News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Background views of Dover Harbour  (Read 28335 times)

Far away

Re: Background views of Dover Harbour
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2012, 15:02:37 »
The second Soviet ship is probably Ukrainian, out of Sebastopol. It shares its name with the Ukrainian Antarctic survey base - Akademik Vernadsky.

Offline Ted Ingham

• Appreciation 35
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2010, 09:51:26 »
I have previously shown a picture of the cable laying barge "LM BALDER" lying alongside the Eastern Arm.
In the early 80's she was part of a cable laying complex installing an electric cable from France to Folkestone. During this operation she was crossing the busiest shipping lane in the world and had Guard Vessels in attendance.These were redundant fishing vessels which had been laid up due Iceland's stance after the Cod War.They were chartered by Trinity House.At Dover Coastguard a special radar surveillance desk was set up to communicate with the Guard Vessels.It was exciting and nerve racking times as many an occasion vessels ignored all warnings and nearly ploughed into the complex.

Offline Ted Ingham

• Appreciation 35
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2010, 20:21:37 »
The last of the series of vessels that visited the Port of Dover during the 1970's.
Regards Ted

Thanks to Gordon Wise.

Offline Ted Ingham

• Appreciation 35
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2010, 20:34:27 »
I have almost scanned the Albums from the Gordon Wise Collection.One more batch after this one.An interesting collection of ships that once visited the Port of Dover.The ships themselves have almost ended up on the beaches of scrapyards around the World and at least one preserved for prosperity.
Regards, Ted

Scotian

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2010, 20:56:13 »
Hi Ted

The older Russian is the VITYAZ/UPIA   IMO 5382609  built 1939 by Deschimag, Bremerhaven
3248 gt 1668 dwt   conv General Cargo Vessel 1957
ex EQUATOR-49
ex EMPIRE MARS-48
ex MARS-45

Roger Jorden lists her history as taken up from trade (Neptun) 13.8.40 by Kriegsmarine as Seelowe Transport A36. returned to owners 13.5.42.  May 1945 at Copenhagen in use as a Hospital Ship and taken by British 23.7.1945 and renamed Empire Forth. and transferred to the Russians in 1946.  I have the ex name Empire Mars from Lloyds Index 1973.

She was a war prize and converted to a Research Ship in 1957 hence the bow sheave and
the side arms on the fore and after well decks.  I think that she was attached to the Vladivostock
fishing research fleet but interestingly never carried a fishing number which was normal for those ships.  
Also as she was painted white that would have made her one of the geophysical/university research ships
and as such may have used the equipment for deep ocean bathymetric trawls.

Good pics anyway

Gordon

Offline Ted Ingham

• Appreciation 35
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2010, 20:32:56 »
One more batch from the Gordon Wise Collection.Will have a break from scanning for a few days.
Regards,Ted.

The barge that laid the electricity cable across from the French Coast near Dunkerque to Folkestone Harbour.A complex operation crossing the Dover Strait.I was working at the SAR Flight at Manston.A few near misses and one time after no response from the vessel we put the winchman down on the bridge wing.Once inside the wheelhouse the ship's dog was the only one the bridge.Some redundant trawlers acted as Guard vessels.I have several pictures taken from the helicopter and will put them on at a later date if anyone is interested.

Offline helcion

• Appreciation 30
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2010, 13:32:04 »
She was a hydrographic/biological/geological research ship 1949-1979 (and now a museum ship at Kaliningrad). Both fitments for scientific/sampling kit presumably.

Ted   -

Thanks to yourself & David Asprey for solving that little mystery  -  another good example of KHF at work !

Your latest batch with the AFRIC STAR bought back memories,  I did the maiden voyage on the sister ship ANDALUCIA STAR & also sailed on the ALMEDA STAR.
 I think the AFRIC was the first ship of the class,  she was built on the Tees in ?75 & broken-up in India in 2001.
Nice-looking ships, built for speed & rolled like pigs !

Thanks again.

Offline Ted Ingham

• Appreciation 35
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2010, 10:59:56 »
Helcion,

Mike, I have managed to find out what the additional pulleys and gear that was fitted to the VITYAZ were used for.
From David Asprey
"She was a hydrographic/biological/geological research ship 1949-1979 (and now a museum ship at Kaliningrad). Both fitments for scientific/sampling kit presumably."

Offline Ted Ingham

• Appreciation 35
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2010, 10:40:22 »
Today's batch from the Gordon Wise collection.

A classic British Shipping Company BLUE STAR LINE.

A close up of the famous funnel.

Thick fog in the port.

You can just make out the double storey Pillbox and Guardroom at Langdon Battery before it was demolished

Back to work tomorrow.
I am trying
 to scan just the ships with still the changing background of Dover so as to make it interesting for everyone.The period is around the 70's when these were classic ships.Especially those in the Granville Dock which is now the Marina.
Regards Ted

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 29
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2010, 08:37:17 »
Your Jetfoil photo reminds me of some of the nice turns of duty we had delboy.Load the passengers at the Western Docks and then the train would be fast to London Victoria.Sometimes though i'd be checking tickets and find a passenger for Canterbury East(despite announcements before departure).I'd then have to ask my driver if he'd kindly stop to let the passenger off.OK if i found them before Westenhanger otherwise they'd be off at Pluckley or Charing as the train went via the fast line at Ashford.The Russian tickets made about as much sense as the names on the ships in the photos.

delboy

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2010, 19:24:45 »
I have posted 3 pictures that you may find interesting, the first is the Jetfoil entering the Western entrance,1980s taken by a work colleague. An aerial shot of Dover Harbour, circa 1970s, from Aero Photos Manston and the lifeboat,at that time, taken from the Eastern arm 1980s and the photos sold in aid of RNLB.delboy

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 29
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2010, 18:47:01 »
Thanks unfairytale,i'll have another look at that section.

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 31
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2010, 17:15:35 »
Yes unfairytale i've just had a look in "Dover Castle" by J. Coad and he says a works tunnel was driven in from the Eastern Ditch.That would make an interesting thread if anyone knows any more about it.Good to know the reference library has got a copy of the other book.

It's covered in the relevent thread on the Castle tunnels on this forum. Including some plans.
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

Offline Ted Ingham

• Appreciation 35
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2010, 14:55:59 »
The ro ro vessel ANU.On bareboat charter to Townsend Car ferries.In the distance the DHB dredger ADMIRAL DAY and construction begins on the new Port Control building.

Offline Ted Ingham

• Appreciation 35
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 14:30:47 »
Helcion,

I have managed to find another photo of the first Russian.I have enlarged the name board on the bridge and it looks like VITYAZ.
Regards,
Ted

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines