News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Teaching at the Sheerness Tech 1962-1970  (Read 63044 times)

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 86
    • SHEERNESS/SHEPPEY/PENNEY
Re: Teaching at the Sheerness Tech 1962-1970
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2011, 02:41:42 »
P.S. Chillfiltered there is a reunion  of the Tech boys every year run by Bob Fulton ,Do you want the details ?
The solution to every problem is a.) time , or  b.) another problem.

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 86
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2011, 02:38:00 »
The Honours Board is/was? in the Gatehose musuem ,the last time I saw it ,the boards were a little exposed to the weather. I was on the Tech trips to Germany and Switzerland/Italy .All the boys were very well behaved  especially compared with some of the children from other schools at the same hotel.
In Germany  I said I was worried should we lose one boy and go back home with one short and a master from another school said that he was worried in case he went back with one too many !!!!!!!!
One lad picked up a small present he wanted for his mum and as the stall holder was not there he tried to find him BUT he was accused of stealing it and we took a whole evening explaining to the Police that he was not trying to steal it .The hotelier gave us a free glass of wine  on our first evening and the following evening  we bought a bottle of that wine but the price he charged , !!!!!!!!!!!

chillfiltered

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 15:01:36 »
This has certainly brought back some memories. I was at the school from 1960 to 1965. I remember most of the teachers you are talking about. Also the Photography Club and the Astronomy Club. In fact the love of both has never left me. Was any one on the school trip to Rome and Switzerland (I think it was 1962) and remember the things we got up to. I was such a shame when the old building was demolished. Then there were the snowball fights with the Central School and Delemark Road (went here as well). I have been semi retire now for a few years and live in Milton Keynes but I still come back to the Island when I can, but haven't been back for a few years. Has anyone thought about a reunion or the like. By the way, does anyone know what happened to the honour boards when the school was demolished?

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 86
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 12:27:38 »
When I was a lad !! " Joe Duddle " as we all knew him  would tap the desk with his forefinger while telling us off and we would be watching the chalk marks his finger made  .He was a lovely man really .Joe played the organ in the "Methodist Church " his wife also  was a keen member,she died shortly after Joe retired ,
Their son went to Univerity but was also diabetic and lost his sight and therefore had to leave .He also died about this time .
I took over Joe's job at the Tech , teaching Mathematics and Mechanics and he was a great help to me , if I had a difficult problem he could always sort it out for me

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 09:53:44 »
Do any ex-Sheerness Tech. boys remember Mr. Duddle? I didn`t know him but heard about him from my next door neighbour who was a pupil in the 50s and did impressions of Mr. D. which sounded very much like the comedian of many years ago, Rob Wilton. I think that he taught Maths and/or Physics and his favourite expression, so I am told, was "now see here, lad". I was at school with his son, whose christian name escapes me (it was all surnames in my school), who reckoned that he could hypnotise us, and I also met Mrs. Duddle. All members of the Methodist Church, I believe.

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 86
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 19:39:16 »
I was just about to post this last evening when the site  went down for repairs ,so I lost it .
I have searched but  was unable to find it ,so here goes.
Re Terry Spice the PE teacher who joined the Tech teaching staff circa 1965 ish.
I was the assistant head of the Evening Institute on the Island and I had a phone call from the lady who had a Ladies Keep Fit class that evening but was unable to take the class  and with only two hours before the class started .I phoned around but nobody was available and then THINKS,!!! WHAT ABOUT TERRY ,  this was in the days before equality of sexes ,health d safety  etc, etc  , I contacted Terry who was very ,very apprehensive but he said he would give it a try . I explained what was involved ,these young girls and ladies would at times be laying on the floor in their skimpy  leotards  with arm and legs in various  positions .When the class arrived the ladies looked very hard at Terry ,a very young teacher on his first teaching post, but said they would try it out .I waited outside of the room  in case of trouble but all went well.,they all enjoyed it and next year we advertised it as Terry SPICE with the Ladies Keep FIT .we had a full class.Terry's wife Mandy thought that it was a good idea.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 13:40:01 »
With reference to the photo of the school.
  The upstairs left hand side room was the library and the L.H.S. downstairs room was Jim Hutleys geography room.
  The upstairs right hand side was my form room for a number of years and was used to teach both history and English ,the lower room was I think used mainly by the sixth form.Next door to this room was Barnets room.The front doors were never used by pupils or anybody much at all and opened straight onto the main hall and assembly room.The school honours boards were either side of the door and to one side was also the tubular bell set used to ring out lesson changes and breaks.
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline busyglen

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 69
    • Westminster Village
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 19:39:29 »

Found a photo of the Technical School.

A smile is a curve that straightens things out.

Mick

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 23:13:04 »
Please consider this post not as a negative opinion, but more as a social comment of the time.
Sadly, I do not remember my years at Sheerness Tech with such, or indeed any affection at all. As a pupil in the X or B band (the less able of the groups), I remember brutality towards pupils. I was caned for achieving less than 40% in one of my Physics homeworks. I actually couldn't do it. I never again achieved less than 40% - I had a friend in the higher group do it for me from then on. I loved history. Once I went into the room before the lesson began and was caught having started my work. I was caned again. One never put a pencil behind an ear in geography. Jim Hutley would wack pupils across the side of the head, squashing your ear against the pencil. It hurt like hell. Sideboards as facial hair - not a good idea. These would be grasped and twisted.
I currently teach. Students are horrified when I recount those days. Why did we put up with it? Because we were frightened. Would we tell our mums? Never. I remember at least on of the Tiltman brothers dying from TB.
Back to the lighter memories. You didn't get a day off school because it was cold or snowing. But you suffered a trial by snowball whenever you entered the 'alley' between the school building and the playground. Jonathan Fryer was at school at the time, commonly known and called 'Chips.'

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 86
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 23:21:26 »
Hello Conran,
Very good photo I could not recognise anyone there . I spoke to Brian Palmer yesterday for an hour or two about old times .I see him a lot these days ,we always play cards every Fiday from about 10.30 to 4 pm  taking it in turns to supply the meal and until recently 3/4  of us would go across to France once a month ,playing cards in The Club Class and then trying to  find a different restuarant for a lovely meal .I did this for about 12 years ( even the Captains recognised us ,and the stewards certainly did !!)
I will show Brian the photo to see if he can spot anyone !

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 23:33:57 »
Regarding the 9th Sheppey Scouts{Tech School troop]here is the only photo I have it's taken on the old school playing field on the occasion of an exchange visit with a Dutch troop in either 68 or 69 I don't recognise anybody as such although I think the scout to the right maybe Dave Harris,I don't even recognise myself.
The embankment behind is the canal.

To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 21:38:00 »
Hello CDP, These names on your post I remember, but not from being  at the Tech. School.

When I was at Sir Thomas Cheney Middle School, Mr. Johnathan Fryer was teaching french, I also remember he had or maybe still has something to do with Minster Gatehouse.

Owen Ryder was a maths teacher at the same school, I remember him, he also tought maths at the Tech school, one of his pupils i've been told was Rod Hull.

I think that Jim Hutley became head of te Sixth Form at the Sheppey School. I remember a Mr. Hutley there when I was in the sixth form, cannot remember his first name, mind you, there cannot be too many people by the name of Hutley.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 11:59:13 »
I was a pupil at the Tech from from 63 to 69 and remember most of the teachers well.Jim Hutley was deputy head and taught geography,Les Bryant was woodwork,Algy taught music and art,John[Monkey]Bertram was P.E.[later replaced by a young chap called Terry Spice who also became involved with the scouts],Owen[Jack]Ryder was tech drawing,what Brian Palmer taught I can't remember but he was a damn fine scout leader,Jake[Biffo]Jackson taught history and was also Very involved in the scouts.I also remember a Mr Beatty who taught English.The incident on the Devils Dyke brought back memories as I was one of the lads involved ,it was the Duke of Edinborugh silver award 50 mile hike over 3 days with 2 nights under canvas.I passed the award but never actually received it.I went on 2 summer camps with the scouts one to the New Forest and one to North Wales where we climbed Tryfan as well as completing the Snowdon Horseshoe.I became a patrol leader of the panther patrol,I remember the troop leader was a lovely chap by the name of Albert Port.
I was one of 2 pupils who took elementary surveying O level{the other I believe was Bob Higgins} and remember the brass theodolite,we used it to find how far off shore the Richard Montgomery was.I must admit to playing truant rather a lot and spending to much time in the Seaview cafe and I think I only ever did the dread cross country run up to the end if the 2nd year.One perk of being a scout was being sent up to the sports field most Monday mornings to bring back the the crockery and empty drinks containers left over from the Saturday match[football or cricket]and sweep the changing room out,this could be spun out most of the morning.
  I remember being part of a group of scouts who canoed round the Island and rescuing the safety boat when it ran aground of off Leysdown and landing on Dead Mans Island also the tremendous currents of off Garrison point certainly not one for the faint hearted.

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 86
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 19:46:17 »
When I started teaching in 1962 I was told that the childens reports must be written with fountain pens and not biros which we all used during the day.
When I queried this with the  rather elderly deputy head his reply was " When I started teaching we were told that we had to write the childrens reports using quill pens and not those new fangled biros "

Times change !!!!!!

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 86
Teaching at the Sheerness Tech 1962-1970
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 09:42:15 »
TEACHING AT THE 'TECH'.
(1962 TO 1970)

While  employed as  a Work Study Engineer  at Pilkington Brothers at Queenborough for five years and teaching Technical Drawing and Mathematics  in the Evening Classes at the Tech  the Headmaster  Mr.Barnet came into my classroom to ask me if I was interested in becoming a full time teacher. There was a vacancy and the Head thought I would enjoy full time teaching
After discussing this with my wife and thinking very hard about this for a week or two I agreed .
 The Head  said that he would advertise   in the Times Educational Supplement and I was to apply. Two weeks later he came into my classroom very disappointed and said "You did not apply then?"
I replied that  I didn't see the advert so he grabbed my arm ,took me to his office ,sat me in his chair opened up the paper at the advert which said ?"Teacher wanted at Sheerness  Technical School with experience of Bridge Building, Aeronautical  Engineering and Shipbuilding on the basic teaching salary scale" I laughed and said I can't do any of those? he laughed and said probably no one else can  either . Needless to say I was the only applicant to apply and I was appointed.

The other Teachers were Mr.Kitcatt ,  Jim Hutley ,  Charles Duddle , Bill Ralph ,Tony Cleneghan , Les Bryant , Alan Sayer , Chris Sears , L.G. (Algy) Welland , Arthur Castle , John Mullett , Trevor Costain , John Bertram , Owen Ryder , Brian Palmer  (1year later), John Thompson , L .Lisgarden , and Jake Jackson.
Very soon I was supervising  various after-school  activities , the Stamp Club ,the Coin Club, the Astronmy Club  and the Photograhic Club (I was the unofficial photographer  for the Engineers on the P & O  liners at our parties) and the Astromony Club. Mr Barnett was very pleased  with the lads who would always put on a very good show at Parents evening.

Brian Palmer was in charge of the Scouts and one day he asked me to help with the Duke of Edinburgh's Award Scheme he was running over the weekend .It was at Brighton and Brian would give the team the co-ordinates in the morning, they were  to hike and  meet us (always near a pub !) early  in  the evening where we would be waiting after eating a very sumptuous Pub  meal . We would also have random spot checks on them during the day . They would cook all  their food and we had to test and sample this  food also  but our meal with them  was always cooked under  very  strict supervision of course . One of the days we  arranged a meet at the top of Devils Dyke and when we arrived at the top we heard very loud music and saw this fairground  hurdy gurdy with ladies in  very highly coloured  Victorian dresses on the horses going round and round and up and down  it was a very unexpected and very pretty sight ,-we were in the middle of the filming of 'Oh! What a lovely war' we watched this for some time and then over the brow of the hill appeared our boys. The director shouted out "Stop filming" and they all tried to move the boys out of range of the cameras ,but as we waved to the boys to move out the way ,they thought we were waving and so just waved back and continued walking. I saw the film later but our boys had been edited out .(large grin!)

I was  originally employed to teach Metalwork ,Woodwork and Technical Drawing and the only compulsory subject for all teachers- Religious  Knowledge- but after one year I  was moved to the Mathematics Department. When Mr. Barnett joined the school he had instructed the Deputy Head to enter all the 'A' form and some of the 'B' form ,a total of 40 to 50 boys for the 'O' level examinations instead of the usual ten or so each year just from the  'A'  class which meant a lot of extra work for all the teachers and a lot of moans and groans  from them . The previous Head - he had been  a very good head - (as he seldom left his office to visit the classrooms or  the teachers  ) but over the years eventually all the staff worked with Mr. Barnett  and the results were very good.  A  goodly number of Sittingbourne parents sent their children to the Tech. and we sent a lot of boys to University ,many obtaining their Doctrate . I always remember   Keith Prettyjohn whose father was a local dustman and how proud he was when his son went to Imperial College and became Doctor of Science., Keith was  also was an amateur radio enthusiast- another little class I started. I used his computer work as an example of what could be done by schools  when I travelled the University Circuit with Mr.Esterson  the Head of Computing at Medway College .he would talk to audiences about what his College had to offer to Schools ,and I would  talk and show how the Kent Schools could and did  use the service.

Many old pupils still remember the rivalry between Borden Grammar School (B.G.S. or Baby Girls School as we knew it  ) and the Tech , especially at Queenborough Railway Station when the two trains were side by side for a few minutes .War was declared and hats, homework and satchels  were used as weapons against the other school leaning out of the carriage windows ,Homework  and hats were  often lost on the railway tracks,  but it was used as an acceptable excuse by most of the teachers.

When the Island Schools were going comprehensive in 1970 I suggested to Mr.Barnett  in 1969  that the sixth form  girls from the Girls Tech should join us for their A level mathematics to enable me to coordinate their studies and to enable me to teach them together as  they would  soon be in the same class at Sheppey Comprehensive  Mr. Barnett spluttered, and he could splutter!!  and said NO !!. he later relented , thinking of the girls education,  but he  said he did not want  that Mrs. Greystone the girls  Headmistress anywhere near his school (they did not appreciate each others company) but I could teach them in a section of the old Broadway School which was the Tech's annexe. After the initial showing off and giggles they all settled down very well and so that  when we started at the Comprehensive  school in mixed classes there were no embarrassing moments as they were all friends together and  helping each other with their homework.

Mr.Barnett saw me one day and asked if I would take young Shoesmith under my wing and teach him Astronomy to O level , when I queried this as  I didn't  know any Astronomy the Headmaster said "You were in the Merchant Service ,weren't you" so who could refuse . I thought  perhaps other lads might be interested and we formed a little class of ten after school.
I kept one or two lessons in front of the boys who worked very hard and therefore most passed the O level examination .We had a magazine ,in colour, which we all contributed to  and the schools office would print the pages for us . Shoesmith's  father often took him to America to see the space craft take off  etc and later he had a  weekly spot on Radio Kent were he was very proud of talking about spaceflight and the planets etc.
I also took a small after school class for Navigation keeping one lesson ahead of the lads. ( Well ,you were in the Merchant Service  weren't you  - I was an Engineer  on the liners - same thing  said the  Head .)

Brian Martin and Jonathan Fryer were members of the Stamp club and were very enthusiastic .They both joined the Postmark Club of Great Britain ,a very select  group of stamp collectors of a  limited number and they  formed their own Company selling Postmarks , I was one of the Directors  just to fill up the letter head on their notepaper and in  name only , I was not involved in the running of the Company .
One evening I introduced these two  16 year old lads to  the Sittingbourne Philatelic Society much to the amazement of two of the  members who had actually dealt with the lad's Company and purchased some of their Postmarks. They were amazed that they had  been dealing with school boys.
Mr.Alfred T  Sears the Chairman of the Governers  was always pleased to help the clubs ,always  giving us stamps and coins to share out  and he was a regular attender to our meetings after school and almost  every Parents Evening he would help with the setting up of the classroom exhibitions.
The boys really appreciated  his interest ,he was like a dad to them all.

The  photographic dark room was a little room built in a corner of a classroom.  I asked one of the lads to write to Kodak and to Ilfords and  from them we had a continuous supply of free photographic paper and chemicals  which we tested   for them .These  Companies  were very helpful to the school.
The camera club was a great success and at least   one boy took it up professionally
Brian Palmer , Les Bryant and company built a sailing dingy and all of the school turned out to watch the launch  on the sea by the Sea View Hotel  with the Headmaster Mr.Barnett conducting the school band as it played 'For those in peril on the sea' (Was that the tune played as the Titanic went down  we all asked ourselves ???)
When the Tech  finally closed ,( and we tried so hard to keep it open ) we  suggested that it be converted into a Museum for  Sheppey, or  a Teachers Training Centre, or  a yachting centre for Kent Teachers ,  or a 6th form college, or a centre for disadvantaged children , and many other ideas were suggested but those on high were intent on attempting to removing it from the memory of the Sheppey people.

AND SO IT WAS !!!!!!

I collected all the text books in the school and sent them to the dump . I dismantled the apparatus in the 6th form room ,the old Gas Engine ,the Tensile Testing machine and all the other bits and  pieces and packed  them up and sent them to various other Technical Colleges.
I gave the Theodilite to one of the teachers , a very heavy Victorian brass instrument  in a large ornamental box  , a real old piece of art. (I also taught a few classes fundamental surveying , I was in the  Merchant Service you know !!)
 I had all the Evening Class records , these were useful when people would write to the new school asking for confirmation of certificates received and attendance records of years ago.
I sent all the photographic apparatus to Danley School rather than throw it away as  was suggested .
I had a letter from Australia from the man who carved those lovely Invicta horses  on each side of the inside doors .He had heard about the shameful treatment of his old school  and wanted at least a photo of the carved  horses and he was very pleased to receive full size photos  of them from our Photographic club.  .He wrote and said tears came in his eyes as he looked at the carvings.
Many pieces of  the Old Tech were salvaged by old tech boys ,a brick here, a gate there , a chair here, a desk there, some old books before they reached the dump. etc.  The honours board was saved and is now in Sheppey Gatehouse.
During the  year one  of the chores of the teaching staff was  to help the sports master on Saturdays by sharing  his workload and taking charge of two sports fixtures  during the year.
During the summer cricket season we would  have to umpire ( or is it referee ?!!) a cricket match and as I had little knowledge of  the silly game I would always opt to cover two two football matches.This meant taking the Tech  teams to the away games.
I made a quick study of the past weather and picked the 1st an d 3rd week in February as  it nearly always snowed on those dates and the so my matches were always cancelled.

(One day surely  they must bring back a Tech school and its ethos.)

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines