News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 127th AAA Battery  (Read 22388 times)

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

MSwift

Re: 127th AAA Battery
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2013, 02:54:08 »
Does anyone have any information about the attack on Sep 15, 1944 which struck the 127th AAA, D Bat killing Pvt. Max Long?  I am doing research about Max for his sister and would appreciate any help. 

Also, there are a multiple photos of an attack which hit Swingate on this forum.  Does anyone know the date those photos where taken?  Thanks again for the help.

adoorenj

« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2013, 15:17:58 »
Dear ChuckV.
I recently joined this website.
My name is Jons van Dooren.
I am the Chairman of the organisation that commemorates the 1944 Mass in the cave in Maastricht ( Netherlands).
we are looking for contact with people, whose fathers, uncles etc. attended Mass in 1944.
Please contact : info@shak1944.org

Every year again we organise this commemoration service as we think it should nevber be forgotten what these men did for us.
We still have contact with one of the survivers. We also have the book by Allen English.
We really hope to hear from anyone who is interested in 127th AAA and what happened in Maastricht.

my private email is: jhgmvandooren@home.nl

tlyng

« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2012, 08:26:34 »
Hello everyone!

I have just joined here.

I come from Dover, Kent and have explored the majority of tunnels, citadels and batterys that are there - having lived there all my life.

I was up the cliffs the other day and found Langdon Hole and the entrance to the batterys I believe which were for the 127TH AAA on the cliffs themselves (not the one where you climb down the front cliff path and onto Dead Mans Bay).

I was looking back on the cliffs and realised how this area looks like it was probably man-landscaped some time ago as opposed to the natural curve of the cliffs... which has lead me to this forum! I am very interested in trying to find photos of the battery itself - arial, landscape and upclose of what it looked like.

Some fantastic photo's have been provided on here which have quite opened my eyes but I am still searching.. if anyone can help me out that would be great!

Feel free to ask any questions about the tunnels, gun placements etc across the cliffs from St Magrets over to Samphire below Shakespeare Cliff :)

chuckv

« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2011, 20:11:02 »
JohnG,  Great hearing from you.  My dad's name was Charles (Chuck) Vulyak from Youngstown, Ohio.  Again, he was a Gunner in Battery "C".  I don't know what gun he was assigned to.  Six months before Allan English passed away, he sent me his privately published Log of the events of the Battalion and a List of the Battalion men.  He said he did not know my dad.  During the last 2 1/2 years, I wrote about 105 letters to some of the men on the List.  I received about 35 responses with odds and ends of their experiences.  None of these fine gentlemen knew my dad.  Of 750 men of the Battalion, 35 responses is a very small of percentage that might have known my dad.  If you go to the "Virtual Dover War Memorial" site and look for a short story I wrote about my dad, you will see a picture of him that might help you in your search.  Some of the men I wrote to were John Bowers, William Ring, Dan Wemple, William Jennings, Thomas English and Norman Brown.  I also wrote to Lt. William Payne but did not receive a reply.  William Jennings sent me Lt. Payne's story of the 127th.  I would be very grateful to you if I could view or purchase the book :the Fighting 127th".  Please advise if this is possible.  Regarding the photos of Normandy and France, I would also like to view these photos.  I do not have any photos of these places.  Thank you for your time and help.  Will post later.  ChuckV

Offline JohnG

• Appreciation 32
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2011, 17:26:09 »
chuckV.  Yes, I did meet Paul Alexa and Alan English, John Dimmer, Forest Brown, Robert Spanneruth and many more.  I helped with the organising of the monument and did a lot of research on the 127 AAA's period in Dover.  I was able to show the veterans to their gun sites.  I do have lists of "C" Battery at different dates.  I do not think you have ever mentioned who your father was, his name.  I have a book that Paul Alexa and others put together, 'The Fighting 127th', this has many names in it.  JohnG

Offline JohnG

• Appreciation 32
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2011, 22:37:23 »
Chuckv.  Sorry. I hope to look at the 127 AAA papers very soon.  In the past I posted photographs of 127 in Dover, I also have some of them on their way to Normandy and more of them in France. I received a lot of papers from Paul Alexa.  JohnG.

statue1

« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2011, 22:21:11 »
Chuckv, I read the article you wrote about your dad, you should be very proud. I don't know for sure if my dad was at the Mass, but I have a letter he wrote on Dec. 24 1944 and given the tone and spirit of the letter I think he was there. If I can figure how to post pic's I'll put them up as soon as I get them digitized.

chuckv

« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2011, 20:11:42 »
Statue1,  Just remembered a site you would want to look at...."Virtual Dover War Memorial".  It has a short article I wrote about my dad and Dover.  Its called " We Came To Serve".  This site is run by Maggie and another individual.  You can get info on the 127th.  Chuckv

chuckv

« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2011, 19:55:00 »
Welcome Statue1,  I was just as excited as you when I found this Forum a week or 2 ago.  For now, let me tell you about the Midnight Mass that was held on Dec. 24, 1944 in Maastricht, Belgium.  The 127th was dug in around this Belgium town at the start of the Battle of the Bulge.  For some reason, men of the Battalion were invited to go to the Mass.  The Mass was held in the 1000 year old caves near Maastricht.
After the Mass, the Dutch monks and priests served the men coffee and donuts and asked them if they wanted to sign there names on the cave walls.  They used pieces of chalk or charcoal to sign.  To this day, the names are still legible.  Do you know if your father attended the services?  I have a few pictures of the 127th men.  I'll try and post them.  Please post yours.  My dad was a gunner in Battery "C".  Will post later.  Chuckv

statue1

« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2011, 19:13:14 »
Hello, I just found this forum and I'm very excited. My father was Lt. Vincent McLean, he served at Dover Castle and was with the 127th throughout the war. He is mentioned in the Paul Alexa oral history in the Library of Congress. I'm very interested in the History of the 127th since I did not have a chance to ask my father. I have some pictures, but I think they where taken in Holland and Belgium, some of the people identified are Sgt. Thompson, Sgt. Heitz, Sgt Dillberto, Sgt Cook and Lt. Irwin. I will post the pic's if there is any interest. Any info about the 127th would be appreciated.

chuckv

« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2011, 21:24:32 »
JohnG,  Thank you again for your post.  During the Memorial festivities (127th AAA Gun Bn.), did you meet Allan English, Paul Alexa or John Bowers (of the 127th)?  Paul donated his uniform to the Dover War Museum.  If I may, what role did you play during the planning, etc. of the Memorial?  Thank you again?  Chuckv   

Offline JohnG

• Appreciation 32
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2011, 19:56:04 »
ChuckV.  Will look through the papers as soon as I get a moment.  I was given quite a lot of papers from members of 127AAA when I helped with the memorial some years ago. JohnG

chuckv

« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2011, 16:31:44 »
JohnG,  Thank you for your reply.  I do not have a list of the Gun Crews.  When you can, I would really be grateful if you could look for this info.  Will be patiently waiting for your post.  I think about a year and a half ago of later, the Kent Society printed an article that I wrote about my dad and the 127th.  I think the title was "Brave Battalion.....".  Its been awhile since it was printed.  I have been in contact with Maggie of the Virtual Dover War Memorial site.  She was and is very helpful in my research.  Will post later.  Thank you.

Offline JohnG

• Appreciation 32
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2011, 15:58:47 »
Hi ChuckV.
Sorry for delay in reply.  I am sorry the photos do not have any other information on them. I have other papers which may have the gun crews listed but you say you have many papers so you may have the same ones that I have. Let me know if you want me to look. JohnG

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines