News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Murston`s former Industry - Smeed Dean  (Read 11012 times)

tekno23

Re: Murston`s former Industry - Smeed Dean
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 20:11:40 »
Thanks for sharing the photos. I have enjoyed investigating my family history. 
When I am back in the U.K next I will have to try and find some of these sites.
Peter George Smeed Dean.

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2012, 07:00:24 »
Thanks for sharing that, DS239!

Offline DS239

• Appreciation 11
  • "Oh, sod it; the bloody thing’s stuck again"
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 02:37:37 »
Here's a photo of a 'Planet' diesel with a train on the 4'3" gauge railway system of Smeed Dean: http://www.flickr.com/photos/12a_kingmoor_klickr/6546062321/in/pool-1735762@N21/

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 22:35:35 »

darrenh

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 21:52:25 »
Yeah typo sorry, west end of the High Street. From memory that's the one opposite Station road, Co-op (now Wilkinson) ?

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 20:31:58 »
Did you mean the Baptist Church, High Street, derrenh? The church in East Street was Methodist.

I remember the Jam Factory in Bell Road. I once heard a tale that during WW2 they made jam using vegetables, sweetener, flavouring and then added seeds of some sort to make it look like raspberry or strawberry. I think this story may be true as it came from a very reliable source.

darrenh

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 20:04:40 »
Oh, George Hanbrook Dean  also owned farm land, fruit orchards in Tong.

darrenh

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 20:00:37 »
George Hanbrook Dean married George Smeeds daughter, Marrie Ann Smeed, in 1875.  Their business interests merged from there.

George Hanbrook Dean owned a jam factory at Whitehall, Bell Road Sittingbourne.  He was also sat on the Milton Board of Guardians, Finance Commitee, Sittingbourne burial board, he was a ship owner, a deacon at the Baptist church in East Street and also Sittingbourne Magistrate !!

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 15:46:47 »
I don`t know how the company came to be Smeed Dean. I can only assume that Dean was one of the family who owned the Jam Factory in Bell Road, Sittingbourne. I suppose it possible that they also made mineral waters. The building is still standing and has been occupied by numerous businesses including Freshbake and Sharwoods. I remember the jam but have no recollection of soft drinks. G. H. Dean & Co. (farming) appear to still be in business.

The Napier Brewery was situated in Sittingbourne in 1828 but the names linked to that were Vallance and Payne. I think it was called the Steam Brewery.

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 09:35:07 »
Re the name Dean in Smeed Dean, Does anyone know if this is part of the same family that ran the mineral water company of Dean and Co or Dean and Williams of Sittingbourne and Windsor? I have some codd bottles and a pint black beer marked Dean and Co Sittingbourne and I also have another black beer marked Sittingbourne steam brewery with the initials D&W on the base and have wondered if they were part of the same family.

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 09:06:40 »
Tom Burnham, I haven`t any more pictures but I know there are more in the family somewhere. If I find any I`ll post them.

Lyn L, I think the paths of our families must have crossed many years ago. My Great Uncle Jimmy Toms was skipper of the barge `Mercy` and took on George Faint as his mate. George married one of Uncle Jim`s daughters and became well known in the yacht/barge/yawl racing world. You may find the following links of interest.

www.thamesbarge.org.uk/thalassa.html

http://www.bookfinder.com/author/alan-cordell

Another `Uncle`, or rather lifelong family friend, was Bill Kennett, Skipper of the barge `Sidwell`. I don`t know the birth dates of Jimmy or Bill but I believe around or before 1880. I`m trying to track down photos of the `Mercy` and `Sidwell`and will post them if successful.

Online Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 20:27:13 »
Thanks for adding these pics, especially the ones of the brickworks and barges. Hubby's  Gt Grandfather and Gt Uncles were brickmakers there from 1871 up to about 1910 and his Grandfather was a mate on board one of Smeed Deans barges in 1901 Census, unfortunately not named and in Greenwich at the time. We've only seen a few pics and not of the whole brickworks like those.

Lyn L.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline Tom Burnham

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 19:55:08 »
Thanks for posting these - a great collection.  Any more in your loft?

Tom Burnham, Staplehurst

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
Murston`s former Industry - Smeed Dean
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 15:03:56 »

A few old pics of Smeed Dean`s industries in Murston, nr. Sittingbourne, unfortunately not dated. Recently discovered in the family archive` (loft).

Old Cement Works Engine - Mr. T. Ward who installed it

Old Cement Works Engine - Charlie Boorman, Engineer (left)

Brickfields

>
Brickfields

Brickfields

Barges (Smeed Dean`s) at Murston

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines