News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Skinner street Gillingham  (Read 4433 times)

KeithJG

Re: Skinner street Gillingham
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 15:23:26 »
Seeing as The Grand was my favourite cinema in the mid fifties when I was 7yrs. I was up and down Skinner Street all the time and remember the shops division covers hanging down as in the photo.

Also the Pub was called "The British Queen" in 1930. Photo corner of High St. & Skinner St.

Offline saergytha

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 14:45:06 »
I recall there was a greengrocery near the High Street junction run by Florrie Tadman in the 1960s.

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 10:08:43 »
There was a double fronted shop next door to the Victory pub {now changed name} could have originally been two.

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 101
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
Re: Skinner street
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 14:08:43 »
All I remember of Skinner Street was our Terh. School at the top and bunking off to see Bill Haley in  "Rock arround the Clock" at the Cinema half way down to the High Street. When we came out, which was after school time, "Chic" Norton, the maths teacher said, as he passed, " I hope you haven`t just been watching the afternoon show". All of us dutifully lied "No Sir, just went in to buy some popcorn", to which he replied "well put your caps on then, you know the rules!" 
I think there was Lefevres on the High Street corner.

Offline Janetlinda56

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 10:29:54 »
Sorry, it was in Gillingham.

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 10:10:13 »
Can anyone remember 2 shop that were in Skinner street, a greengrocers and a sweet shop, possibly owned by members of the same family, probally 50 / 60's.
Thank you.
    Chatham or Gillingham? I remember a greengrocers who was also a coal merchant Skinner st Chatham can't recall name think it began with a B backed on to Chalkpit Hill chalk face.

Offline Janetlinda56

• Appreciation 4
Skinner street Gillingham
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 08:33:04 »
Can anyone remember 2 shop that were in Skinner street, a greengrocers and a sweet shop, possibly owned by members of the same family, probally 50 / 60's.
Thank you.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines