper Crease  (Geography), Paul Amos (English), Alan Spencer (Woodwork), Barry Rogers (Maths), ? Jones (a welsh man teaching German). I was there when we closed down the school at the Arches and moved up to the new building at Holcombe. That would have been around 1966/7. Jim Rouncefield took over from Pop Sermon the term after I left 1969, got to know him a bit later when both my sons went to the school and I did some hockey umpiring for Barry Rogers who I got to know quite well along with Jack Cheetham and Alan Spencer playing hockey for the old boys.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2018, 18:30:30 »
mikeb - a lot of those teachers were still there when I attended. By then the teacher's gowns had been dispensed with, but most of the other disciplines were still very much present and enforced. I seem to remember that short trousers and caps were the order of the day until you got into the forth form. You were then in the "upper" school so you were allowed to wear long trousers and could get rid of the cap. The last day of term in the 3rd year saw a lot of ritual cap destruction! I can't ever remember a tuck shop though - where was this sited?

Offline jackwakerly

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2018, 12:00:29 »
Good afternoon,

Thank you for so many speedy replies - this is opening our eyes as a Captain's Team to the history of our school; especially not knowing there was 3 sites.
Many of our long term teachers have left or retired. Some of the long term teachers who left are:
Mrs McMonies - German
Mrs Williamson - Sciences and Maths ( Still Here)
Dr North - Physics
Mr Thomas - Biology
Mr Francis - Biology

We were wondering if any have taught yourselves?

We will also reply to people soon, after doing some more research within school. Here's a link to the updated Wikipedia Page. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chatham_Grammar_School_for_Boys

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 29
« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2018, 20:42:30 »
I was at "The Tech" 1954/5-1960, the first intake of 11+ at the school. For the first year at least,there were three establishments - Holcombe, Luton Arches and the old St. Pauls school off New Road, Jenkins Dale. We had to commute, independently, between these three centres by walking, bussing or cycling during the dinner "hour".
Teachers I recall:- "Pop" Surman (Head), Lionel Brading (deputy head / head of upper school / careers master) "Jack" Cheetham (head of lower school), "Joe" Ring (English), Bill Killen (History), "Bomber" Blythe (English & Geography), "Paddy" O'hara (Woodwork), "Spike" Jones  (Technical Drawing), "Chic" Gosling (Art), "Hairy Knees" Lees (German), Ralph Tidswell (Metal Work), "Wally" Stevens, followed by "Harry" Curtiss (Gym & Games). There were more but memory fades. The teachers wore gowns and we had to stand when they entered the class and wrre told when to sit, & doff our caps if we passed them in the street. We did not have lockers nor permanent desks so we had to carry all our gear for the day with us, text / exercise books, sports kit etc. We did have cloak rooms though which were not "safe".
There was a "tuck shop" (cream buns) for the morning break.
Not always "happy" days looking back, but certainly "good" days and I'm very glad I went there.

Offline Lutonman

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2018, 16:40:29 »
Hello jackwakerly, you will find some old boys of the former Chatham Tech and Grammar school on the forum. I left in 1969 so lets find out if we can who left earlier than that, I know there are a few. Then we can get the history lesson going for you. I don't know if any of the existing staff have been around long enough to have taught forum members but let's see.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2018, 12:57:10 »

"very interested of the rich history our school". Absolutely disgraceful!

Write out 100 times "I must learn to check my grammar before posting" and report to me in the morning.

Offline jackwakerly

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2018, 11:07:53 »
Good Morning,

I am currently Head Prefect at Holcombe Grammar, for 2018. Reading this forum made me and the Head Boy very interested of the rich history our school. This has brought new information to us looking at some teachers who have taught us and yourself. We would love to hear about your experiences and ex-teachers and ex-pupils.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2016, 13:56:23 »
I was in conversation with some chap the other week and the subject of school days came up. It turned out he was the son of Mr Delay, German teacher at Chatham Tech! Mr Delay retired in 1998 apparently, so was there for a long time.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines