News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Walderslade Road, Chatham  (Read 7883 times)

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 27
Re: Walderslade Road, Chatham
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 11:11:00 »
Galgo23 has it right that the closure was brought in with the by-pass. I was involved with the re-routing of the bus services at the time and remember it well.

Offline Hollands

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 10:43:05 »
I'm a bit late replying to this, but it was still a through road in 1984, as I had a Saturday job in the Permark. I definitely remember cars parking out the front back then.

I used to live just down from Varney house, where the bypass is, as a younge child and I remember a big well being where the bypass is now - which they must have covered over.

Offline davidt

• Appreciation 18
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 17:59:58 »
I remember Walderslade Road as a through road as well. I was born in 1973 and remember shopping with my mum and struggling to get across the road because of the traffic. I can also vaguely remember being dragged along to a meeting at St Williams church where they were showing the plans of the bypass before it was built. That must have been sometime in the early 1980s.

scpeel87

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 20:14:15 »
I think the road was blocked off at the time the village by-pass was built in 1986.

I was born 1987, and I'm convinced I remember it happening.

And very sorry for my error re: Primark/Permark.. very stupid mistake.

Galgo23

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 11:59:02 »
I think the road was blocked off at the time the village by-pass was built in 1986.

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 125
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 21:25:49 »
Boxley Road was accessible from Walderslade Road, I'm not sure when the concrete bollards were added to prevent traffic.

The shop is PERMARK, and definitely  not PRIMARK :)
www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

scpeel87

Walderslade Road, Chatham
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 17:54:35 »
I have strong recollections of the road in the village passing all the way through, past where Primark is, but my parents have no memory of this whatsoever. Can anyone possibly confirm this, or even better provide photographic evidence? I may need it to prove my sanity!

Thanks
 :)

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines