News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Teaching at the Sheerness Tech 1962-1970  (Read 98843 times)

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 87
    • SHEERNESS/SHEPPEY/PENNEY
Re: Teaching at the Sheerness Tech 1962-1970
« Reply #105 on: August 16, 2014, 12:24:49 »
Have you any better photos of me please <BG>
At morning assemblies that piano was played by Mr. (Bill) Ralph and sometimes by the Head, Mr. Barnett.
Derek Gallagher was also in the School Band and, when he left school, was a founder member of The Kent Pollce Band. I was with Derek last month talking over old times and he said that his son was the founder of a childrens TV program now being shown.
The solution to every problem is a.) time , or  b.) another problem.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #104 on: August 16, 2014, 09:53:40 »
That's great Timjen, please post more, the one with the band is wonderful. I remember that stage and the door to the left leading to the cloakroom and the alley at the back of the school. What I don't remember strangely enough is the school having a band, I do remember a piano to the right of the stage....but who played it?
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline Timjen

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #103 on: August 15, 2014, 23:42:02 »
While having a bit of tidy up, I came across some old photographs taken in the last few days before the Tech closed.

This first one may bring back some memories for a certain CDP. Sorry about the quality, but the film became fogged many years ago.
Pictured are Dave (Tatty Goggles) Burnett and Colin Brooks,with CDP in full flow.

The second shot shows the last School Band. Back row are: Mark Reader, John Moss, Terry (Rusty) Purvis and Tim Oxley.Front row: No idea, Paul? Bellotti ?, ?? King, Ian Bethune, Steve Kavanagh.

If these are of interest, I'll dig some more out.

salty_pete

« Reply #102 on: April 10, 2014, 09:53:23 »
I came across this site during a whimsical 1/2 hr searching Google for my old school. I then regressed into an orgy of nostalgia, bringing up memories from long ago. I was a pupil there from '62 to '69 and have fond memories. I was one of the few who took the train from Kemsley, living in Milton Regis, and usually spent the trip finishing off (or doing) homework, or copying from Ray Webster (I seem to remember his nickname was Tom, I've no idea why) from Iwade. getting the earlier train (that came down from London) in the morning allowed us time to buy fresh hot scones from the bakers in the High Street or walk along the sea front to school, sticking lolly sticks in the telescopes instead of 3d. We also got taken to the shore one day to watch the last barge race down the Thames, plus walking on the sea ice far from shore during that 62-63 winter. I have a particular memory of Jack Ryder using the statistics from the West Indian bowlers Wes Hall & Charlie Griffiths to add relevance to our arithmetic lessons. There was one occasion where a classmate was seriously disrupting the lesson and Jack got him to stand by the blackboard, he was still playing the fool until Jack delivered a right hander to his solar plexus and he collapsed to the floor winded. Obviously not allowed today, but funnily enough no one EVER messed around in Jack's class again. Jack also played the piano in the assembly for the 1st and 2nd years, often hitting two keys at the same time because his fingers were so broad.
The cross country runs to Minster Cliffs and back were an ordeal but one day we were told to run from the school to the playing fields and back along the sea front, the teacher going by road. Soon after we started we found a dead porpoise on the shoreline and three of us thought it would be a jolly wheeze to show teacher. We soon realised it was a bit too heavy to carry all that way. There was a small amusement arcade with an access ramp not too far away and on the ramp was a scooter with a sidecar. I just wish I could have seen the owners face when he came back to find a dead porpoise in the sidecar. I think those horrible winters on the playing fields stood me in good stead when later in the 70's I worked on pipelines in the north of England and Northern Scotland, then 10 years offshore on North Sea platforms was a doddle after that.
One last reverie was from a TD lesson that lasted all afternoon. But a few of us had arranged to meet some girls from the tech in the swimming pool. I understand that the teacher (I can't remember which one) hadn't noticed we didn't come back from the afternoon break until staring out of the window towards the pool he saw that 4 of his class were swimming there instead of in his class.
I took an apprenticeship with a local firm that sent me to day release at Medway Tech College for an ONC. It was there I realised how good the education was I got at Sheerness Tech. The first year was basically revision I'd already covered all the Maths and Applied Maths and the second year too. I ended up with an ONC in Mechanical Engineering with distinctions in all subjects, mainly thanks to Sheerness Tech. I then got accepted to Brighton Polytechnic for a degree course, but succumbed to the wine, women and song (I'm easily distracted) of the town and left after a year. But what a school Sheerness Tech was !
Peter Usher

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #101 on: February 08, 2014, 10:17:22 »
I started there in 1963 and it was definitely Sheerness Technical High School for Boys then.
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Barry 5X

« Reply #100 on: February 07, 2014, 14:18:18 »
Time for Clarifications

Reply #95 queried if a teacher could have been Hobday rather than Les "Buller" Bryant

In reply #46 CDP  stated that Teacher No. 5 was Buller - thus I annotated the photo (introduced at reply #44) accordingly.  From CDP's recent reply on the 5th February 2014 it is clear that he knew Buller well.  So I must assume that the annotated photograph is correct.

Can this be confirmed

Has anyone any clues on Teacher No. 2?

Finally, with regards to the use of the term "High" in Technical High School.  As stated in this thread - the tech was simply the Technical school in the 1960 school photograph.  If the term "High" had been introduced then it was between 1961 (when I left) until the school was closed.  There are members on this thread who were there as teachers and pupils during this period - Can anyone help to resolve this question.

Perhaps the term High was never used and thus the Wikipedia entry on Sir William Penney and his school is in error (and needs correcting).

Can anyone please assist?

John38

« Reply #99 on: February 05, 2014, 20:01:05 »
He sounds a good sort, CDP.

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 87
    • SHEERNESS/SHEPPEY/PENNEY
« Reply #98 on: February 05, 2014, 19:50:33 »
I may have mentioned this before but Les Bryant, the woodwork teacher, was a very good teacher who was taught at Goldsmith College, London. He used to work his socks off for the school plays, Parents Evenings etc.
His nickname was "  BULLER " short for bullsh.. because he had seen everything, done everything, had 10 T shirts, etc. etc. etc. No one could find something that he did not have, had seen or had some at home.

But ask him and he would do anything for you and enjoy helping out on any job.
The solution to every problem is a.) time , or  b.) another problem.

John38

« Reply #97 on: February 05, 2014, 19:27:47 »
I knew Rod, from the Saint John's Band, and I went to the Tech, but I don't remember him going to the Tech. However I could well have a memory lapse!

GeraldHughes

« Reply #96 on: February 05, 2014, 16:04:27 »
Nobody seems to dwell on the fact that Rod Hull (Minus his Emu) attended Sheerness Tech!!

GeraldHughes

« Reply #95 on: February 05, 2014, 15:53:00 »
For the pupil photo these are the ones I think I can remember, those I don't I list as DK (Don't Know). Top row: DK, DK, Shaun O'Rourke, Andy Beckenham, DK, Jim Simler, Davey, Clive Ross, Roger Powell?, Mahon
1st Down: DK, DK, DK, DK, DK, Jones, Frewin (of optician fame), DK, DK
2nd Down: Teachers
Bottom Row: DK, Michael Mead, DK, Bently, Chris Bishop, Mears, Malherbe

Where is the rest of the picture?

GeraldHughes

« Reply #94 on: February 05, 2014, 15:37:59 »
In the picture of the staff you list Les Buller Bryant, I believe this was a guy called Hobday, Bryant was an older man.

busyglen

« Reply #93 on: December 19, 2013, 14:51:10 »
I must add though, that having visited several people over the years in the `Home' the car park is a godsend, especially if you are taking a handicapped person there or taking someone home etc. 

busyglen

« Reply #92 on: December 19, 2013, 14:48:29 »
Slightly splitting hairs Busyglen, isn't the Blackburn Home on the site of the Broadway Girls School and the Tech School site is the Home's car park?

I don't mind splitting hairs Minsterboy.  :)  You have to remember that I am a Senior Citizen who has lived on Sheppey all my life and it is a job sometimes to remember what was in a specific place before.  You are of course perfectly correct.....I was doing it from memory and was trying to imagine the site, minus the Broadway Girls School and the Tech School.  I forgot about the carpark, it all appeared as one to me! ;)

John38

« Reply #91 on: December 18, 2013, 18:53:56 »
The Blackburn Home seems reasonable ... a car park = sacrilege. Thank you both :)

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines