News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Richborough Port  (Read 50706 times)

Layzee

Re: Richborough Port
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2013, 23:28:45 »
I stumbled upon what I now know to be the train ferry quay completely by accident, last Friday (14th) whan I was out on a photo rummage (being a keen amateur photographer). I spotted the structure in the distance and slowly headed over, I took a set of pictures which you may be interested in

The rest of the set can be found herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/92090785@N03/with/9049336533/ along with some of my other pictures.

I did a lot of reading about the port and didn't realise the size of it, I can remember the railway that crossed the sandwich road just before the power station, never gave it a second thought as to what it was for, but I did have a look and at least one of the original gate posts is still there marking where the line crossed the old road, everything to the south of the road is long gone.
I will be going back to do some more pictures and will post them here when done.

Offline howard

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2013, 19:55:48 »
I was under the impression that the buses had blacked out windows during WW2 when bits of Mulberry Harbour were being built.

Offline doug

• Appreciation 14
« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2013, 16:30:12 »
As Port Richborough was a military unit, I think the civilian Police would be checking civilian traffic along the main road. The buses had blacked out windows and carried a guard, who would be dropped of at Sandwich Bridge or the Coast Guard cottages at Ebbesflete.
Can find no mention of a Police station on the site plan, although there still is the cell blocks, situated below Richborough Castle.

Polsa999

« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2012, 21:47:01 »
I am a volunteer member of the British Transport Police History Group, a group dedicated to preserving the history of the railway, dock and canal police who preceded the BTP.

From Hansard I discovered that a question was asked in the House regarding the police at Richborough Port and in the response it mentioned that there were 54 railway police stationed at the depot. I expect that they were South Eastern & Chatham Railway Police. I have been asked to write an article for our Year Book about the police at the port, I know that there was a fire station and a hospital, was there a police station? Any other information regarding the railway police at this site in WW1 would be appreciated.

Offline DS239

• Appreciation 11
  • "Oh, sod it; the bloody thing’s stuck again"
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2012, 17:12:18 »
Hello All,

I have seen reference to the NAAFI having a stores depot within the Richborough Port/Stonar area during WW2,does anyone know any more about this,or where it was situated?

Offline helcion

• Appreciation 29
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2011, 21:28:47 »
One of the Richborough train ferry linkspan gantries still exists at Harwich, transferred there in 1923 & out of service since the closure of the train ferry services.
The train ferries docked on the far side of the timber structure.

The survival of the gantry & wharf is probably due to it being a Listed Structure, as mentioned in PHILSPAIN's post of 11/8/10 in this thread.

These photos taken on 13/4/11.

Ramsgate History

« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2011, 16:13:50 »
Think these are the buildings that are being demolished now.

Esso (formerly Pratts) had depots in Wilson's Road, Ramsgate and Sandwich. The photos below were of my Grandfather Alf Miller who drove for them. The accident below occured one night as Fred was driving back towards Ramsgate from Sandwich. It was getting dark and with no other traffic on the road he was just using his side lights. At the time there were many concrete block buildings just off the road that had been erected for the army during WW1. This particular building was being used by The Economic Laundry and there was a wide ornate iron gate that had swung out into the roadway. Alf did not see it untill the last moment and lost control of his steering before he could stop.

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
    • National Three Peaks Challenge 2012, raising funds for Help for Heroes
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2011, 13:39:35 »
Spent a pleasant couple of hours down by the Stour yesterday evening, this is the Train Ferry Dock now.

Three Peaks Challenge 2012 - raising funds for Help for Heroes
www.bmycharity.com/Islesy

Offline helcion

• Appreciation 29
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2011, 15:07:19 »
Weren't the bulk of buildings on the land currently being cleared the remaining buildings used by Astra Fireworks ?

Mostly widely scattered small buildings, separated by earth bunds, used for firework assembly.

I remember seeing them from the 1950s onwards.

See   -   http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=7832.0

Offline doug

• Appreciation 14
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2011, 14:17:27 »
The buildings being demolished by Stevens and Carlotti although quite old, are not on my copy of the ww1 site plan which lists all of the buildings which were erected. 

Offline alysloper

• Appreciation 7
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2011, 13:06:11 »
MM

Are these, in fact WW1 era buildings which are being demolished?  I thought the few remaining WW1 buildings were all nearer Sandwich i.e. at the shed factory?

regards
Ian

Monkton Malc

« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2011, 12:49:03 »
I drove along the Sandwich road yesterday morning and saw that some of the old WW1 buildings that Stevens & Carlotti use were being either taken down or demolished. It was the one nearest the road next to the cut that was being worked on. I was not in my car so didn't have a camera to take pictures.

MM

Offline Ted Ingham

• Appreciation 38
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2010, 10:27:29 »
A view from the opposite direction.

Offline Ted Ingham

• Appreciation 38
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2010, 10:07:46 »
A general view of the area taken in the early 1980's.

Offline doug

• Appreciation 14
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2010, 16:30:49 »
The machine shops were in the main area of the Phizer site, that is the area used by Phizers when they were producing chemicals. The switch building is similar to one that was close to the train ferry track. 

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines