News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Aylesford Sand Company  (Read 3597 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.


  • Guest
Aylesford Sand Company
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 21:33:29 »
There is some ninety feet of river frontage and private mooring facility on the river bank south of the George. This tiny cove and wharf were sub-let between 1912 and December 1940 to Silas Wagon, who traded as the Aylesford Sand Company. Sand was brought out from the sand pit by horse-drawn cart and conveyed down Rochester Road to this wharf. The sand was discharged down a chute into the open hold of the moored barge. The load was constantly trimmed manually to prevent the barge from listing as the water level rose on flood tides. The Aylesford Sand Company also used a larger wharf on the west of the village area. Sand was conveyed in open trucks which travelled along a narrow gauge railway line. This passed through a tunnel under the High Street at the west of Court Farm. The railway track ran the whole length of this wharf to facilitate the loading of barges and lighters which were too large to navigate under Aylesford's bridge.

Text from:

Old sign next to the River Medway, behind Aylesford Priory.


BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines