News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Teaching at the Sheerness Tech 1962-1970  (Read 95559 times)

Minsterboy

Re: Teaching at the Sheerness Tech 1962-1970
« Reply #90 on: December 18, 2013, 16:24:36 »
Slightly splitting hairs Busyglen, isn't the Blackburn Home on the site of the Broadway Girls School and the Tech School site is the Home's car park?

busyglen

« Reply #89 on: December 18, 2013, 15:55:18 »
It is `Technically' ;) going off thread - I don't know what year it closed but it's demise led to the Blackburn Home being built  on the ground as previously the home was housed in prefabricated buildings near the Bus Station.

John38

« Reply #88 on: December 18, 2013, 13:36:11 »
Almost going off thread ... when did teaching end at the Tech? Why was it demolished? Which building replaced it? (Please & Thank you :))

gerry4962

« Reply #87 on: December 12, 2013, 21:31:09 »
It became a Technical High School some time after 1960 but before I left in 1966-7

Pete Beach

« Reply #86 on: December 04, 2013, 13:12:04 »
Hi Barry

The name on the official school photo from 1960 calls it Sheerness Technical School (see attachment). I remember the 4 school houses as Whitworth, Watt, Faraday and the last one escapes me.
cheers
Pete

John38

« Reply #85 on: November 19, 2013, 17:43:16 »
It was certainly, "Sheerness Technical School For Boys" when I was there, Barry 1951 - 3 (ish)

Barry 5X

« Reply #84 on: November 19, 2013, 17:35:26 »
Was Sheerness Tech classified as a “High” School?

Interesting to note that on Wikipedia there is a hyperlink on the “William Penney, Baron Penney” page
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Penney,_Baron_Penney) to the “Sheerness Technical High School for Boys” page
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheerness_Technical_High_School_for_Boys)

I have often wondered what the correct title for the Sheerness Tech was.  Was it a “Technical High School” or was it simply called “The Sheerness Technical School”?  Perhaps the “High” was added at some stage.  Does anybody know and can enlighten me on this?

Interested to see the Wikipedia “Sheerness Technical High School” page can only be reached via the hyperlink and not via the “Search Facility”.  Also to note that at this time there is no content on this page.

Disappointed therefore to see that the Arch Enemy “Borden Grammar School” have a Wikipedia page
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borden_Grammar_School) which is beginning to be edited albeit only from 2002 (However I note that there is a Link at the bottom of the page to the Old Bordenians web site which details memories akin to those on this topic).
http://old-bordenians.bordengrammar.kent.sch.uk/

Looking at the content of this topic (and other topics/trends) on the Kent History Forum, one wonders if anyone will take up the challenge to edit the Wikipedia site to reflect the history and demise of the Sheerness Tech, its houses (Drake, Nelson, Anson and _______?), its role in the war, floods and its famous pupil(s) etc.?

Pete Beach

« Reply #83 on: November 11, 2013, 15:51:47 »
I was at the Tech 1966 to 1970 and remember it as a fun time even with the prospect of Bill Barnett catching you doing something terrible like talking to someone during class. My Brother Dave Beach was there a few years earlier and had thoroughly hated it having continual run-ins with Barnetts cane. Therefore the name Beach was well known and Bill Barnett marked my card the first opportunity he had. It did get me working though and I was happy to do homework and everything else because I ended up with reasonable results. Going to the comp after it closed was a bit of a shock and I don't think it really did me any favours academically. I ended up going to Art College which I enjoyed also, but have always wondered what would have happened if the Tech hadn't closed.

gerry4962

« Reply #82 on: November 08, 2013, 20:32:38 »
I was at the Tech from about 1960-67, leaving to go on to Kings College of London University. These posts have brought back many memories, especially of the tubular bells which I had the job of ringing for my last year. I especially enjoyed the "Ring off" at the end of term/year. Several of us in my year went off to university. I remember the Engine room in the science block at the back with a gas engine, diesel engine and stress testing machines.  I later went on to join Kent Police and one day stopped Jim Bryant the woodwork teacher whilst I was on motorcycle patrol much to his horror. They were hard schooldays but I think gave us a good work ethic and attitude. However the methods wouldn't be acceptable these days. perhaps that`s what 's missing. I think the one un-named person might be Mr Keohane, who taught history but I can`t be certain. Trevor Lifton I think also taught metalwork.

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 87
    • SHEERNESS/SHEPPEY/PENNEY
« Reply #81 on: November 07, 2013, 19:52:34 »
I am sure that the missing name was Keohane (not sure how to spell the name!). I joined the staff in 1962 and never met some of the chaps.
The solution to every problem is a.) time , or  b.) another problem.

John38

« Reply #80 on: November 07, 2013, 19:17:00 »
Well there must have been a few changes in the 7 years after I left.

In my time 51 - 53: There was no Pottery or French taught. Tim Holt the PE teacher and our form master taught Eng Lang not Maths. Jack Ryder only taught woodwork. Joe Duddle only taught Physics.

Barry 5X

« Reply #79 on: November 07, 2013, 16:27:22 »
Updated gallery of Sheerness Teachers and Staff - taken from 1960 School Photograph.  Hope it is correct.

Unfortunately although I remember the face I have no name for the teacher (top left next to secretary) 

Possible names that have been suggested:

Fred Tulip, D J Keohane, Mr Luland ……………..??

John38

« Reply #78 on: November 06, 2013, 15:38:29 »
I can just imagine it! Great fun!

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 87
    • SHEERNESS/SHEPPEY/PENNEY
« Reply #77 on: November 06, 2013, 15:19:56 »
During the schools Sports Day the teachers had to act as timekepers and judges for the race events etc. My job, as an ex-metalwork  teacher was to invent, make and maintain a fun water game. This was a tilting framework and a largish paddle type thing connected to a bucket full of water and one lad carrying another on his back had to tilt at this large paddle which upended the bucket full of water with the lads passing by without them getting wet.
(An impossible task !!!! )  and they all got very wet even though I explained that it was possible if they run faster. Mr. Barnett almost agreed to try this, much to the boys delight, but he said " later".
The solution to every problem is a.) time , or  b.) another problem.

John38

« Reply #76 on: October 30, 2013, 09:43:36 »
I have a feeling #2 is 'Fred' Tulip (Geog & Hist) ....not sure though.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines