News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 127th AAA Battery  (Read 30974 times)

Offline JohnG

• Appreciation 33
Re: 127th AAA Battery
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2011, 16:46:30 »
A few more 127 AAA Photographs that might be of interest.  JohnG

Major Jensen watches 'C' Battery limber up. Dover.

'D' Battery in the foreground. Aug 1944,

Capt John Dimmer taken in Bn Hqs building Dover Aug 1944.

Col Arnold unvailing the monument

The British and American Guard of Honour. Salute fire with 25 Pdrs.

Hope they are of interest to some of you. JohnG

Offline JohnG

• Appreciation 33
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2010, 19:01:49 »
A few more 127 photos from JohnG

Towers and airodrome in back ground with peaked roofs of latrrines. May be shell hole dirt in foreground. Can't identify dark area on left.

Pause in the firing.

Gun 3 in position being cleaned. This must have  been in the first week of arriving because the gun revetment is incomplete. Robert Malhoit on left and maybe Robert 'Jake' Jacaby on right. Corrigated metal is the begining of a shelter to be built at the end of the leftoutriggers. Barbed wire fence in the back ground is part of the British defences against German invasion.

One of the old orderly rooms in the area.

JohnG

Offline JohnG

• Appreciation 33
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2010, 17:31:48 »
To the 127 AAA fans, a few more photographs that may interest you.

August 4 - 8 One of the WW1 hangers used when airplanes were ferried from England to France.

Gun 3 on left. Robert 'Jake' Jaacoby. Maybe Julius Hettle on right.
Some of the names may be a bit out as the writing is difficult to read,

Work in progress building revitment and revitment.
 Tent to left, Eric Anderson and Julius Hettle, Can't identify people around the gun.

Offline Alastair

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2010, 16:42:08 »
Terrific, JohnG - have these ever been seen in public in recents years? Thanks for showing them.
Alastair

Offline JohnG

• Appreciation 33
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2010, 14:36:28 »
A few more of the 127 AAA photos.  These are all in the Swingate area.

Our only latrine.

Supply room. People on left not identified.

Aug 8 - 21 (?) Valley between 127th positions and Dover Castle showing the barrage balloon in the middle of the picture.

View from gun park showing fence, orderly room, supply room and brick latrine with water storeage tank on top. Area hit by 2nd 16 inch shell at the same time the one that landed in front of amo hanger.

Will post more very soon.  JohnG

Offline JohnG

• Appreciation 33
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2010, 22:19:13 »
Hi Alastair.  Yes, you are correct.  I will try and post some more very soon.  I have now finished scanning them all, now to get them in the bucket and onto the forum.  JohnG

« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2010, 18:13:40 »
Hi alastair. I suspect Mrs JohnG may have padlocked his laptop for today. And yes. If you look on G.E. the two large concrete rectangles in the loop of road are the hangar bases. They, and the huts, show up quite well at the lower edge of the AP I posted on the Swingate C.H. thread (reply #102).

Offline Alastair

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2010, 17:28:56 »
JohnG, in the first of your really great photos, are the hangars mentioned at the back of the picture the WW1 ones that stood by Reach Road behing Langdon Prison? Thus making the photographer stand wit his back to the prison.
Alastair

Offline JohnG

• Appreciation 33
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2010, 14:19:39 »
Yes, there is a water tank on the top, you will see this in some of the photos yet to be posted.   Most of these are the buildings of the old airfield. JohnG

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2010, 09:06:50 »
Any idea what the very substantial-looking 3 storey (at least) building in your fourth pic was, JohnG?

Offline JohnG

• Appreciation 33
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2010, 22:50:10 »
127 AAA Photographs

Sunday Church service being conducted from the hood of the jeep. Hangars and 583 Radar in the back ground

Can not identify this person.  The 584 Radar can be seen all sand bagged up mid left centre

Left to Right. "Shorty" Baker. "?" Rice. Howard "Poppy" Tetus. Robert "Jake" Jacoby and "?" T
hrockmorton.

Orderly Room with lattrin to left.

Julius Tuttle out side of well sand bagged entry way to the tent covered 5 foot hole in the ground shared with Eric Audeson

These are all taken, I think, around the Swingate area behind Langdon.
There are more to come.
JohnG

Offline JohnG

• Appreciation 33
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2010, 17:20:04 »
Will do the photos very soon, sure there are some of 'C' Battery. The 127 AAA boys gave me a copy of their history.  Sadly many of the men who came over for the memorial have passed on, a great bunch of men.  JohnG

Eric V

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2010, 16:02:01 »
The information on here so far is great. Thank you for the map and photos. My Grandfather was John R. Villafana. He was the 1st Sgt of C Battery for the 127th. I'm working on compiling as much history about the unit as possible. If you happened to have known my grandfather or know anyone who knew him please let me know. I'd like to get some information about their experiences during the war. I'm pretty sure I have some pics of some of the men of the 127th AAA during their training at Camp Stewart, Georgia. I'll take a look and see what I can dig up. @ John G. I'm really looking forward to seeing the photos that you've got of the 12
7th on the cliffs.

Offline JohnG

• Appreciation 33
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2010, 21:10:33 »
rwiltbank.  I will scan the photographs and post them as soon as I get a moment. JohnG

rwiltbank

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010, 02:29:20 »
JohnG,
I'd love to see the photos. I wish that I were in southern England so I could just drop by!  ;)
Is there any way you could scan some of them?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines