News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: 127th AAA Battery  (Read 37525 times)

chuckv

Re: 127th AAA Battery
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2011, 19:33:14 »
Thank you for your kind words.  During my research for the last 8 years, I have gathered up about 300 pages of documents, etc. on my dad's wwII history and the 127th AAA Gun Bn..  I have written to and received many responses from some of the men of the Battalion.  Before his passing, Allan English sent me a roster of the Battalion.  He, along with Paul Alexa and other men, attended the ceremonies, late in the 1980's, honoring the British and American Anti-aircraft units with monuments placed on the Upper Road.
As I said earlier, my dad was a gunner of Battery "C", 127th AAA.  The one photo dispayed on this site shows the back of a gunner loading the Gun as Major Jensen watches.  I wonder if its my dad?  That's why I asked in my first post if a name(s) were on the back of the photo.
I'm hoping in the near future to travel to Dover with my son Michael to see the area where our brave artillery men (British and American) fought.  Will post more later.  Chuckv

« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2011, 17:48:40 »
chuckv: if you haven't already done so, check out the map on http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=9751.0;topicseen

Your dad and his mates (and other AAA units, too) did a good job.

Offline Alastair

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2011, 12:52:52 »
Just a thought - the circular marks pointed out by TowerWill - could they have been emplacements dug for the AA guns? Or are they too symmetrical?

chuckv

« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2011, 22:52:46 »
JohnG,  Hello.  I just happen to find this site while researching my dad's WWII history.  I've been doing this research for about 8 years.  He was a gunner, Battery "C", 127th AAA Gun Battalion.  Obviously, he too was on the White Cliffs of Dover from Aug. to the last part of Sept., 1944.  Your information presented on this Forum is fantastic!  I wonder if there are names on the back of one of your pictures displayed recently?  The caption for this picture reads:  "Major Jensen watches "C" Battery limber up.  Dover."  If there are names,  would you please post them?  I would appreciate it beyond words.  I'll return to this Forum at another time soon.  I have alot of data on the 127th.  Thank you. 
Chuckv.

Offline Andyb

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2011, 20:26:53 »
Thankyou JohnG for the time you have spent putting these into the public domain.

Andy
Metiri est cognoscere

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2011, 08:52:38 »
Ted Ingham's AP in reply #34 "Old Road out of Broadlees Bottom" shows these fields as having plenty of trenches dug into them in 1940.Maybe the rings were connected with these.But maybe i've rediscovered some Neolithic round house sites!Another look at the list of ancient sites required.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2011, 10:56:53 »

From Google Earth.In the field on the cliff side of Upper Road are a couple ring shaped crop marks(green arrows).I wonder if they had something to do with this battery?The old railway(red arrow)is also shown.This is from the 2007 historical imagery on Google Earth.I'm afraid the 2002 imagery doesn't show these(discussion on another thread).

Offline JohnG

• Appreciation 33
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2011, 20:05:36 »
I post a few more 127AAA photographs for those interested.

The Tomies carch two 12 inchers from the Cape. Sept 1944.
There is a British AA Mk 2 GL Radar in the centre.

British garage at Dover after a 16 inch shell hit the roof. Aug 1944.
I think this is one of the hangers.

Dover England Aug 1944. Two British 15 inch guns blast German gun emplacements in the
 Cap Griss Nez area on the French coast, as the 127 Hq personnel take to the slit trenches.

JohnG

Offline Alastair

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2011, 16:39:07 »
Another observation - in the picture of D Battery, is that a rangefinder covered up in the mid foreground?
Alastair

Offline Alastair

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2011, 16:58:35 »
Thanks. By way of observation of those terrific photos, has anyone noticed the tents have names on them? One appears to read 'Baker & Baker Jr, Future (something)' and another has Marie on it. The main observation is of the water tower. That is very definitely Victorian so obviously not built for the RFC. So what was here before the Air Forece arrived in WW1?
Alastair

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2011, 16:18:12 »
No, they're not listed online: I think you'd have to write or call. I am pretty certain the ref nos are correct. David

Offline Alastair

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2011, 16:15:43 »
Thanks. Haven't been able to find them on those ref nos but I'll persevere. Appreciate the help
Alastair

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2011, 05:41:13 »
Alastair: re plans, the IWM photographic collection has a couple of WW1 vertical aerial photos (I'm pretty sure their references are Q111406/7) which show the layout of huts, and on one of them each hut is identified.

Offline JohnG

• Appreciation 33
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2011, 19:40:17 »
The photograph showing the four CH masts with the hangers.  The blob on the left must be a gun with a cover over it, the axil and two wheels these guns had are nexr to it. JohnG.

Offline doug

• Appreciation 14
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2011, 19:28:52 »
I Do not have a plan for Swingate, The late Frank Cheeseman had a full set of plans for most ww1 airfields, on his death his papers went to the Fleet Air Arm Museum. We do have an aerial photo of Swingate Radar Station, and a large part of the airfield, this is on show in the RAF Manston museum, at Manston.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines