News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 1700's Picture  (Read 2716 times)

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 263
Re: 1700's Picture
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 19:43:04 »
The ship in the foreground appears to have 2 gundecks, making it probably either a 3rd rate (more than 70 guns) or a 4th rate (up to 70 guns) ship-of-the-line. The fact that the ship has a lateen sail on the mizzen mast rather than a spanker means that this picture probably dates from the mid to late 18th century. Up to the mid-18th century, ships-of-the-line carried a small mast at the end of the bowsprit carrying a sprit-topsail. The 'spanker' had replaced the lateen sail on mizzen masts by the Battle of Trafalgar (1805). The ship herself is carrying a blue pennant on the main mast and a blue ensign. This means the ship is part of the 'blue' squadron. The ship is a private ship (meaning she's not carrying a flag-officer or acting as a flag-ship).

As Kyn hints, the clock tower building is visible in the background to the left. Assuming the perspectives are correct, the ships in the dry-docks would be in Nos 1 and 2 docks. For those who don't know, No2 dock currently contains HMS Cavalier and No1 dock no longer exists, although it's mouth
is still visible from the river.

"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
1700's Picture
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 18:51:43 »
I like that you can recognise the buildings  :)

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines