News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Background views of Dover Harbour  (Read 28351 times)

Offline helcion

• Appreciation 30
Re: Background views of Dover Harbour
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 10:26:57 »
Ted     -

More classics  -  thanks !

NIKOLAY KOPERNIK  -  Port of registry is RIGA, but I'm damned if I can make out some of the letters on your first Russki,  some lengthy name like AIT-----DZE perhaps.       
Lovely old ship though, with some rather odd gear on the bows & on the starboard side [the yellow bits], looking like fixed davits, wonder whether she was up to something a little devious as well as carrying cargo ?     
She didn't have the usual array of aerials that the 'Spy Ships' used to have though.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 77
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 09:51:40 »
It was great to see HMS Brighton in those 2 pics, she was my hubby's last ship before he left the RN and has fond memories of her. Brighton was the first British warship to join the Nato Squadron which went on tour all over the world ( Stanavforlant )The other ships were USA,Germany, and the Netherlands that was January 1968 .
He doesn't remember being in Dover though so obviously wasn't on her when these were taken.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline Ted Ingham

• Appreciation 35
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 09:27:25 »
A Belgian or French Patrol vessel departs Dover.Building going on in the distance.

Below:- The Soviet freighter Nikolay Kopernik alongside the Eastern Arm in the late 70's.

In the distance the Coastguard Station is completed including the communications aerial.Date 1979ish.

The name in English.Fellow ship enthusiast always had to strain there eyes to look for the name by the bridge.

Photographs from the Gordon Wise collection.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 29
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 22:40:35 »
Yes unfairytale i've just had a look in "Dover Castle" by J. Coad and he says a works tunnel was driven in from the Eastern Ditch.That would make an interesting thread if anyone knows any more about it.Good to know the reference library has got a copy of the other book.

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 31
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 22:01:07 »
An entrance to Dumpy is supposed to be in the Castle's East Ditch.
And last time I looked that book was in Dover Library. Locked in the reference section.
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 29
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 17:39:12 »
Yes it's interesting to look at the backgrounds of these photos.We had a discussion somewhere on the forum about the spoil heap under the Verandah so to speak.I've been up the railway track when it had a little truck at the top.Nobody bothered too much about kids in those days but we were unable to achieve our aim and get up onto that verandah.Didn't the track come down near the Drill Hall?The heap under the ditch might have been spoil then.I've read somewhere about an entrance to the WW2 tunnels being in the ditch,but since bricked up.In my youth there was a single story building in the ditch near the cliff edge.This is in a forum photo and from what i recall there was a sand-drag at the cliff end of it and bullet pock marked brickwork.Dover Library did have a copy too of "Conflict across the Strait".

Offline Ted Ingham

• Appreciation 35
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 16:36:25 »
THV Pathfinder and THL Lodesman lying alongside in the Camber.
Lodesman later operated from the then new Pilot Station at Folkestone.When Pilot exemption came into force she was used as a Lightship and Lightbuoy response vessel.I have some photos when she took me out to the South Goodwin Lightvessel in 1992 ish.

Below the DHB tug Dominant about to disconnect from the Reefer vessel Snow Crystal.Langdon Battery can be seen on the top.

Below:-HMS Eskimo alongside the Eastern Arm.In the background the old Port Control building.

Below:- A Soviet freighter alongside the Eastern Arm.They always had the name written in English on the bridge.I have tried to crack the Russian alphabet but it beat me.

Below:-The French Patrol vessel LYRE

and her sister ship Cephee.

Below:-The Inshore Minesweeper HMS Thornham

Below:- The Soviet research vessel Akademik Vernadsky alongside the Eastern Arm.A closer look shows the building of Dover Coastguard at Langdon Battery

Below:- HMS BRIGHTON in Dover.

Below:- The East German freighter John Brinkman alongside at the Eastern Arm.

All photographs from the Gordon Wise Collection.

delboy

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 20:53:04 »
 Hi Ted, In your second set of photos, the pilot vessel no 14 is the " Pathfinder" and here is a photo of the " Kinha " at her mooring /anchor position in the harbour , delboy

Offline Ted Ingham

• Appreciation 35
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 14:23:38 »
I have been loaned a collection of albums which were given to my colleague at work Gordon Wise.I shall over a period of time be scanning the collection and Gordon has given me permission to put them on the KHF.
They will be of ships that have visited the Port of Dover but it is the background that you might also find interesting.Unfortunately the photos are not dated.
Regards,Ted

Offline Ted Ingham

• Appreciation 35
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 18:12:18 »
A few more views.
Cheers,
Ted

Offline Ted Ingham

• Appreciation 35
Background views of Dover Harbour
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 13:58:51 »
A series of photographs and postcards taken over the years with the ever changing background of Dover Harbour.

The Trinity House Pilot Cutter "Pelorus" departs Eastern.

A close up of the background.

The "Stad Antwerpen" departs Dover.

The train ferry "Saint Germain" off Dover.

"Rapide" departing Admiralty Pier.

"Maidstone" laid up in the Wellington.

The flat iron collier "Lambeth"

Her sister ship "Kingston".Both owned by the South Eastern Gas Board"

Eastern Docks

Eastern Docks

Eastern Docks

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines