News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Abandoned Village of Hampton-on-Sea, Herne Bay  (Read 11042 times)

Offline Mickleburgh

• Appreciation 9
Re: Abandoned Village of Hampton-on-Sea, Herne Bay
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2017, 08:00:52 »
The Hampton Pier tramway was almost certainly only hand propelled trucks but nonetheless managed to appear on some 19th C railway maps as a `branch` from the main line. The shallow embankment carrying it was still visible until modern times either side of the road towards Swalecliffe. The means by which goods were, presumably, transferred to trains on the LC&D line sometime after 1861 is unknown. The cottages alongside the line (still extant) belonged to the Hampton Pier company but whether there was a siding or merely a `wharf` platform is unclear. The main line embankment was much higher than that of the tramway so any physical connection unlikely.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 59
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2017, 14:02:38 »
Comparison of modern coastline (green) to coastline 100+ years ago.

Offline Forevershaky

• Appreciation 0
  • Mark Jones
    • Herne Bay Railway Station Museum
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2017, 03:29:36 »
This photograph from 1895 still shows the Hampton fisheries tramway track still in place along with an abandoned wagon in shot.

http://kentphotolibrary.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/Old-photographs-of-Kent/G0000Xh2LINkbuxs/I0000Bz_Fy7aN0VI

Offline Sylvaticus

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2012, 00:15:20 »
It'll be interesting to learn what the 5/- was for.

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 13:22:46 »
There is a talk, arranged by the HRGS, to be given by Geoff Turner on the lost village of Hampton (with a Jack the Ripper connection). "For the sake of five shillings a village was lost". 14 March, 7.00pm in the Avenue Theatre, Central Avenue, Sittingbourne. HRGS members free, non members 3 including a magazine.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 18:35:46 »
Ok, humble pie time. I have done some more research and have found out this. The tramway was independant of the main line, cartographers licence showing a physical connection, I have not even found out what gauge it was. It was built to convey fish and oysters to the siding at Hampton (the bushes concealed the top of the embankment on GE), horse power in the main but legend has it when the wind was in the right direction a sail car was used. That said I have heard that so many times about Pier tramways and I have only ever had confirmation of one Pier that used it, Herne Bay and that was stopped after a fatal accident. The line was built about 1865ish, no date found yet, and was closed in 1879 then lifted in 1880. I get the impression that the tramway terminated at the foot of the embankment and produce was carried to the top and loaded by hand. If any one has more I would be interested. Regards, Sentinel S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

seafordpete

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 11:57:20 »
on the 1896-8 1:2500 it shows it as a single track but if you zoom in it is spurred off the main line- intrigueing. The 1911 card shows what looks very like a station-even the white palisade fencing

Offline man-of-kent

• Appreciation 6
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 11:21:49 »
We're not talking about long heavy goods trains here. More likely a single truck pulled by horses.
Derek Brice

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 11:00:10 »
Hi. I stand corected. However I debate the connection with the main line. The embankment is not wide enough on top for an extra line, lifted or in place. There is evidence on the ground for the tramway as on GE you can see the course quite clearly and a bridge is still in place. The grade for this line from the road to the main line would not be easy, something like a 1 in 20 and too steep for a loco. Go on prove me wrong, please, and show me a pic. You lot are great at that. If it is a lost line then it needs documenting before all memories and traces ore gone. Regards, Sentinel S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline man-of-kent

• Appreciation 6
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 07:30:26 »
Just checked http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html and viewed the map for 1872 - 1894 and there was a connection to the main line with a small loop siding that connected with the up and down main lines. I used to drive past there up to a few years ago and I never saw any remains. The embankment for the branch must have been completely levelled for the houses that are there now.
Derek Brice

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 00:19:32 »
I knew that was going to happen. You lot are too damn good. I don't see how it connected to the main line though; the main line is high on an embankment through there, was there yesterday doing a delivery. I am still sure thatit did not connect to the main. Seeing 1878 and the Victorian habit of photographing every bit of rail laid, anyone got a pic? 

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 23:08:49 »
I have studied the railway system in Kent for many years and have never heard of a link to Hampton Pier. I will have another look later but I am sure that it never existed. There might have been rails in the pier for a crane but I am certain that a link to the main line, LCDR, was not built. I am ready to be corrected with photographic evidence of a loco in steam on the pier. Regards Sentinel S4.

Offline man-of-kent

• Appreciation 6
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 22:19:55 »
There was also a railway linking the mainline to Hampton Pier. Does anyone have any information about that?
Derek Brice

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 14:27:05 »
Is this Hampton-on-Sea today with just the pub left?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines