News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Maidstone Prison & House of Correction  (Read 19146 times)

Offline davpott

• Appreciation 46
Re: Maidstone Prison & House of Correction
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2016, 22:05:23 »
Apparently the Goal was originally in the High Street before moving to King Street....

http://www.hereshistorykent.org.uk/displaytheme.cfm?pagetype=Themes&themeID=463&category

Indeed it was.

I am not a superstitious person. But I don't think I'd want to live in a house near the high point on either Sittingbourne or Heathfield Roads.

In 1799 one of my family (uncle, brother or son depending on whose eyes you look at it from) was hanged there. It always gives me a bit of the creeps just seeing that high point on what was then part of Penenden Heath when I drive down Detling Hill. 

Offline davpott

• Appreciation 46
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2016, 21:28:30 »
Apparently the Goal was originally in the High Street before moving to King Street....

http://www.hereshistorykent.org.uk/displaytheme.cfm?pagetype=Themes&themeID=463&category

For clarification. The original west Kent gaol was situated in the the High Street (somewhere near to where the old town hall. Now the tourist office,now stands).

In 1736 an Act of Parliament was obtained to move it whereby in 1746 was moved next to the House of Correction in East lane. After many alterations in 1775 the west Kent goal was again rebuilt on a new site further along East Lane. After many years of debate and legal challenges between East and West Kent a combined county gaol was opened on its current site in1819. 

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 238
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2016, 18:14:46 »
We've also got to remember that Penenden Heath was much larger at the time that it is now. Most of it has been built on.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

KeithJG

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2016, 17:40:12 »

Offline davpott

• Appreciation 46
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2016, 15:32:44 »
"Does anyone know where the gaol actually was in Maidstone in 1782 please  ? "

According to the capital punishment web site Laas (Lash) 1784 Assizes Monday 15 March   Execution Monday  22 March as Bilgerat stated Penenden Heath

It was In East Lane. It had been rebuilt in 1775 but still remained a very unhealthy place. Following the deaths of twenty prisoners in 1783 it was again enlarged and improved four years later.

As you will discover there is no longer an East Lane in Maidstone. After not a little search I managed to discover that it is now called King Street. The gaol stood on the south side.

In 1784 public executions still took place on the highest point on Penenden Heath    http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=51.2844&lon=0.5360&layers=176

At around 1813 the site of the gallows was shifted to nearer the Chiltern Hundreds pub so that the sight of executions would no longer visible from the town.

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 238
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2016, 15:15:10 »
Just a minor point of grammar - when talking about capital punishment, the person is hanged, not hung. I've already corrected a couple of posts with this.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

KeithJG

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2016, 14:04:19 »
I know we are talking Maidstone but i don`t know if the Gaol was in a different place to the actual Public Hanging gallows but in this link...http://www.capitalpunishmentuk.org/1800.html

The Kent murderers etc. were hanged at Penenden Heath as Bilgerat says but also there was Canterbury and Shooters Hill.

I also think it depended on what crime that had been committed where you were hanged as the Highwayman around Hollingbourne, which is in the Maidstone area, were often hanged at Black Post Crossroads.

Offline Longpockets

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2016, 22:30:51 »
"Does anyone know where the gaol actually was in Maidstone in 1782 please  ? "

According to the capital punishment web site Laas (Lash) 1784 Assizes Monday 15 March   Execution Monday  22 March as Bilgerat stated Penenden Heath

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 238
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2016, 11:26:19 »
As far as I'm aware, hangings were done in public at Penenden Heath.

Offline man of kent

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2016, 23:48:07 »
Seems to be the same place in the 1830s onward, National Archives have lists and records for "Maidstone Jail & house of correction" but http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mrawson/gaolrec.html mentions Brambles Prison. I'll ask a friend who may know.

From http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51128
A Topographical History of England edited by samuel Lewis 1848

The county gaol, situated at the north end of the town, contains seventeen wards for males; the house of correction for males has twelve wards: the common gaol for females consists of four classes, and the house of correction for females comprises three. New courts, in which the assizes are held, have been built adjoining the gaol. The entire structure occupies fourteen acres of ground inclosed within walls, and is built of Kentish ragstone.

From: 'Mabe - Maidstone', A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 208-216. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51128  Date accessed: 20 February 2011.
Does anyone know where the gaol actually was in Maidstone in 1782 please  ? When Martin Lash was convicted at Maidstone assizes that year for the murder of Mary Bax at Deal it's stated in the Gentleman magazine that he was hung in Maidstone after being chained to the floor of the dungeon and after death was buried beneath the Maidstone gallows as the dissectors refused his body. Love to know where the gallows was in 1782. Excellent website thanks.

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 218
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2012, 20:39:04 »
I’ve just been told there’s quite a lot about the Maidstone prisons in “The History of Maidstone” by J.M. Russell (1881), in Chapter 12 Courts and Punishments.

And very good it is too, detailed descriptions from 1367-1881, Kent assizes, court houses, judges lodging and perks, stocks, whippingpost, ducking-stool, pillory, gallows, whipping at the cart's-tail, witch trials, unlawfully playing football! detailed descriptions of prisons, prison escapes.

Best of all it is available FREE @ http://archive.org/details/historymaidston00russgoog

Offline Riding With The Angels

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2011, 16:04:12 »
I believe the building near Gabriels Hill has medieval cellars or undercroft in and not cells.

Sussex police have a 'Bridewell' at Eastbourne as a seperate custody area to the police station.

seafordpete

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2011, 08:51:55 »
I recall that a cellar or cells were found a 3-4 years back at the top of the High St under one of the shops. about 2nd or 3rd from Gabriels Hill going towards the Town Hall, can't remember what they were though-any one else remember?
Bridewell is far from archaic, google it and several police stations come up such as Bristol & Nottingham and I'm sure there is one in Liverpool or Manchester

btluna

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2011, 18:38:12 »
I’ve just been told there’s quite a lot about the Maidstone prisons in “The History of Maidstone” by J.M. Russell (1881), in Chapter 12 Courts and Punishments.

btluna

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2011, 17:59:53 »
Thank you for the help everyone! Great forum!  :)

I wasn't familiar with the term bridewell but I found out it's a house of correction, esp. for minor offences.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines